Author Topic: Tanker  (Read 7628 times)

September 18, 2009, 07:38:17 AM
Read 7628 times

bayu

• Information
    • View Profile
Since I signed up for GB 5, might as well post something to start the motor running here. I'm making a steam powered walking armored vehicle from the WW I universe, hence the title Tanker. This vehicle is assigned to the German wehrmacht (army, sory if I misspelled) when they succeeded in taking over Europe. The bipedal movement is additional to adapt to the surrounding terrain.

This is what I used as reference, British's heavy tank Mark IV (if I'm not mistaken)

Used Guntank's lower body for the torso.

No head for protection, thus blended to the torso. Personnel hatch is at the front end (to lazy to open the torso and SB the cockpit detail.  :doh: Add flame throwers at the top & audio parts as steam blowers at the rear (the gold shiny thing).

Initial crotch & leg design, used MG Zeta Plus' feet not only because it's easy as hell, I wanna get the transformation gimmick from the feet as well.

Ok, more coming up (hopefully)  :razz:  :meh2:

Edit: I flipped the pic over @ Photobucket, but it doesn't seem to work out right. Lemme know if it's still tilted.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:10:41 AM by bayu »

September 18, 2009, 09:16:05 PM
Reply #1

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
Looks interesting, nice start. What plans do you have for modifying the legs?
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

September 19, 2009, 04:02:03 AM
Reply #2

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Looking forward for more!

September 23, 2009, 12:06:52 AM
Reply #3

bayu

• Information
    • View Profile
@ Eze: Thanx for the support, Man. Here's some (slow) update.  :meh2:
@ CT: I'm planning to bulk up the legs w/ 3 mm pla board, give them caterpillar tracks so they can (partially) transform into some kinda WW I Guntank. Here's what I've come up so far, gave the crotch armor pieces from an old 1/100 Zeta kit.

Here's what I did to the arm, made a prism shape upper arm to stick w/ the initial Mk. IV design, bulk up w/ 3mm pla board, steam blower, & Koto joint.

Here's an initial full body build up, am aiming for a brute grunt unit look. Since most WW I tanks have side flame throwers, so I have mine installed @ the top from HGUC Guncannon. Hands are from spare MG GP 02.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r93/Bayunto/Tanker/100_1999.jpg

With caterpillar tracks.

Fold the legs backward and presto!

October 08, 2009, 07:58:31 PM
Reply #4

bayu

• Information
    • View Profile
I hope everyone's still interested in the GB, coz I just finished mine last night.  :embarrased: Final preps, priming, rust effects, base.

I used sewing pins to imitate the armor bolts, as for the cast iron look, I used thinned putty.

Didn't use any paint, just primer and lots of weathering, hope suits it well.

The Base, 90% done before painting the base, barb wiring, rusting, flat coat.

This is pretty much what I can pull for this GB, just wanna join & learn. So, give some inputs, ok.  ;)

October 08, 2009, 10:56:26 PM
Reply #5

Macal

• Information
  • Member of the Brotherhood of the Iron God
    • View Profile
    • Macals World
Hi!

You work much faster than me :) Btw, nice model, like the details, and the bolts looks very fine too! The steam blowers looks awesome, makes the model look more bulky and wild, compensating the narrow forms of the legs and arms. Like the model, cool job!

I'm sorry about my project, had no time to work, had to change job, and now I'm under phisical, psyhological, etc. preliminary examination, so I'm tired when I got home...But, on saturday, the journey continous, club day & night comming :)

October 11, 2009, 05:29:24 PM
Reply #6

bayu

• Information
    • View Profile
Was trying to upload the finished page, but something wrong happened here. Ok, tried to finish this as fast as I can because we're expecting a new baby boy which was born just this Sunday. His name is Gazza, named after Gaza Haman Custom, and Gaza in arabic means "Strong", cool combo.  8)

The setting is an alternate WW I universe where the Germany's War Administration (Reichswehr) developed and employed a new type of steam powered walking tank, hence the name "Tanker". The agility & versatility of the new machine won lots of battlefields & ensure Germany's hegemony in the post WW I alternate era.

The base kit was from Bandai's old 1/144 Guntank kit, added alot of scratchbuilt pieces & heavy weathered. Enjoy the pics. ;)

Transformation

Rear view

Close up

The rest of the set
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r93/Bayunto/Tanker/

Ok, that's about it, hope U all like it.  ;)

October 12, 2009, 03:53:07 AM
Reply #7

Macal

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Macals World
Was trying to upload the finished page, but something wrong happened here. Ok, tried to finish this as fast as I can because we're expecting a new baby boy which was born just this Sunday. His name is Gazza, named after Gaza Haman Custom, and Gaza in arabic means "Strong", cool combo.  8)

Congratulations!!!  ^_^

The setting is an alternate WW I universe where the Germany's War Administration (Reichswehr) developed and employed a new type of steam powered walking tank, hence the name "Tanker". The agility & versatility of the new machine won lots of battlefields & ensure Germany's hegemony in the post WW I alternate era.

Nice background story :-) Put the model on a larger base and put a small burnt out WW I tank beside the legs :) Other that, this base looks cool, maybe a trench can make it more WWI like...

The base kit was from Bandai's old 1/144 Guntank kit, added alot of scratchbuilt pieces & heavy weathered. Enjoy the pics. ;)

Ok, that's about it, hope U all like it.  ;)

How tall is this model ? I don't know much about bandai & gundam kits... ooo...Much? Nothing  :embarrased:

October 12, 2009, 08:18:55 AM
Reply #8

bayu

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanx, Macal. The new baby has preoccupied most of our time here, so I don't think I'm gonna add anything to the Tanker (or have anything to do w/ modeling to be exact) :embarrased: Besides, I'm leaving for Japan on Thursday, and I haven't even pack. The model is roughly 22 cm tall (10 inches) without the base, I'm taking a 1:35 scaling on this one.

October 12, 2009, 12:49:49 PM
Reply #9

Macal

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Macals World
Wow, Japan :)
Bon Voyage! Have a nice time! BTW, holiday or work? :)

October 12, 2009, 06:32:31 PM
Reply #10

bayu

• Information
    • View Profile
It's for my Master degree, hopefully for only 1 semester (6 months) left. Reeaally hate having to leave my family now..  :yucky:

October 13, 2009, 12:03:10 AM
Reply #11

Macal

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Macals World
It's for my Master degree, hopefully for only 1 semester (6 months) left. Reeaally hate having to leave my family now..  :yucky:

/OFF:
MA degree in Japan ? :-) Wow! Nihon go wo benkyou suru koto ga arimasu ka? Or something else?
/On

October 19, 2009, 07:44:40 AM
Reply #12

Balliga

• Information
    • View Profile
Yo hooow bro... :D
congratulations for this TANKER and your new baby...nice job for this TANKER!!
actually the base look like to small than the kit...but it still interesting.. :-)

October 22, 2009, 10:25:33 PM
Reply #13

bayu

• Information
    • View Profile
@ Macal: No, Im taking International Studies, dunno the title yet. And no, Im still not getting any better in Nihon-go.  :razz:
@ Balliga: Is this the Balliga I know? Yeah, the base looks kinda minuscule compared to the kit. But Im only using whatever scrap available in my house.

October 23, 2009, 12:08:15 AM
Reply #14

Macal

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Macals World
Welcome Back! And good luck for Yer Studies! 頑張って! (Ganbatte)  ^_^ 8)