Author Topic: Toy Biz Spiderman Diorama  (Read 28154 times)

October 10, 2014, 02:00:22 AM
Reply #20

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I was all ready to say that I thought the water tower looked a little small, but you've already beaten me to it.. :(

It looks cool though, nice work on the support structure.

October 15, 2014, 03:01:33 AM
Reply #21

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Some US buildings have smaller water towers on the roof - not sure how small or if they come in standard sizes but you might have a handwaving justification there :)

I like the wire/web wrapping, that's very nice.

Will

October 15, 2014, 12:32:34 PM
Reply #22

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I was all ready to say that I thought the water tower looked a little small, but you've already beaten me to it.. :(

It looks cool though, nice work on the support structure.

Get the excuses in early, thats my motto! haha, thanks Shark  :-)

Some US buildings have smaller water towers on the roof - not sure how small or if they come in standard sizes but you might have a handwaving justification there :)

I like the wire/web wrapping, that's very nice.

Will

Thanks Will, I just didnt want the water tower to be the dominant element  :-)

Okay so got more modelling time in, primed the water tower bits and got the support frame painted in a rusty tarnished mix of black brown and silver.

And I got the stencil done for the the classic symbol going on the back, was lucky and found a vector of it which saved me some time.

So got it cut using some masking material and the works vinyl cutter then smoothed over some application tape

I sprayed the water tower a base colour of greeny grey, then masked out and sprayed a black circle as a base for my stencil

Then masked out around it and sprayed the red

Then peeled away the eyes bits masked around it and sprayed the white

Then peeled away the eyes bits masked around it and sprayed the white

There were a couple of little overspray leaks on the white but I was able it touch it up with a brush, and I'm super happy with how it came out

I had sprayed the roof a grey but was not at all happy with how it looked, used acrylics and got some god awful brush strokes in it, painted a darker grey over the top with enamels which came out much better.

Next up I'll do some light weathering and pigment work before attaching JJ

Thanks for looking, more soon  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 22, 2014, 11:35:58 AM
Reply #23

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Started getting the plaster filled base sorted today, ground off the detail from my plant pot water tray, and I want to give it a concrete look so I used some sandpaper. Cut it it two bits to give a natural seam where to pours meet.

Then sorted out the underside and sealed in my plaster by cutting a foamex board disc and gluing it in place.

After gluing down my sandpaper I primed and sprayed the whole thing satin black

Then when it dried I painted my light grey base colour

I also added my paint chips to the support structure, sponged on the green over my metal base coat to give a heavily worn look

And then I added some paint chips to the water tower by sponging on a black/brown/silver mix, and used graveyard dirt mig pigment to add some grime, and gulf sand and europe dust to give a dusty look to the roof

Next up its time to get JJ in place!

'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 22, 2014, 11:29:32 PM
Reply #24

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Looks good, I really like seeing your "any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic" masking. The chipping and dirt on the tower looks great as well.

Will

October 23, 2014, 01:29:43 AM
Reply #25

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Haha thanks Will, it did feel like an abracadabra moment when I peeled it off and it was all okay!  :lol:

October 27, 2014, 02:47:10 AM
Reply #26

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Just a small update to show my weathered concrete on the base

Just used various mig pigments brushed on, the obligatory graveyard dirt and various light dusty shades

And JJ is attached, inserted some wire into his back, drilled a couple of holes in the water tower and then used 5 minute epoxy to make sure hes on nice and solid, the base bits aren't glued together yet, just put them together to show how its looking

Next up I'll do the extra webbing that is sticking him to the water tower.

October 29, 2014, 03:38:57 PM
Reply #27

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
I like that bit of concrete, very nice! I don't think JJ appreciates it though.

Will

October 31, 2014, 01:00:22 PM
Reply #28

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Will  :-)

Used some green stuff to fill the gap where the uneven webbing meets the water tower, sculpted it to look 'webby'

Painted it white when dry, then for the extra support webbing I cut some more lengths of wire and superglued it in place

Now I've started adding some greenstuff to blend it into the webbing and to add web 'splats' to the ends

Thats where I'm at, just got to finish that off then I'll brush on some vallejo primer then paint it white.

