Author Topic: Τάλως ...or "Argonauts Beware"  (Read 4054 times)

July 09, 2009, 11:40:16 AM
Read 4054 times

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
For my period piece I have taken a lot of inspiration from antiquity. First my motor. Hero of Alexandria was an inventor and engineer of Greek descent and influenced heavily by the Mesopotamian scholars. He is widely credited with inventing the first simple steam engine, The Aeolipile. However Hero didn't actually create the machine just sort of popularized it as a novelty. The basic design could have been easily modified if the right person were to figure out its main weaknesses and solve them. First would be the limited life of the engine. As soon as the water had escaped fuel would have to be replaced and heated. What about a source of fire that stays hotter longer and doesn't require stoking every few moments? I'll kinda tackle those problems in this build.

The title, Τάλως is Greek for Talos. A bronze giant forged by Hephaestus and set to guard Crete. Jason and the Argonauts were assaulted by Talos. He hurled boulders at the Argo but was defeated by his "Achilles" heel, a single bronze nail holding in his molten blood. Growing up with Ray Harryhausen's Talos that is ingrained in my initial look. I was also inspired bu Peter Chung's Alexander aka Reign: The conquerer anime. The magic and "technology" was an interesting take on the ancient story.

I was working with super sculpey and now I'm out. The regular sculpey I have is so hard to knead that I don't wanna use it. A lot to clean up before baking too. Such is life, now for the pics.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:42:10 AM by chaos_theory »
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

July 10, 2009, 07:26:56 AM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Nice... kind of like a Colossus of Rhodes, but in a mechanical sense. Looking good!

July 20, 2009, 04:31:57 PM
Reply #2

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
@Foo: Thanks, I'm fortunate to have a good friend who is a philology student and Greek history/mythology buff. He has supplied me with many great stories and inspiration over the years.

I picked up some neat gears and sprockets at Michael's craft store yesterday. My fiancé makes altered books and scrapbooks and while shopping with her for wedding invitation materials something caught my eye. Tim Holtz Idea-ology sprocket gears set. $4.99 for twelve gear wheels in four different styles & sizes and 3 different finishes. the pics show the packaging and size relation to US coins. The gears are roughly 1.5mm thick and are available at many online stores as well. Great for steampunk.

"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

July 20, 2009, 07:05:56 PM
Reply #3

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Fantastic gear find... might have to pick those up. Now that I signed up for the newsletter I get plenty of coupons.