Author Topic: ALPHA's Berserk EVA-01  (Read 22067 times)

April 12, 2007, 10:29:00 AM
Read 22067 times

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
1st serious post at these forums...

And, this is the first of my many shelved Grails I tackle. The rest are still locked away safely in my lock less IKEA glass cases.
And, it so happens to be a mech (making kind of appropriate to post here). Or rather 3 mechs if you count the ones making up the base.
I have always been a fan of organic looking sculptures (Takayuki Takeya is sort of a house God here and this kit is sculpted by his frequent collaborator, Kenji Ando), so Alpha's non scale (about 17cm high, or like a smaller 1/8 figure) Berserk EVA-01 appealed to me the first time I saw it back in '98.

It's the one with the wing growing out of her left shoulder, standing over the squirming 00 (yellow version, desperately clutching the spear of Longinus) and 02, both appearing to be half engulfed in some sort of fluid; blood or LCL?

Since the surface detail is so exquisite (lots and lots of corrosion and fleshy/organic areas), I believe I will paint this kit mostly by hand, only using the airbrush for the basic armor colors. I'll use mostly oils for details and washing and I will play around a lot with different surface finishes (gloss, flat etc) in order to give this piece Life.

Overview

Partially assembled and partially dry mounted base

Another angle also showing of more parts

Yet another angle

Dry mounted torso with left arm

I've ordered a base from the Good Dr.H over at
It's a round walnut one with the NERV logo engraved into it, covering all of the surface.

I did a quick sketch and begun doodling about the placing of the kit:

I have never been a stranger to butchering kits; even grails, so ...

And the End result ended up quite as what I was after ...

More to come...  8)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:03:26 PM by Joa »

April 12, 2007, 10:43:37 AM
Reply #1

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
When it comes to mechs, I've always liked the bulkier, non-humanoid looking ones. That being said, the EVAs have always held a certain appeal--perhaps because of that truly organic appearance they have.

This looks like a really fun, and finely detailed kit. I can't wait to see how it looks once you've taken paint to it.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

April 12, 2007, 04:11:49 PM
Reply #2

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
... the EVAs have always held a certain appeal--perhaps because of that truly organic appearance they have.

And that's exactly why I absolutely Love the design of'em...  :evil:

The end result of today's session was that I finally got to see what this monstrosity actually looks like.
I mean, that paint up pic I linked to in the first post doesn't really do this kit justice, but it was the only one I've ever seen.
Now that I know what I'm working on I can but wonder 2 things;
1) Why didn't I buy this kit sooner?
2) Why did it take me so long to get it to the work bench?

All parts have been pinned, especially the wing parts

All major parts were sculpted in with Milliputty

And the result, prior to putting all parts in a degreasing bath over night was this beautiful mock-up (sans shoulder pad):

Tomorrow's priming day...  8)

April 13, 2007, 11:15:26 AM
Reply #3

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
And I stand by my word...
All parts are primed and awaiting pinhole inspection tomorrow morning.

And .. The base was finished today!!!  :evil:
It totally kicks all kinds of ass and here are a few words from my sponsor:

Quote from: Dr.H
Just finished Joa's most recent base. ;)
This one was the Nerv Logo on a 1" thick walnut round base. The base was 24.2cm(9.528") round with a 1/2" Ogee routered edge. It was grain filled and stained walnut then sprayed with 3 coats of lacquer. After it cured overnight I masked it and engraved the nerv logo leaving a 4.5mm space between the routered edge and the logo. The logo was to be engraved 1.3mm(.0512") deep.
The logo was a bit tricky since I had to make a vector copy of the original then buy the font used so I could fix the fact the original logo text was on an arch and wouldn't fit a proper circle. I basically had to remake the whole logo from scratch while making it match the original but now that I have it in vector I'm happy and can used it now in any size in future projects :D .

Here is the base before Joa does his handy work on it with the figure and filling:

I cannot recommend Todd's wood work enough, so if you have any special designs or insignias you want inlaid / engraved; Dr.H is the man to turn to! =)

more to come...  8)

April 13, 2007, 12:21:04 PM
Reply #4

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
nice base!  May I ask how much it cost you?

April 13, 2007, 12:55:51 PM
Reply #5

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
That's a fantastic base and being an Eva fan as well am looking forward to how you do this one up!

April 13, 2007, 04:02:58 PM
Reply #6

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
nice base!  May I ask how much it cost you?

Here's the break down of this custom made base (including reworking of the logo + new font):

Quote from: Dr.H
Materials cost about $37 with the wood and font.
Tooling, graphic editing and engraving was around 5 hrs @$50hr(standard woodworking rate lol I don't even want to guess how much graphic designers make an hr) is around $250, I'll toss in the laser fee for free so If I was to come up with an actual number it would be around $287.

If this base was ordered now with all necessary preps already made, the cost would be about $175; felt bottom included

So, since this was a base ordered with quite specific specs, the cost reflects that.
Should you order a simpler design or something less spectacular (it's all depending on materials, coatings, treatments etc), you'd end up a lot less expensive.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 04:23:07 PM by Joa »

April 13, 2007, 06:12:54 PM
Reply #7

Kiske

• Outlaw
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • Ravious Works
looks great Joa, By the way whats up. I have never seen this version of the beserk EAV-01 before but it looks amazing so far. Can't wait to see the kit primes so I can get a long good look. :sarcasm: Very nice base aswell. Keep it coming! :pirate:

April 14, 2007, 03:35:42 PM
Reply #8

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
@Kyle: thanks =) Yeah .. It's a fairly rare kit and I'm really glad I was able to snag one off of YJA at a decent price.

