Author Topic: 1/24 Extreme Turbine Combat Racer - Kitbash  (Read 41223 times)

June 22, 2012, 05:57:40 PM
Reply #20

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
This is getting better and better.

June 23, 2012, 12:50:18 PM
Reply #21

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Lovin' all the little details there :)

Thanks Shark!

This is getting better and better.

Cheers John!

Got some more model time today, started working on the pilot, had to do some fine surgery to him, the 956 body is very low so once I got his head on I had to file down his lower back a bit more, snap of his feet and then file the sides of them down. All the while checking the fit, also had to cut down my side panels in the cockpit to also help it fit beter. All in all it was a long fiddely process!

You can also see in that picture that I've glued in another piece of styrene, this is to just give me an area to affix the joystick base too

For the main shaft of the joystick I just put some thin copper tube in some thicker brass tube, I used tube so that I can make the top piece attach it to the pilots hand and then just insert it into the tube with the minimun of fuss. Also cut a length of 1.2mm spring tube for the pipe going from is mask to the respirator.

Also drilled the hole for the pipe in the pilots face, man this guy has had a rough day today!!

And have now primed him ready to paint

I'll brush paint the pilot with enamels, which I will start tomorrow. Looking forward to getting some paint into this build, even if it is just the pilot.

More soon guys thanks for looking  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 24, 2012, 12:48:56 AM
Reply #22

ultramini

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Ultramini!
Big work! Really enjoyable!  ^_^
Make Everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Galleries and WIP on Flickr!
My Blog (in italian)

June 26, 2012, 09:05:03 AM
Reply #23

MGmodeler

• Information
    • View Profile
    • MGmodeler
WOW Hunter great work on this kitbash so far.  I can't wait to see some paint on this esp. the pilot.  I'm scared to paint some realistic looking faces... :wacko:

June 26, 2012, 11:58:04 AM
Reply #24

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks ultramini!

Thanks MG! Man I hear you about faces, why do you think I went for a pilot whose face is mostly covered by a mask!  :lol:

I wanted to have painted him by now but have been busy with the family, will be painting him tomorrow
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:04:06 PM by Hunter Rose »
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 26, 2012, 02:54:42 PM
Reply #25

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile

June 26, 2012, 11:15:41 PM
Reply #26

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
 :twitch: 1/35th??!! Holy crap.............  :bag:

:lol:

June 27, 2012, 12:13:57 PM
Reply #27

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Okay managed to get the pilot painted, used humbrol enamel paint, still need to give him a gloss coat so I can do some pin washes then give him a matt coat to even out the finish.

The final paint scheme of the racer is going to be a bright green with some dark green on it so went for a green outfit for the pilot, and did the seatbelt red just as a contrast, the red lenses of his goggles were done by first painting them with silver enamel paint, then putting a blob of tamiya clear red over them. I'm no figure painter but I'm pretty happy with it.

Next I'll prime the cockpit ready for paint, then start work on my dash board display which will be lit.

Been a busy week with the family, not to mention tiring! So progress has been slow , but should be more soon.

Thanks for looking guys  :-)

July 06, 2012, 08:43:00 AM
Reply #28

wittmann

• Information
    • View Profile
 :love:

......I love this work!!

Bravo!

July 06, 2012, 10:32:40 AM
Reply #29

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks wittmann!  :-)

I was finally able to get into the modelling shed today!! Its funny you wouldn't think that working your modelling schedule around raising a 4 month old baby would be so hard!  ^_^

First off I finished the figure, gave him a gloss coat then using a black enamel wash added some shadows, then gave it a matt coat and used mig pigments to highlight, and also deepen some some shadows. I have to say I'm really pleased with how the pilot came out, I do feel like my figure painting is improving.

Also got the shaft of the joystick glued in

Then could prime the cockpit

Then I gave it a flat black tamiya coat

The details will be handpainted with enamels.

So thats where I'm at, will be more soon though, work has been insane (which is another reason why this topic has been quiet!) but I'm off all next week so will hopefully be able to get in a good long modelling stint.
Next I'm going to sort out the dash board control/dial panel and start thinking about wiring and stuff.

