Author Topic: 1/20 Gans Salvage Ma.k Diorama  (Read 33622 times)

May 15, 2015, 01:18:10 PM
Reply #40

Sticky Fingers

• Frankensteiner
  • Information
  • Stickier than thou
    • View Profile
Love all the work you're putting into this build  :-)
(Nice weathering on the garden tiles by the way  :D )
"Hang on a minute, lads, I've got a great idea!"

May 17, 2015, 12:53:41 AM
Reply #41

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Sticky! Haha yeah those tiles were a lot of work! ;)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

May 17, 2015, 11:18:30 PM
Reply #42

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile

Got a nice chunk of shed time yesterday so was able to make some good progress.

Started with the eye detail, gave it a base coat of a black/silver/brown mix

Then used some some standard rust and old rust pigments to enhance the rusty look in places

And grabbed some enamel paints and brushed some colour onto the wires and pipes

Then I used a darker black/red/yellow mix to add some chips to the front of the eye cap

And added some grime with old rust pigment

So its now done and in place in the which meant I can now continue with the head, using the same chipping mix for the eye cap I painted the recess where I've left off an inspection panel, and dipped in a piece of small rough sponge with tweezers and added paint chips here and there. I never have a plan when doing this, I just put them where I feel they would be and stop when it feels right.

Which meant I can now continue with the head, using the same chipping mix for the eye cap I painted the recess where I've left off an inspection panel, and dipped in a piece of small rough sponge with tweezers and added paint chips here and there. I never have a plan when doing this, I just put them where I feel they would be and stop when it feels right.

And while I had the paint brush out I mixed up another black/red/yellow enamel mix and added the base old metal colour to the back of the leg stabilisers, the leg fixing point, the rocket tube mounts and also sponged it over my base engine colour to add a tarnished steel look

I also made a small start on the foot detail before I ran out of time. The heel flap is now dry in its new position

For now all I've done is cover over where the leg pokes into the foot

Next I'll add some struts and bits and bobs to finish off so I can get on with priming and painting the legs.

Thanks for looking, more soon :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

May 17, 2015, 11:34:43 PM
Reply #43

Hemish

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katoots.com
Loving that damaged eye, I so  need to get back and finish some projects

May 18, 2015, 01:35:33 AM
Reply #44

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile

May 18, 2015, 10:18:53 AM
Reply #45

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Just a tiny update, i know i said id be doing foot detail next but i couldnt resist just grabbing some old rust and graveyard dirt pigments and adding them to the head.

I love the pigment stage, may add a little bright rust in literally just a couple of places before sealing it all.

But foot will be next.

May 20, 2015, 11:07:33 PM
Reply #46

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Another small update, got the foot detail sorted, so I can get the leg primed

And I painted the rear of the chin and back armor armor plates a base rust colour, which I also sponged on the front for chips

And I added some light rust to the head to accentuate the rusted areas

Next I'll get the leg sprayed and the grey and continue the chipping on other parts

May 24, 2015, 11:17:09 AM
Reply #47

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Update time! Had nice afternoon modelling in the shed, really wanted to be able to make a start getting the main body bits on, so started by pigmenting the engine bits with old rust/standard rust/light rust so they are done and ready to go

Then I mixed some enamels for my chipping mix which was sponged over the main body

Then I went through my pigment routine, graveyard dirt (a very dark black brown) for grime and shadow, and to help break up the colour focusing on edges/dips/details

And then switched to light rust/standard rust/old rust to highlight rusted ares and break up the tone of graveyard dirt in place

Then applied the same regime to the leg stabilisers

And then finally time to get it all together

So now thats done, next I'll work on the upper part of the torso and the rocket tubes so I can get the rest of the body together

Thanks for looking, more soon  :-)

May 25, 2015, 01:26:25 AM
Reply #48

blacklotus

• Information
    • View Profile
nice weathering you have going there, very nice work :number1 :number1 :number1

May 26, 2015, 01:43:57 AM
Reply #49

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile

May 27, 2015, 11:34:43 AM
Reply #50

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Just a quick update, I've got the rear armor plate on

Chipped the rocket tubes

And then after pigmenting got them attached, going to have them at a more dynamic pose so it looks a bit more interesting when its collapsed on the floor, and did a dry fit of the top part on the main body.

Next up I'll do the spring cables from the stabilisers to the leg and body and then it can be all glued in place, and I'll start chipping and pigmenting the legs. So the damaged gans is not far off done!

May 28, 2015, 06:04:52 AM
Reply #51

Sticky Fingers

• Frankensteiner
  • Information
  • Stickier than thou
    • View Profile
Loving this!
What I might do, personally, is shave off some bolt detail here and there and drill holes where the bolts were. Adds nice little places of interest, where oil might have leaked out or rust might have started. Just an idea, keep doing your own thing!
"Hang on a minute, lads, I've got a great idea!"