November 10, 2014, 11:48:50 AM
Reply #29

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Been struggling to get shed time in the last week (damn life getting in the way!! haha)Got the rest of the web splats on onto my wire webbing, and then got it primed and painted.

Next I'm going to attach spidey, and then its time to start on the wall.

November 12, 2014, 06:14:21 AM
Reply #30

Hemish

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katoots.com
Yeah thats looking awesome

November 17, 2014, 02:29:59 AM
Reply #31

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile

November 20, 2014, 02:38:45 AM
Reply #32

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Got a chance to get make some progress, got the support frame glued on, drilled some holes for some wire supports then glued it on with some 5 minute epoxy

And finally got the spidey glued on to the tower and then got the whole thing stuck onto the support frame

Next up its time to start building a wall!

November 26, 2014, 12:43:41 PM
Reply #33

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Quick update time! Cut some thin gauge wire and drilled a hole in the clenched fist to insert it into to make the webline thats stuck to the roof.

And then drilled a hole in the wrist of the other hand to have a webline being shot out, put a small blob of greenstuff on as the 'sticky end'

So its nearing the end, want to get the wall underway next, so time to get the super sculpey out.

November 27, 2014, 12:46:46 AM
Reply #34

Hemish

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katoots.com
Adding those bits were just right, looked really good, especially the one coming out of the leading hand

November 27, 2014, 02:34:07 AM
Reply #35

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cheers Hemish, yeah I wasn't sure if the shooting web would look right, but Im really pleased with how it looks, glad you are too!  :-)

December 02, 2014, 02:50:48 AM
Reply #36

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I had mad an initial start on my bit of wall, but I'm not happy with how it looks tbh, so I'm working on the idea of a pole next to the tower on the edge of the base with a web stretched between the gap holding the camera, so I'm still working on that.

But for now I added a couple of small details to the base, I had some glue spillage where I got the structure in place

So I decided to add some moss to cover it over, and to just generally add a little here and there, so I mixed up some moss mix of green acrylic, white glue water and woodland scenics fine moss

Blobbed it on and then sprinkled more fine turf over the top

Also had a thought about adding a worn copy of the daily bugle with a headline about JJ, so came up with a design and printed it out

Then I folded it with some other small bits of paper to add a bit of thickness, then mixed up some ochre and light brown with white glue and water, wanted it quite watery to give a worn wrinkled paper look as it dries

Used some pigments to dirty it further then glued it in place, apologies for the blurry pic, I didn't notice it was like it till I went to upload it.

So now I will be making the camera and sorting out the web for it.

December 02, 2014, 08:29:19 AM
Reply #37

mathai

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Mathai
I've been following this thread since it started and I have to say that I wait for each new update like I'm watching a TV show.
Can't wait for the next episode!

ps.. webbing with wire was a genius idea.

December 02, 2014, 11:59:58 PM
Reply #38

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks for the kind words mathai, I'll try not to keep you waiting!  :D

December 11, 2014, 02:47:32 AM
Reply #39

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Right, I mentioned earlier that the whole wall idea on the side of the dio to support the web that holds the camera is bust. Made a start and it didn't look right, it'll be too close to the tower and the curve will be unnaturally tight for a wall. I had thought about a pole, but frankly that would just look lazy I think.

So now what I'm doing is making a heavily worn broken ladder for the side of the tower for my web to go onto, and I'm putting on the opposite to the original plan so it balances out the piece better.

So started by cutting some bits of styrene coated wire and bending the tops over to make the ladder tops

One will be complete and bent away from the tower (this will be the web support one) and one will be snapped, with a small bit poking out from the bottom with the top piece still attached. Drilled holes and got the first bits glued into the base.

Made some bracket pieces for extra detail where the ladder attaches to the water tower, for the broken piece I used masking tape to hold it in place while it the 5 minute epoxy I used to attach it cures.

While all the glue dried I made a start on the web, I've used soft armature wire that is glued with epoxy to hold the bits together. I made a quick sketch of the web to size after measuring it out roughly, then laid it under some silicon paper so can just lay it up and glue while laying down without fear of it sticking to my work surface!

Once these bits are on and dry I'll use greenstuff to make the curved inner bits of web, and may coat greenstuff over the whole thing for extra strength.

Thanks for looking, more soon :-)