Author Topic: Non-scale Bandai Evangelion unit 00 (Rebuild of Eva version)  (Read 5350 times)

October 29, 2008, 08:16:04 AM
Read 5350 times

NorrisPackard

• Information
  • 'zup dawg?
    • View Profile
Finished another one!

I spent around 3 days building and 4-5 days painting this one. Nothing fancy here, mostly an OOB build with the only modifications being the lengthening of the Lance of Longinus, some scratchbuilt melee weapons(pictures to follow), and of course the slightly modified paintjob.

Here are the pics:

Thanks for looking!
We are all entitled to our own opinions, but some opinions are wrong!

October 29, 2008, 08:59:45 AM
Reply #1

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
The paint job is spectacular! Love the hexagonal pattern!
Can't wait to see the weapons.

October 29, 2008, 10:13:20 AM
Reply #2

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
The hexes are a great and perfect touch to this kit. Nice work! Reminds me I have these to do as well.

October 30, 2008, 10:22:01 AM
Reply #3

NorrisPackard

• Information
  • 'zup dawg?
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot guys! :D :D

@fichtenfoo: Looking forward to seeing those done someday :-).

October 30, 2008, 11:07:51 AM
Reply #4

Legacy40k

• Information
    • View Profile
    • LegacyStudios.ca
looks great.  I'd love to know how you made the hexes.

October 30, 2008, 11:54:24 AM
Reply #5

NorrisPackard

• Information
  • 'zup dawg?
    • View Profile
looks great.  I'd love to know how you made the hexes.

Thanks. They're just stencils made from masking tape. I used an architectural template/stencil to draw in uniformly shaped hexes and then I just cut 'em out.

October 30, 2008, 01:00:59 PM
Reply #6

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Looks good and I like the pose. I've heard so many things (mostly negative) about the plastic EVA kits. How did you like it? Is your pose well within the kit's poseability range, or is that about it? Can you re-pose it without cracking paint off rubber joints? I'll ditto on the hexes, they look great and the orange gray and white look really good together, what colors did you use?

Nice! 8)
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

October 30, 2008, 01:58:38 PM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
When I do mine, I plan on casting the arms in resin fix-posed in several poses. That way I can somewhat combat the vinyl painting issues.

October 30, 2008, 02:36:50 PM
Reply #8

NorrisPackard

• Information
  • 'zup dawg?
    • View Profile
Looks good and I like the pose. I've heard so many things (mostly negative) about the plastic EVA kits. How did you like it? Is your pose well within the kit's poseability range, or is that about it? Can you re-pose it without cracking paint off rubber joints? I'll ditto on the hexes, they look great and the orange gray and white look really good together, what colors did you use?

Nice! 8)

Thanks a lot :-). The model itself isn't really that bad. It's just the rubber arms that give it bad reviews. In fact from the neck down to the knees, the kit has an internal frame and the posability is well beyond many HG or even MG kits (except the new ones of course). The rubber arms are the only ones hindering more dynamic poses. The old LMHG kits actually have better rubber arms than this one. The material used back then was harder and when you flex the elbows the bend looks natural. This new kit though uses softer rubber and when you bend it, it collapses :( not to mention it tears up easily :unsure:.

As for the build itself, yes, the paint will crack if I bend it so I won't :lol:. The arms will stay as is. The colors used on this one are mostly custom mixed (Tamiya acrylics). The yellow orange was mixed from a 3:1 ratio of flat yellow and flat red, the grey was from a mix of black and white (Duh :razz:) but I forgot the exact ratio, and the white was straight white (same with the black parts).

Here are some In-prog pics that show the posability of the kit:

And here are the scratchbuilt weapons that I have yet to finish :meh:

When I do mine, I plan on casting the arms in resin fix-posed in several poses. That way I can somewhat combat the vinyl painting issues.

I also considered that before. It is actually the best solution I can think of provided you have the casting skills (in this case you do) :lol: :lol:. The reason it didn't push through was because I didn't have said skills.

October 30, 2008, 03:37:13 PM
Reply #9

amurorey

• Information
    • View Profile
lovely~
just lovely... ^ ^
like others I like the hexagon patterns - great idea and compliment the kit very nicely indeed.

For the rubber arm, when I built mine I mixed the paint to match the colour of grey rubber as close as can so I don't have to paint the rubber part. ^ ^ Still the latest release used the different rubber materials and like you mentioned if you left bend position the rubber will be torn apart after some time.

Now I've seen your model I may pick up theatre version of Eva-01 next time I see it at discounted price... ^ ^