The primed parts were checked for pinholes today. Not much to do, but putty has to cure so I started early in order to get some paint on the piece today ... ^^

The details really come out once the flat primer dries; the head will be a blast to paint with its open mouth. I just need to do one lil' alteration...  :evil:

First paint session... tedious and doesn't look like much but I'll get there eventually...  :meh:

The book in the background is Evangelion in 3D 2nd ed.

More to come...  8)

April 14, 2007, 08:53:16 PM
Reply #9

Kiske

• Outlaw
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • Ravious Works
So I take it you plan to do EVA-00 in the prototype orange/yello rather than the Blue?

Seeing your mods to the mouth remind me of venom (spiderman) hmmm idae maybe...  :D

April 14, 2007, 11:54:58 PM
Reply #10

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
So I take it you plan to do EVA-00 in the prototype orange/yello rather than the Blue?

Well, after all it Is the yellow prototype; 00 sans shoulder pads and not the blue, 00'.
I guess I could scratch a shoulder pad for 00' and alter the chest plate, and now that I think of it it is kind of non consequent having the 00 there as the 02 unit hadn't been produced when 00 was around (got frozen in Bakelite and disabled after its berserk attack on Gendo; remember).
Hmm... interesting .. this project might take longer than I first thought.
Then again, I have never been a stranger to modifying kits / take new directions in mid air, so why not?
I'll let you know what happens...

A few hours later

I hate you, Kyle...  :doh:

But it looks infinitely better; more balance to the whole set up, so thank you also for making me think about this!  ^_^
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:25:01 AM by Joa »

April 15, 2007, 02:27:31 PM
Reply #11

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
Ok, I spent today sculpting the new tounge according to the PS layout I did yesterday + marveled at my own intelligence remembering an old HG EVA kit I could slaughter for a (02!) shoulder pad converting the 00 into 00'.

The tounge turned out quite "nice" I believe... ^^

The Alpha kit and the HG are almost identical in scale, the HG being slightly bulkier. 'Easily taken care of with a hobby knife and some putty (Milliputty and a mix of Bondo&Tamiya + acetone):

It certainly pays off to save those spare injection kits...  :ninja:

More to come  8)

April 15, 2007, 03:19:49 PM
Reply #12

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Looking awesome, great kit and the wip is really detailled and interesting!
Can't wait to see more.

April 15, 2007, 09:36:09 PM
Reply #13

Mindless

• Information
    • View Profile
So that's what the kit looked like. I had problems making out specific details before the primer / paint came on. Looks great so far though. Keep up the good work!

But first and foremost, I can't tell you how happy I am to see a swedish modeler (judging by the paper in this picture anyway) besides my self build anime related (especially mecha) models!  ^_^
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:36:44 PM by Mindless »

April 16, 2007, 12:09:19 AM
Reply #14

Garylok

• Information
    • View Profile
im really excited to see the end result, i hate all this suspense!

April 16, 2007, 03:23:38 AM
Reply #15

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
@mindless: Det kan du fethajja, och vi är fler än du tror, även om just mitt område mest gäller figurer... =)

All good things...

I'm glad I did this =)

For once I'm glad I made a mistake waaaaay back over priming a painted kit; the primer reacted with the paint underneath creating spider webs and boils.
I debated whether I should strip the 00 before priming it and remembered this lesson. I figured if it happened it'd add a bit of that 00'-esque look from episode 23 where Rei fought the angel that invaded and eventually killed that clone of her.
If not; well, there you go... ;)

More to come...  8)

April 16, 2007, 03:32:36 AM
Reply #16

Mindless

• Information
    • View Profile
Haha, kan lova dig att det inte finns många här uppe i norrland. Inte som jag känner till iallafall.

*cough*

Interesting effect, not entierly sure I like it. Either way, it will probably look good in the end.  :-)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:01:52 AM by Mindless »

April 16, 2007, 05:53:45 AM
Reply #17

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Shaping up beautifully, Joa. And that base? Wow!  :twitch:

Maybe we (FFF members) should look into some theme-oriented group buy from Dr.H (Zeon-logo base or something)...
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

April 16, 2007, 10:54:30 AM
Reply #18

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
And that base? Wow!  :twitch:
Maybe we (FFF members) should look into some theme-oriented group buy from Dr.H (Zeon-logo base or something)...

Trust me; you wouldn't be disappointed. This NERV base is the 4th I order from Todd and the 5th custom order I place with him. I'm 120% satisfied.
+ If you are a few ppl placing a group order it will most certainly be quite affordable ;)

Quote from: Masa @ GKJ
Plastic 02 shoulder parts on a resin 00... I'm notifying the authorities!

Lol ... yeah, I'm not a purist, but to some I bet it's blasphemy... ^^

I'll soon tackle the 00' but I've not been resting while the primer cures.
Bring forth the oil paint ...

I finished the inside of both jaws...

.. And the wing. I wanted that *bone* look to it, as the feathers aren't really sculpted as such + it will go really well against that walnut base.

Now for some dinner and I'll be back later...

Stay tuned  8)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 10:57:36 AM by Joa »

April 16, 2007, 11:40:55 AM
Reply #19

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
The feathers look great you blasphemer! Aren't oils wonderful?