Author Topic: Starcraft 1/30 diorama ver DC23  (Read 4030 times)

May 01, 2011, 05:15:57 AM
Read 4030 times

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
I have finally completed my Starcraft diorama last night. I have finished painting the 1/30 Zerg Hydralisk more than a month ago and the Terran Marine has been sitting unpainted since then. The Terran Marine kit is basically my first fully hand painted kit so far.

I primed the kit with my usual industrial grade primer ( Bosny grey primer ) and let it cure for a day. I then hand painted the kit with all sorts of Vallejo paints, washes, pigments and 3 kinds of Vallejo varnishes. I enjoyed hand painting this so much, I need to look for more Sci Fi figures to paint. I am thinking Warhammer and should get a set sometime soon.

The Vallejo paints are a delight to use except for the Vallejo washes. The washes being water base is impossible to clean up without harming the Vallejo undercoat. Although I was lazy to mix some enamels for washes as it always ruins my brushes. So I had to settle for the pool marks of the Vallejo washes.

The 3 varnishes are nice, notice that the body of the zerg and the face of the Terran are matte, the Terran body armor are satin and selected parts of the Zerg are super glossy. All the varnishes are also hand painted and it worked like a charm.

Now here are some photos of my 1/30 Terran Marine over a Zerg Hydralisk diorama...

MORE PHOTOS in my blog as usual - http://dc23-mecharts.blogspot.com/2011/05/starcraft-academy-130-diorama-ver-dc23.html

Thanks for dropping by! :)

May 01, 2011, 10:33:00 AM
Reply #1

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
You did great on this old figure... :)

May 01, 2011, 06:09:20 PM
Reply #2

U-recca

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • http://www.plamowarriordx.com
Very nice! I'll have to give those Vallejo colors a shot at some point.
http://www.plamowarriordx.com

/!\ Caution: Overuse of these timely and informative news updates can lead to excessive expenditures on hobby products. Use with care to avoid potential financial and/or marital distress!

-Model Graphix

May 01, 2011, 08:12:11 PM
Reply #3

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
@  Steel-Mark, thanks sir! its in fix pose though as the articulation is really bad. :)

@ U-recca, yeah they are great and relatively cheap. Enamels and oils are still best for the washes though. :(

May 05, 2011, 02:10:54 PM
Reply #4

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Looks great man.  Your figure painting loks very nice.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

May 06, 2011, 09:52:37 PM
Reply #5

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
@ mvm3897, Thanks for the encouraging words Matt, still need to learn a lot though. :)

May 20, 2011, 10:02:17 PM
Reply #6

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Full points DC! Great colors and staging! I really like the green blood too!
Awesome again!  :D
Throw it Hard

May 22, 2011, 09:00:21 AM
Reply #7

mathai

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Mathai
Great work! I love that worn metal finish on the suit and his 5'o clock shadow looks so real, too bad its partially covered by the suit. Nice diorama too!

July 27, 2011, 08:57:03 PM
Reply #8

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
@ Grail, Thank you as always sir! glad you liked the green blood, kinda cautious on doing that. :)

@ mathai, thank you for the kind words sir, I enjoyed this build so much! Gotta love those vallejo paints! :)