Author Topic: Zeruel, the 14th Angel.  (Read 4840 times)

June 13, 2011, 12:09:13 PM
Read 4840 times

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I was digging through my closet, and suddenly pulled out this kit from the dark cracks within.

I had completely forgotten that I had bought this kit years and years ago, and apparently I even sort of started some work on it. At least, it's been primed white..

I figured I need some practice and this seems like the perfect kind of kit to practice with. The body is two halves, so the seamline should be easy to fill, and the other parts will probably have to be glued on.

I'll probably just go for the standard colours, which means something like this:

I'm also playing around with the idea of doing the red orb in a metallic red colour.

Hopefully posting something here means I'll actually get around to doing it soon :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:55:24 PM by Sharkdog »

June 13, 2011, 04:18:05 PM
Reply #1

Stratos

• Information
    • View Profile
Not familiar with this one at all. Strange arm designs.

June 14, 2011, 02:25:06 AM
Reply #2

BossDURANDAL92

• Information
    • View Profile
Look forward to seeing the color scheme,
I myself am working on unit 00HG and 03 FOR A YEAR now (due to school); I will upload some pics soon!
Nihilism stems from a lack of kits to build.

June 15, 2011, 08:04:57 AM
Reply #3

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Well!

Looks like I was a little overzealous in my estimation.

After inspecting the kit a little more closely, I've found it to be less than perfect. It'll need a little extra work for it to come out nicely. Also, apparently when I got this kit years ago, and messed around with it a little, I broke off a few pegs and such. Nothing dramatic though, and easy to fix and/or work around.

This is the model taken apart again:

Looks like I'll need to do some work on the shoulder fixtures, and the two parts of the main shell don't line up entirely on some panel lines. I'll probably have to do a little bit of filling and rescribing those to connect them.
This is kind of what I'm looking at, explained in pictures:

As a quick reference, this is a screenshot I could find of the back:

I'd also like to add, any tips and/or tricks that could help me fixing up this model are very welcome! I'm fairly new to fixing up and modifying model kits :)

Unfortunately, on Saturday I'm heading off for a while and won't be home for at least three months. That means that I probably won't get far, but I'm already looking forward to getting back to this kit when I'm back.
I'm actually looking more forward to doing this kit now that there's some more work to do on it :)

(Luckily, I'll have time to do some other kits in those three months I'm away, I'll try to get those posted as well!)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:11:58 AM by Sharkdog »

October 19, 2011, 02:31:46 PM
Reply #4

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Right then... since I've been back here for a little while, and will be here until November, I decided I should do some work on this little guy.

Since then I've glued the body together, as well as the shoulder fixtures and I've been sanding and puttying a bit to get everything looking right again. I'll probably prime the kit soon to get a better look at what I still need to putty.

I've also worked on the shoulderblades a little bit. As I reported before, I thought they were a bit ugly, so I filled them up a bit. First I glued in two triangles of styrene, so that I could save on some putty, and then slapped the epoxy putty on there. Currently I'm still using some basic putty to smooth out a few imperfections. I've deliberately sanded it so that it isn't flat, but actually bulging inward a bit. It seemed to just work better with the overall organic bone feel.

Then I'm still undecided on what I'll do with the 'base'.

So far, I'm pretty sure I'm going to try and find some clear acrylic rods to replace the metal ones with, but I haven't really decided what to do with the base. It's a bit ugly, and not even very sturdy. I don't really fancy turning this into a full on diorama, so I'm still trying to find some kind of fitting Evangelion imagery to use here. Like maybe the kind of cross that the Angels use as blasts, or maybe the top of the Central Dogma pyramid for instance.
Any tips on that would be very welcome!

I still have to rescribe and connect most of the panel lines on the sides, but first I'm trying to get the basic shape ready, and then I'll scribe those lines :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:34:33 PM by Sharkdog »

October 20, 2011, 02:03:58 AM
Reply #5

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Hey Shark! Glad to see more progress on this

A thought on the base, without wanting to sound like an evangelion super nerd, Zeruel moves with AT Field assisted levitation. The AT Field is a hexagon shaped force field (sorry dont mean to sound patronising if you already knew that), so maybe you could make the base an AT Field?

Heres an example from the anime

And a clearer example from a toy

You could even add some lighting to give it a proper glowing AT Field effect? Just a thought mate  :-)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:52:22 AM by Hunter Rose »
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 20, 2011, 03:42:47 PM
Reply #6

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Thanks Hunter!

