Author Topic: Panel line ink drying immediately?  (Read 2863 times)

June 17, 2011, 05:02:36 AM
Read 2863 times

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Hi there!

I was testing a little bit of painting on a fairly easy subject, a solid coloured 1/144 beam saber.

The beam saber is a dark blue entirely, and I've since painted the handle white, and it looks pretty good to me. After painting I coated the handle with a layer of Tamiya Semi Gloss Clear (TS-79).

There's like two panels on the handle, so I figured I'd grab my GM01 Fine tipped Gundam Marker and fill them in. When I did that, and grabbed my cotton swab to wipe some excess off, I had found that the the black panel ink had already dried, and couldn't really be wiped off anymore. I achieved some success with a toothpick, but I've also chipped the paint a little bit when I wasn't being too careful.

The part was first primed with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (Light Gray) and then sprayed white with Tamiya Matt White (TS-27).

Is it the semi gloss coat that sucked the panel ink in, should I have used a gloss coat first or no clear coat at all before the panel line?

August 16, 2011, 10:02:50 PM
Reply #1

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Panel lines are difficult at the best of times. I have learned the hard way,you need a glossy surface. I don't have much luck with ink either.

I tend to use diluted paints with water,not thinners so that it runs easy,doesn't want to stick,and dries slower. Usually I use vallejo acrylics cause they hand paint nicely and thin nicely with water. I have used semi gloss and gloss with success all the time. Did you go over the marker with ink? If so, that is probably what screwed you. I find that the markers are kind of useless in that they don't coat evenly,and they tend to stick too much, so mixing with paint just kind of globs it up and stops good flow.  

As a general rule, the glossier the better the lines will run,and thinned quite a bit works best. You can always go over them again if you want them darker. The more watery,the less chance of them being a can't go back scenario. This will also make the capillary action smoother and easier cleanup.
Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:04:36 PM by Grail »
Throw it Hard