May 31, 2015, 12:38:48 PM
Reply #52

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Sticky! And cheers for the ideas, too late to implement them at this stage, but thanks anyway

Okay more progress, got lots done, started with the legs, I chipped and pigmented them and also sponged on some orange on the top armour plates to give an extra chipped look where the paint hasn't taken very well.

The it was hip armour time, started by chipping as usal with the sponge, but then sponged over orange, and then some more chips over that before adding some light grime with pigments

So all sub assemblies are now complete and I'm ready to whack it all together

Next up I tackled the springs, for spring tubes I like to use solder inside to give good easy flexibility for natural looking curves and strength to hold position.

When in I mixed up some old rust, gun metal, graveyard dirt, black smoke, and standard rust pigments with some watered down vallejo matte varnish to make a rusty slurry that once dry will give a nice dusty finish I'll use light rust to highlight

I also slapped some in the leg joint wells as because of the angles I have the legs at it may be visible

And added a leg cable, instead of using the vinyl plastic ones I opted for black coated wire so I can have it bent at a nice angle that it will hold to look like its hanging down

And then I got the legs on, I'm having them way more angled than they would usually be, so I left out the PE sleeve that holds the leg pin firmly and straight. So I put a blob of greenstuff in the joint and pressed it in to form the hole in the position I want then removed the leg pin and filled it with super glue and popped it back in, so when glue and greenstuff are dry it will be really solid.

Then I glued the hip armor in place and now the legs are in I can get the spring tubes in place that go from stabiliser to the leg piston

And now the spring tubes are done I glued the top section onto the body

I'm going to wait until the legs are totally solid before I start mucking about with the head just in case I knock something, so thats what I'll be doing next.

June 02, 2015, 11:36:19 AM
Reply #53

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Just a small update, the head is now on

And I added some standard rust to the now dry pigment gloop I added to the springs

Now I'm starting the base, I already cut the wood, now I've marked out and trimmed down the sides and the front as I want it to be sloped down towards some water

Its not glued yet, just held it together with white tack to check it, next up I'll get it together and start building up the groundwork with insulation foam and polystyrene.

June 05, 2015, 11:02:58 AM
Reply #54

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Your WIP's are always getting more and more detailed. Really nice work.

Where do you end up displaying these pieces?

June 05, 2015, 11:09:58 AM
Reply #55

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Shark, good to hear from you! My pieces are displayed mostly at my house and some at my parents, wherever i can find shelf space!

June 08, 2015, 12:43:29 PM
Reply #56

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Update time! Got the base sides all glued into place and after priming hit it with some satin black spray paint

Started trimming down some insulation foam to rough out the basic shape of my sloped riverbank, I'll have to dig out a crater and shape it a bit more before filling gaps and slathering the whole thing with a sloppy groundwork mix

For now I've started getting to work on the two figures, its a 1/20 build so of course I reach for the obligatory tamiya pit crew as a starting point, mixed and matched a couple of interesting poses

The head and faces are pretty awful on these figures, I'm going for a cold weather look, so one will have his face partially covered with a scarf (and maybe a hat), the other guy is going to have a face left over from my fireball diorama. It suits this fine as he looks like he's wearing a balaclava.

So cut ugly guys head off, and the thick location pin and base of the fireball pilots head, and using some styrene coated wire made a neck and after drilling holes fitted it onto the torso

Also pretty sure in the ma.k universe flares are out, so I got out the saw and scalpel to cut it away

I'll shape it a little more and use greenstuff to give a trousers tucked into boots look, for now I'm back on the torso and glued on some arms, found one that looks like it could be holding a radio to his mouth so I'll be scratching one at some point

Just white tacked on the legs to see how it looks together

And couldn't resist roughing out the composition, pretty sure this is how it will look, one guy radioing the find through and the other bending over looking it over, with the head of the gans into the water a bit

And back to the squatting radio guy, want to give him a hooded jacket, so grabbed the greenstuff and pressed some into the gap at the back of his head just to give it some substance

Then using my sculpting tools and more greenstuff started to build up some scarf and collar detail

And used a thin piece to make a hood, and continued building the collar

I want to give the hood a fluffy trim like a parka jacket, so I rolled a sausage of greenstuff, put it around the hood, and then used some scissors to cut out little triangles then rough it up and blend it more with a sharp scalpel

Really pleased with how thats looking, next I'll have to give his jacket sleeves, and continue on the legs.

June 08, 2015, 09:58:34 PM
Reply #57

blacklotus

• Information
    • View Profile
really good work, i like how is coming along and i can't wait to see it finish, and seeing the composition of the dio before it is finish is the cherry on the top  :number1

June 10, 2015, 01:35:25 AM
Reply #58

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks blacklotus! :)

June 10, 2015, 08:20:41 AM
Reply #59

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
That hood with the fur trim turned out really well!