Author Topic: My first airbrushed kit (critiques more than welcome)  (Read 3808 times)

June 16, 2008, 08:06:03 PM
Read 3808 times

walker

• always expect the maximum
  • Information
    • View Profile
Johnny ridden's Gelgoog marine. Works canonically, since the Marines served under Kycillia, as did Ridden, and... no one cares.

Anyway, I'm reasonably happy since it's the first thing I ever tried my airbrush on. ran into a lot of problems but it didn't come out too bad in the end. I learned a lot which is important.

Also, it's not that shiny in real life; the camera flash did it.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc160/dicklaser/P1010440.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc160/dicklaser/P1010441.jpg
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 08:06:40 PM by walker »
By the way, say hi to Chris!

June 16, 2008, 11:43:26 PM
Reply #1

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I know photos with flash are easier but you should really avoid it. Basically makes any model looks like crap.

It looks ok but the paint seems pretty thick.
The seam lines on the fuel tanks could be better covered.

My main beef on your kit is the drybrushing. It's rough and out of scale, but I'm sure the flash amplifies the effect.

June 17, 2008, 01:35:19 AM
Reply #2

beertax

• Information
    • View Profile

My main beef on your kit is the drybrushing. It's rough and out of scale, but I'm sure the flash amplifies the effect.

ditto.  The paint chips are huge and looks more like painting mistakes. 

The major issue I have with kits of these sizes is the attention to detail.  For example, and I don't want to steal your thunder, but here is a similar kit I did a while back.  As you can see I separated the colors on the feet, the chest, and the shoulder verniers even though each is a single piece.  By painting different sections of the piece in different colors (thru masking off each section) I created more detail for the overall kit.  I noticed that you did this for the head where you colored in the tubes on the side of the "snout" grey, and I think your work would definitely have benefitted from more such separation.

Finally and this is a matter of personal taste but I think a more subdued hues of red and yellow would have benefitted your work.  And maybe a couple general decals (like Zeon insignia on the shoulder or unit number) would have helped as well.

My point is that the more work you put in to your kit the better it will generally turn out in the end.  Of course some modellers make their works way too busy, but I think your gelgoog could  have used a few more details.  Hope my many critiques helped you out!  I do like the idea of a J Ridden Gelgoog, since so far I've done pretty much every other Gelgoog but his (I did the HGUC Gelgoog Command in the pic, a HGUC Gelgoog J for Char, a MG Gelgoog for Anavel Gato, and a MG Gelgoog AND a HGUC Gelgoog J for Shin Matsunaga so far), so maybe I will attempt one in the future as well :)

June 17, 2008, 04:27:09 AM
Reply #3

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
Yopu know I'am not a good model kit photografer but you should do some more pic without flash.

June 17, 2008, 05:32:21 AM
Reply #4

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
I would agree with everything said so far. As far as airbrushing goes, it's a good first attempt--so don't get discouraged.
 :-)
Just make sure you've got your seams covered first. In addition to the shoulder, I noticed the bazooka still had a pretty prominent seam showing through. Once you get the basics handled and get some experience with the airbrush under your belt, you should have some real sharp looking models.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

June 17, 2008, 06:49:59 AM
Reply #5

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
I have to agree with the comments above, for a first time airbrush kit turned out OK. But the paint really does look like it is to thick. The gloss coat makes the model look weird, I think that it may just be the flash that you used to take the photos of the model. I agree with a beertax, the flash makes the model look horrible, personally I avoid using the camera flash when possible.

If the paint is being sprayed on the model to thick, then you may want to thin it out a little. Don't get discouraged, keep practicing and your airbrush skills will improve.
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.