Author Topic: 1/25 2005 Ford GT  (Read 4308 times)

May 13, 2008, 10:03:59 PM
Read 4308 times

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
I bought this kit to use as scrap parts. I needed a seat, the engine and rear suspension for my scratchbuild project The Cage. When I opened the box I was taken aback by how cool a kit it was. I couldn't bring myself to turn it completely to junk, so I finished it as a curbside and took the engine and interior for my other project.

This weekend I had a cold and was on all kinds of meds so I didn't want to risk screwing up the EWAC Zack I am working on. Bored out of my skull I started working on this and finished it in four days. Overall I am happy with it. I am far from an expert car modeler, actually this is my only my fourth car model since 1997.

There are some problems in the finish I don't like, but overall I enjoy having it on my shelf to break up the mobile suits.

The WIP. Car models are so much better than they used to be. This was a $9.99 AMT junker too.

The paint scheme is based off the gorgeous scheme used on Subaru STis. I sprayed the insides of the glass with Tamiya Clear Yellow in an attempt to tint it so you can't tell there is no interior. It came out sort of foggy in some places compared to others... but it was my first time trying so no harm no foul. I did a few coats to try and even it out and it just wasn't happening so I settled with what it is.

I didn't have it in me to dechrome the parts so they are what they are.

I love the rear end on this thing. It is an engineering marvel. The license plate decal is from a Miami Vice kit I built years ago.

In this shot you can see the worst of the fog problem. If the light hits the glass right it glosses and you can't tell, but from certain angles it is glaringly obvious. -5 POINTS!

I didn't dechrome the rims either, I just sprayed clear yellow on top to make them gold. Turned out great I think. I also went at the crappy tires with a file to rough them up and make them look street used.

Not bad for a kit that wasn't going to get built anyways! I had fun with this and it turned into a nice little metal health build. It is nice to finish something every once in awhile, even if it's not perfect. Plus now I don't have to build another car model for two years!

May 14, 2008, 04:11:25 AM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Took me a second to realize that you removed the tape from the windows and that they were painted gold. Thought you forgot to remove the tape. :lol: Do gold windows exist? I'm not a car guy so I have no idea.

May 14, 2008, 05:58:20 AM
Reply #2

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
You can get gold window tint, although it is not legal to drive with in most states I think. It's just a translucent film with an adhesive on one side that you put on the window. Exactly the same as black tinted windows only in colors. Back in the 80s there were also some cars that came stock with gold glass, but it was some kind of special anti-fog glass that only came in luxury cars.

May 14, 2008, 01:26:24 PM
Reply #3

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Even though it's a 2005 model, it really feels like it came straight out of the 80's. I expect Crockett and Tubbs to jump out in pink and turquiouse suits (and gold chains to match their rims and tint).  :D

Looks good for a cheapo kit. I like what you did with the rims. Given your love for metallics, you really gotta try out Alclad. Maybe you can do another car before you finish your Zack (I assume it's gonna be metallic).
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

May 14, 2008, 05:57:40 PM
Reply #4

Mechanoid Paranoid

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechapinoy.net
As a car modeler, That is a great Ford GT build, but I cannot compare it to maxwinamp's Yellow Ford GT, as you did well too on the car, considering that the quality of AMT kits versus the Fujimi kit, the AMT kit is not as good as Fujimi's and that is already a "scrap" kit.

I like the way you coated clear yellow on the rims.  Just like what I do instead of dechroming some parts.  :D  Not bad for a kit that wasn't going to get built, and this is true! 

I'm waiting for the price to go down.....

May 14, 2008, 11:01:08 PM
Reply #5

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
Thanks for the kind words guys. It is more like the 60's than the 80's Funaka! Building it I suddenly saw where a lot of inspiration for the new Porsche Boxster front end comes from.

It would be difficult to compare against Max's build, he built a GT40 race car in gloss finish, mine is the redesign in a flat metallic finish. I actually saw Max's build when I was looking for reference material and it was totally useless to me, they are completely different, even the headlights are not the same on a design level.

I might try to build another car before the EWAC is finished. I have my eye on a Charger and The Cage always needs spare parts!

May 15, 2008, 08:56:54 PM
Reply #6

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
It is more like the 60's than the 80's Funaka!

Hey, you put the idea in my head with that license plate!  ;) :lol:

Actually, at first I thought it was the new GT, now I realize it's the original 60's version. But it still has an 80's (maybe late 70's, "Corvette Summer"?) feel to me. I guess it's the metal flake and gold. Anyway, it's late for me, I'm rambling. But yeah, make another car!
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

May 15, 2008, 09:30:29 PM
Reply #7

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam

Hey, you put the idea in my head with that license plate!  ;) :lol:

True! I had forgotten I put it on there. I just thought that Vice was cooler than the stock license plate which says "FST RDE".

You know when I put the blue down I was a little surprised because I thought it looked a lot like the blue on some 427 Cobras. The original was a much darker blue, but over the years people keep painting them lighter for some reason. So I guess it fits in with it's kit car brethren who wish they were back in the 60's!

June 13, 2008, 02:20:34 PM
Reply #8

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
Wow, excellent.  I love it, aside from the gold windows.  Speaking of which, I understand that for clear parts, if you want to tint them, put a drop or two of food coloring in whichever color you want in some Future Floor polish, dip the part in and let cure and that'll tint it and topcoat it all at the same time.  Can't remember where I saw that, though.

I've had this kit sitting in my "to-build-when-airbrush-has-a-moisture-trap" pile; now I'm thinking of going and getting it painted anyway, humidity be damned  :D