More soon guys thanks for looking  :-)

July 10, 2012, 11:39:24 AM
Reply #30

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Got the cockpit details sorted

Started by drybrushing with a mid grey to bring out some details and edges

Then put in some details with some red and white, and increased the highlighting of the vents

Want to keep the details quite simple, dont want it too busy.

Painted the respirator unit a darkish green

Painted the chair a dark brown, and dry brushed a little silver mixed with grey on the side where the pilot will be climbing in and out of the racer

Then drybrushed a lighter brown over the chair, and also highlighted the vent intakes some more

Tomorrow I'm going to FINALLY start the dashboard! more soon thenks for looking  :-)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:41:01 AM by Hunter Rose »

July 11, 2012, 12:10:32 PM
Reply #31

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Okay so for my dashboard I took a 1/24 truck wingmirror from my italieri truck accessories set and chopped the bottom off of it

then glued it to some .5mm styrene sheet

I then trimmed around the edge and sanded it flush

This control unit is going to sit on the dash, i'll drill some holes in it for the lit buttons as I'm going to drill a hole in the dash under it and poke an led through

Go the pilot glued into position, and made the joystick top, and the pilots thumb with aves

When dry I painted the thumb the green and the joystick top black. Also got the breathing pipe in place, which is 1.2mm spring tube with some fuse wire in it for strength and flexibility which was painted black.

Just a quick dry fit to show how it will look

Really pleased with how things are going, I'm starting to get over the feeling of being overwhelmed by this build!

More soon guys!  :-)

July 11, 2012, 01:57:44 PM
Reply #32

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Looking at this make me feel like I'm stick to my airbrush too much. It's like I wanted to paint all with an AB.
Need to open my mind a little bit and use some brush also.

Nice work!

July 11, 2012, 07:00:43 PM
Reply #33

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Hairy sticks for the win!

The pilot looks great, he really belongs in that cockpit, and the green/red contrast is smart since it's clearly visible through the windscreen.

July 12, 2012, 01:22:55 PM
Reply #34

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Looking at this make me feel like I'm stick to my airbrush too much. It's like I wanted to paint all with an AB.
Need to open my mind a little bit and use some brush also.

Nice work!

Thanks Jiloo! I love my airbrush, but its nice to switch to brushes for figures, feels like less hassle!

Hairy sticks for the win!

The pilot looks great, he really belongs in that cockpit, and the green/red contrast is smart since it's clearly visible through the windscreen.

Thanks Will, I am so pleased with how it turned out, and thats exactly why I went for a strong contrast between the belt and the guy, knew there wouldn't be much of a view through those windows.

Cheers for the kind words guys!  :-)

July 12, 2012, 11:56:07 PM
Reply #35

baphomet44

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Rust, dust, and stuff
This is really damn spiffy. Keep the posts coming! Im dying to see how this winds up

July 14, 2012, 01:57:05 PM
Reply #36

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
This is really damn spiffy. Keep the posts coming! Im dying to see how this winds up

Thanks dude! Me too  :lol:

July 19, 2012, 12:28:50 PM
Reply #37

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Update time!

Started by cutting some styrene to cover the front of what will be the weapon pods, where the apollo engine pieces meet the porshe body.

I then glued them into place

I filed the front bits before I put the styrene pieces in place but there were still slight gaps, so I brushed some super glue to fill

Next I thinned down some squadron white ( I ususally do this to make it smoother and I find it easier to control) and brushed it into the gap between the styrene sheet and the weapon pod fronts.

Once the putty has dried I'll sand it all flush and start work on the weapons, want to get them done ready for getting the cockpit glued in, going to make some plasma cannons for the front which I'll have a blue led in each, so I need to get them in so I can sort the wiring.

More soon thanks for looking  :-)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:02:27 PM by Hunter Rose »

July 20, 2012, 08:05:50 PM
Reply #38

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Resident member of the Pixie Symphony.
  • Information
  • "I will kill you so dead right now."
    • View Profile
Wow, I've been using the same Squadron putty and I had no idea you could thin it like that.  That's probably so much easier...
._."

Thank you for posting that!
Also: I really love seeing this model come together like this.  It's really cool, keep up the awesome work!
I do other things, too.

July 21, 2012, 01:30:00 AM
Reply #39

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Tuba Pixie!

Yeah you can thin it down with either acetone (nail varnish remover) or what I use most of the time (just because I always have it to hand in the shed) is celluslose paint thinners.