Author Topic: Luna Pawn (my 1st completed kit)  (Read 2843 times)

July 19, 2008, 07:35:50 PM
Read 2843 times

makalaka

• Information
    • View Profile
    • More of A blog.

the rest of the pics can be seen here
http://picasaweb.google.com/kmakhanlall/LunaPawn?authkey=PxahJ6N7uOE&feat=directlink

Like the title says this is my first completed model since I decided to build them the "right" way with putty, paint and all that. Which was way back at the beginning of last summer. I started the model in Dec. I kept on getting side tracked by other things like school and halo more recently. had to "finish the fight"  :D 

I used poly scale and tamiya clear acrylics for the model. Celluclay and woodland scenics talus for the base which I colored with tamiya weathering master set and also weathered the kit with it. He was supposed to be walking on the moon but now because of the colors, its more like an asteroid...

I messed up on a ton of stuff and it didn't turn out exactly how I thought it was but it was fun project and I'm happy with the end result. I was gonna list everything that didn't go the way I wanted and what mistakes I made but I'm curious on what you guys come up with that doesn't look right. So please critique my "work"   ^_^

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:36:14 PM by makalaka »

July 19, 2008, 08:12:05 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Nice work for a first model. Better than a lot of other first "real" models I've seen so kudos to you. My only complaint would be the lack of face painting. Even a little highlight and shadow would help since it looks like bare plastic under the visor. Even painting the head all black would be preferable.

Aside from that it could use some more fine chipping. It looks like you went for a 2-tone camo, but a little additional chipping would look nice. Use a med-dark gray with a little rust color mixed in and apply the chips with a fine brush and a bit of sponge. (test on scrap)

July 20, 2008, 03:58:48 PM
Reply #2

makalaka

• Information
    • View Profile
    • More of A blog.
thanks

I was hoping the lack of color on the head would be less noticeable but I guess not. The plan was to add a bunch of detail into it put I kept on messing up so I just painted it a skin tone in the face and gray for his helmet hood thing. I'll attempt it again later when I get more skill.

I might try out the chipping thing though. I'll just test it out like crazy to be confident enough to try it. I was too chicken to add anything else with paint. The pigments could just be wiped off if I added too much which is why I used just that.

July 22, 2008, 12:16:32 PM
Reply #3

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
That's cool. I really like the colors on this. The red markings and red visor really make this one stand out from all the other LPs I have seen. There's a lot of red, but not too much, it ties the model together. It's a great first completed model effort.

I really like how the camo pattern has a hard edge close up, but the small spots and flakes visually "blend" the colors so it doesn't look as hard edge camo as it really is.

Never point out the mistakes you have made on a model.
I wonder about the guy that can sit through a David Lynch movie and say, "I saw that coming."

Krueger's Krieger