Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Topics - delta408

Pages: [1]
1
My current project is preparing for a hobby convention next year and exhibiting my MG Nu Gundam and MG Nu Gundam ver Ka side by side.

Below is a picture of a recast of the AKO Creations conversion parts for the original MG Nu Gundam.


Runners


Metal ankles and hip connectors


Shield, rifle and bazooka [not yet detailed]


Here is a picture of the conversion kit [credits to AKO creations; I do not own the picture] and one of the 2 chest vents you can choose from:


Leg and hip inner frame assembly:




Initial coat of paint on the armor and feet:






As you can see, the conversion kit will make the model kit taller.







C&C is encouraged.  Please be gentle. :)

Cheers!

2
Model In-Progress / 1/100 MG FA 010-A FAZZ Gundam WIP by delta408
« on: September 23, 2006, 05:27:11 PM »
Hi everyone.  

I had been a miniatures modeller for a couple of years and I was also a regular player at tournaments of the now discontinued Mageknight. Gunpla building is nothing new to me but Gunpla bulding AND painting is something I have not ventured into until now. Boredom and stumbling onto modelling forums like this, sites like wonderexcellence, and work by Keita inspired me to take on more advanced Gunpla modelling.   This is my first WIP for a Gundam kit and I appreciate all constructive criticism.

My first painted kit: Bandai's FA 010-A Full Armor Gundam ZZ Sentinel Type




** Sorry if the pics are fuzzy and limited, I only have a camera phone. **

This kit's box is HUGE; maybe twice as large as the MG RX-78 box and a bit bigger than the MG RX-78 GP02 A. box  Some of the parts have flash on the
panels, especially on the leg armor.

After checking that the parts were complete, I took all the sprues out of the
wrapper and hung them from a metal rod using old shower curtain holders.  This
frees up my 3'x3' table so I can work more on the kit itself.  




I built the FAZZ head first since I'm relatively new to this whole sand, putty, prime, sand, putty, prime, paint deal.  Not to say I hate it, I just hadn't enough time or was too scared to try it back then.  I first cleaned each piece with soapy water, placed them in the FAZZ box and replaced the cover.  I think doing this will minimize dust particles sticking to the parts.



I took them out just so you guys could see them. I'm contemplating whether or not I'll prime everything first and then paint or prime and paint each part as I go along.  Anyway, the head parts are primed now as you will see below:



When they dried, I sanded them with 1500 grit sandpaper and brushed of the dust
that accumulated.  I also took care not to take off the coat of primer.  I applied putty to the visible seams.  When dry, I sanded first with 250, 400, 600 and 1500 grit.

I painted the mouthpiece and the goatee (hehe) then attached them to the eye parts. I panel lined the mouthpiece by hand and tried to take a pic of my work but the cameraphone really isn't for Macro of photography. *sigh*  Here'a a pic of what has been done:




I mixed about 3 parts white to 1 part black and 1 part royal blue.  After thinning with Tamiya acrylic thinner (smells a bit like denatured alcohol), I applied it to the head which i pre assembled without the V antenna and High Mega Particle Cannon (?).  A bit of trouble arose with this method however;  since I don't have an airbrush, the paint needed to be hand brushed.  Since the head is practically a 1 inch cube, it was fairly easy to hide my brush strokes. So much more if i spray a coat or two of dull lacquer.  the trouble with this method is that i have to really thin down the paint to cover large areas.  This is going to increase the completion time by maybe twice.



You'll see my PG WZC in the background without its wings. hehe


As I said earlier, I'll try removing all the parts and prep them for priming and puttying before painting. hopefully by the time I'm done, I'll have my Tamiya airbrush and compressor. :)


I cut the first several parts for the shoulders off the sprue trees and sanded them down to remove traces of where my cutter made its mark.  Initially I had decided to build according to the instruction manual's order.  Now, building from the feet going up looks to be the order of the day.  



Both ankles and toes are built including the lower legs.  I had a couple of accidents when building them.  the first was when I assembled one of the ankles incorrectly. I assembled and glued them backwards and had to pry them apart with my exacto knife. The second was when I found that the top of the toes had melted after I put too much putty into them.  This was more or less remedied by scooping out most of the putty and gluing a piece of sytrene on top.  Sanding and puttying made the fix complete.



** As of this time, I was able to get a basic airbrush/compressor set from Tamiya **

I have finally done the hips and lower torso of the FAZZ.  As you will see in the pic below, things are looking good. The upper torso has been airbrushed a flat blue and I'm planning to make it a bit darker in color later.  Forward part of the torso is not yet painted but I'll get to that in time.




Next up, I am starting on the core block and re-priming the head as I realize I
don't like the color I initially painted it.  Shoulders and upper arm are ready
for priming too; it's just that i forgot to include them in the picture.




That's it for now.  Work has a nasty habit of interfering with a hobby like this but it's necessary to get finances for purchasing materials (paint, putty, etc) and new kits.

Cheers!!  :)

Pages: [1]