Posts Tagged ‘The Green Plate Special’ »
About the Build »
The GreenPlate Special is complete. This has to be my most bold, creative and best piece to date. It’s currently my favorite. At least until the next kit. Ha!
The ‘GPS’ is a basic build with seams sanded and puttied. Originally I had painted it in “stock” colors, but felt it could had looked better. I used three different greens on different panels and raised areas to give it more eye-appeal. White was used as a highlight color and yellow-orange was used for the lenses and insides of verniers.
The decals were custom designed by myself. I had been wanting to use a particular font for a while now (font diner sparkly) but hadn’t had a good enough reason/project to use it on. When I decided to go for a retro 50′s look on the decals, that font screamed out to me.
For an added effect, all of the decals were done in white. This makes them stand out against the darker greens.
I added little weird touches to the decals. Check out the “Tasty” decal on the ass-plate armor. The fuel tanks also have various sayings on them. I have a weird sense of humor.
7.18.2003 » greenPlate
Next up in my que is my MG Zeta Plus C1 Repaint. This
one will be known as the Green Plate Special. There is a font that
I have been wanting to use forever for some project. Nothing seemed
appropriate to use it for until now. The font is called “fontdiner.com
sparkly”. It’s a 50s retro kinda look. Very fun font.
Anyway, I made these decals a few months ago when
I made my Type 100 Afterburner decals. The seafoam blue-green color
scheme fits in with the retro look I was going for. This kit will
also involve the same tight masking that was used on the Type 100,
but without the flames.
7.18.2003 » strip search
This evening I stripped the kit of it’s old paint
job. The original kit was painted “box colors” and no
seam lines or puttying was done. Since I used Tamiya for all the
paints, I was able to strip the kit using 91% isopropyl rubbing
alcohol. It ate the Tamiya quicker than 409 and didn’t leave the
gummy residue that 409 always leaves me. Here’s a “before”
pic of the kit and a drying parts “after” picture.
7.19.2003 » color update
Made a few minor color changes based on some feedback
and the fact that I colorized this before the shiki, so some knowledgable,
evolutionary, wisdom, changes were made. See above for the new colors
compared to the old.
8.16.2003 » been a while…
Hmmm… not much of a progress page if I’m going to
show the concept, then the near finished kit and nothing inbetween.
I’m applying the decals now and should be done in a week or so.
Obviously, these parts will look much better once I put the flat
8.21.2003 » new and improved
I got a decent digital camera! Here’s an almost done,
clear, teaser pic.