Author Topic: Strange question about Future!  (Read 3941 times)

October 22, 2010, 05:04:02 AM
Read 3941 times

Jeegrobot

• Information
    • View Profile
    • www.giannisoldati.com
Hi.
Today for the first time in my life I have been able to buy the "almighty" Future!!!!
It's almost impossible to boy it in Italy. So a few online shop buy Future in America and the sell it to ther customers with very high prizes.
I paid 15euro for 500ml of Future...I don't care...I don't know the real prize but I'm happy to finally use it !!!

I want to be sure that it's real American Johnson's Future floor wax. I think that the real name now is "Pledge with future finish" or something like that.

It's completely transparent and smells like lemon or something similar.
To be sure that is real Future I will paint a piece of plastic with it then I will try to remove it using different products.
i will try with: alcohol90%, tamiya acrilic thinner, tamiya lacquer thinner, humbrol enamel thinner, "aquaragia" (I think that the english name is "white spirit" or maybe "tupentine" as dictionary says) and "solvente nitro" ( I don't know the english name but it should be "nitro paint thinner").

Which one should remove Future and which should not?

October 22, 2010, 05:40:25 AM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Pledge with Future is the product. It's not a wax though, but a clear acrylic. THin, clear, and smells good. Alcohol will do the trick.

October 22, 2010, 07:10:33 AM
Reply #2

Jeegrobot

• Information
    • View Profile
    • www.giannisoldati.com
Pledge with Future is the product. It's not a wax though, but a clear acrylic. THin, clear, and smells good. Alcohol will do the trick.

So alcohol will remove it...oh yeah...I should know it since you use alcohol as thinner.!
Does it resist to all the others? Even the most "strong"? For example the tamiya lacquer thinner?

PS Fichtenfoo I spent my whole day reading all your guides and explanations that I downloaded and saved in these months from your site! Finally i will be able to paint like you do...using your techniques...eh eh...so happy today!

October 22, 2010, 11:20:15 AM
Reply #3

Beork

• Information
    • View Profile
You know, if you are ever in the Netherlands or England, we have in it the supermarket with the cleaning products; 750ml for 5EUR orso.

Shipping it will make it as expensive as you've got it now I think.

Though you can do a long time with those few ml's you've got.

October 22, 2010, 02:12:51 PM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
No, lacquer is going to eat just about anything, including the plastic. ;-) Things like mineral spirits (MS) and turpenoid are mostly okay. Although MS will make some plastics brittle.

October 22, 2010, 02:34:43 PM
Reply #5

Jeegrobot

• Information
    • View Profile
    • www.giannisoldati.com
I made a few tests!
It looks like mine is real "Future"!
The smell is right!
When it's dry it's very very thin and shine! Wow...
It resists perfectly to all the thinners for enamels

These are my results:
Future resistes to: humbrol enamel thinner, white spirit, zippo oil.
Does not resist to: tamiya acrilic thinner, tamiya lacquer thinner, alcohol95%, nitro paint thinner (that eat the plastic too...too powerful for everything).

Now I'm going to prepare your version of a "flat future" and "semigloss future" and I will put them in drop bottle for future use.
I don't remember the proportions of tamiya flat base and future.
I don't remember neither where you wrote them.

Can you plase remember me the good proportions for a semigloss and flat finish? Please!!!  :embarrased:

PS OMG!! I see now that there was a thread specific for Future questions! I'm so sorry!
I didn't pay attention...I was in a hurry to write in this forum.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:37:45 PM by Jeegrobot »

October 26, 2010, 12:52:08 PM
Reply #6

Jeegrobot

• Information
    • View Profile
    • www.giannisoldati.com
Just a note for Fichtenfoo!
I was lloking for all the tutorials and giudes you did abouat future, future flat coat, how to paint mg, how to paint lenses, how to paint panel lines. your swf guide to using an airbrush etc.

I didn't find anything online! Luckily I saved lots and lots of you pages months ago and so I read everything from my dvds.

Those tutorials were "pure gold"!! If I was you I put them online again. They change my "modeler life" so I think that everyone should read them gain.

Bye!

PS Today I prepared my Future-flat-coat! 75% Future, 25% Flat base. I tested it but it wasn't perfectly flat. It look like a semigloss finish with very thin dots flat...maybe  have to shake the paint more.