Author Topic: Beargguy San Custom Ver.2.0  (Read 10676 times)

June 13, 2015, 11:29:36 AM
Read 10676 times

blackito

• Paragon of Justice
  • Information
  • Bonta-Kun Hates You !!!
    • View Profile
All right, as promised here is the WIP for my second Beargguy. I have one goal. Make him meaner. It will be a custom design based of a Japanese robot show that my brother used to watch.

I started doodling some ideas for the breast plate.

Cut it out and put them on the kit. I was not too pleased with the proportions and that shape would get in the way of the arms for posing purposes.

After a bunch of measurements and angle mods later I came up with this satisfactory shape.

Next up, the wings. Once again I started doodling..... Grid paper is awesome for coming up with new designs.

Paper wings were cut out for a test

Then I proceeded to cut the final shape on a sheet of pla-plate. I used a protractor to draw the curves with a pencil and a scribing tool as well as tool I got online to cut round shapes.

I made two to make the final product thicker. Batarangs anyone?

Cut out the pieces for the breast plates as well.

Two sets were cut to also make the final thing thicker.

I placed the protractor against the wing as such and the tool to cut round shapes on top of it to make my own panel lines.

So far so good.

I am in the process of making the boosters for the wings with random spare parts. This is what I came up with so far.

この世界を守りたい

June 15, 2015, 06:13:51 AM
Reply #1

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cool! Thats some nice work making your templates and cutting the styrene, very neat!

Look forward to seeing this one come to life  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 17, 2015, 03:57:27 AM
Reply #2

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Off to a good start, sensing some heavy Panda Z vibes here :)

June 19, 2015, 02:14:34 PM
Reply #3

blackito

• Paragon of Justice
  • Information
    • View Profile
Came down with something and I am planning to stay indoors all weekend. So I will try to get more stuff done on this project.

I am using the backpack of an old old Wing Zero 1/100 kit that I bought when I was in high school. Might have been the very first kit that I bought too I am not sure. Either way I never painted it and kept it for spare parts and well, today's the day! I drilled the top 2 holes for the Magnets that I will use later on. I put a piece of plastic tree sprue in the right hole because I made it too big.

With the magnets on. I used some superglue as well.

I need the backpack to fully cure in order for me to work on the wings next. So in the meanwhile I decided to work on a rocket punch. I used a paper clip that I unfolded and used a tiny drill bit to make two holes in the peg coming out of the hand and the other one the in the ring attached to the shoulder.

Here's a closeup.

Using one fully unfolded is too long as the hand is too far from the kit and the whole thing cannot stay stay straight up. So I cut it in half to use on both arms.

I am planning to use cotton balls for the smoke effect. I will probable make the smoke line a bit thinner and try to shape it.

Let me know what you guys think.

@Hunter Rose: as always thanks for the encouragement.

@sharkdog: You will forget everything you have seen. *Waves hand like a jedi*
この世界を守りたい

June 21, 2015, 11:51:11 AM
Reply #4

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Love the rocket fists! Really dig what your doing with this
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 21, 2015, 01:15:17 PM
Reply #5

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I don't know what this is.

June 27, 2015, 06:20:32 AM
Reply #6

blackito

• Paragon of Justice
  • Information
    • View Profile
I have been tinkering with the kit a lot. Since it's proportions are somewhat deformed,
getting the details close to the other robot I am using as an inspiration is tricky. I had
to do a lot of trial an error to get the chest pieces to the height I wanted them to be,
the upper torso. It is easier to place them a bit lower but that would mean that they
would be on the stomach, which is kinda weird. After a lot of visualization and drilled
holes, this is what I came up with:

Sorry for the blurriness but basically I used 2 pieces of masking tape that I placed next to
the grooves made in the torso piece. I used a pencil to draw 2 lines.

I used a straight pointy scribing tool to make a hole at the intersection of the 2 lines.

It helped serve as a guide for drilling the hole through which a paper clip piece would go through
and keep the chest piece attached to the torso like this.

Overall view.

I will drill eventually a second hole on both pieces to keep them from spinning but besides that
I think the chest aspect of this project is pretty much done.
この世界を守りたい

September 09, 2015, 07:03:39 PM
Reply #7

blackito

• Paragon of Justice
  • Information
    • View Profile
Ok,
time for a way overdue update!

I have been having issues with finding a way to attach the wings to the backpack itself. A friend of mine suggested me closing the gap with putty and then sanding it off. Although I was not fond of that idea, it helped me finding an alternative.

I sanded and sawed off the interior of the backpack so that the surface inside would be a flat one.

I then added styrene inside like this:

and this:

to end up with a little box like this. I drilled 3 tiny holes in it where the future magnets will be.

Here I taped the wings on a piece of paper and marked the paper with 2 small black lines and used them as  a reference point for my protractor. The line ends up showing me where the middle of the wings are to better place my box. Note also that in the box I added strips of styrene to make it sturdier.

With the holes at the top already made and the box taped to the wings where I want it to be, I used my pin vise to make 3 additional holes to the wings themselves for another set of magnets.

And voila!

I was feeling a bit ambitious and wanted to add a bit more detail to the backpack...

so I used a small piece pre-scribed styrene to add a vent. It is bigger than the hole and also the backpack has a round surface. So I started sanding....

until it matched perfectly!

Final result!

I am really happy with how it turned out

That was the most exhausting, annoying yet fulfilling part of this project so far. The backpack is still not done. Mostly finding a way to cover the area between the two thrusters but the hardest is finally over.
Hopefully....
この世界を守りたい

September 17, 2015, 01:58:01 AM
Reply #8

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Great work, that back pack looks like it could be a separate flyer! Very cool  8)

November 02, 2015, 05:43:48 PM
Reply #9

blackito

• Paragon of Justice
  • Information
    • View Profile
@Hunter
Thanks for the kind words! I was actually of thinking of making a scene or a small diorama showcasing the backpack being launched or something but I'll focus on finishing the actual kit before getting too ambitious again lol.

Another long overdue update!
The underside of the Wing Gundam shield part that I used for my booster was empty and anyone looking under could notice the hole. I used Evergreen styrene sheets to cover it up but I had to sand the exterior with a sanding sponge to match the rounded shape. I also placed the styrene pieces in a way that there would be a hole big enough to let it snap on properly.

The red piece that I took from the Wing Gundam shield serves as an attachment to the backpack. But leaving it like that even with primer and paint, it would feel and look out of plate.

I covered it up with styrene sheets that come scribed with lines already. My plan is to make that part look like some sort of heat sink unit.

That's it for now. Let me know what you guys think.
この世界を守りたい

November 04, 2015, 12:16:50 AM
Reply #10

blacklotus

• Information
    • View Profile
great work, i really like how you used the old 1/100 wing zero (i might be mistaken) on the backpack, keep the updates coming :D