I'm aware of the AT fields, it's a pretty good idea. Though the problem with AT fields is that they're pretty much wafer thin and flat. Though I suppose no one would really mind a raised AT field.

Something to think about, thanks!

October 20, 2011, 08:13:29 PM
Reply #7

the greebler elf

• Information
    • View Profile
cool figure , is this a mostly scratch build ?

October 21, 2011, 02:56:52 AM
Reply #8

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I hope I don't drag myself down by saying this, but it's not :P

It's an old model kit by Bandai, I don't believe it's in production at all anymore: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN56320

I picked it up a long long time ago, at a convention or similar event I think, when I was way into Evangelion (not that I'm not anymore, just when my love for it was at an all time high).

October 28, 2011, 05:29:49 PM
Reply #9

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Progress!

After sanding and puttying a lot, I've sprayed some primer over the parts (after which I repeated that process of course ;)), and overall I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.

I'm especially happy with how the filling of the inside of the shoulder blade turned out, as evidenced here:

After I had most of the stuff sanded up correctly (and after the first coat of primer), I decided it was time to start reconnecting the panel lines this kit has.
I used a small scriber tool, which is kind of like a pin with a handle, and got to work. I didn't really use anything to guide the pin, because most of the lines I had to create were curves. I freehanded it and I think they turned out alright:

The shapes on the side are pretty much as they originally were on the model. The diamonds are in no way really similar to the other, and I actually kind of dislike how not symmetrical they are (on the opposite sides, I mean). Since the nature of this beasty isn't mechanical, but organic (we think!), we can probably let that slide. I want to point out here that all I did was reconnect them through the middle. The squigglyness of the shapes is part of the original model.

The top line under the upper diamond on the left picture, and the bottom line above the lower diamond on the right picture I'm not sure if I'm happy about. I'm not sure yet if I'll fill them again and give those another shot. I might let the one on the left go, and still give the right one a shot. That, or I'm just being a bit picky here ;P

There's also a few other nicks and scratches that I still need to fix, but those shouldn't give me much problems.

As I was scrounging the internet for some more reference pictures, I came across this picture of Zeruel:

I've actually never seen Zeruel depicted like this in either the series or the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, but it's freaking awesome! I've decided I'll probably give a pair of scratchbuilt arms a shot! I can always fall back on stoic folded arms that came with the kit, but with arms like these it'll probably look that much better.
Here's a little start on that (with the original arm on the left):

Thanks for watching!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:34:14 PM by Sharkdog »

October 30, 2011, 11:22:36 AM
Reply #10

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Great work with the filling and scribing shark!  :-)

I like the idea with the new arms, look a bit more dynamic and makes it more unique
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

January 14, 2013, 07:49:56 AM
Reply #11

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Hello!

I decided to take a little time and do some work on the arms!

Originally I tried to make the arm out of a few pieces, cemented together and then manipulated in boiling water. This didn't work very well on the cemented seams unfortunately.
That was a while ago, so the other day I came back to it with a fresh start, basically creating each arm from one strip of styrene.

This is the strip I started with:

I then scribed out the fingers with a thin scriber, allowing them to still be part of the strip, but still having a strong connection to the strip as well.

I put on a pot of water and when it boiled, I got to work. After a lot of bending with some small long nosed pliers (and a lot of "Ow, that steam is way hot!") this is the result I came out with:

I'm pretty happy with the results. Initially I did the left arm, and then deemed that it was just too long. I ended up cutting out about 1cm from the middle of the arm, and cementing that together. On the right arm, I made sure the initial strip was already 1 cm shorter before I started.

I ended up leaving some prints from the plier on certain spots, I suppose I applied to much pressure, but it's an easy fix with some putty. Next step is to create a good connection for these to actually go into the shoulder sockets, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Progress!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:54:10 AM by Sharkdog »

January 14, 2013, 08:34:06 AM
Reply #12

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Didn't see this before, and this is going very nicely.

January 14, 2013, 10:39:38 AM
Reply #13

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Sweet! Glad to see progress on this again Shark, those new arms look fantastic, great work  :-)

January 14, 2013, 12:46:19 PM
Reply #14

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Wot they said, those arms look brilliant, they're really full of animation. Slotting the fingers with a scriber is clever, must remember that.