Author Topic: USS Potomac Nuclear Airship  (Read 3243 times)

May 29, 2009, 04:19:59 PM
Read 3243 times

silent1

• Information
    • View Profile
I personally have a fascination with alternative history the whole what if factor really appeals to me.

Well to start off the build a little background info:

Background: The year is 1949 and the Second World War continues to rage and the losses by all sides continue. After the nuclear bombings of Berlin and New York the war seemed to be at an impasse between what remains of the axis and the allies.

With the dawn of the nuclear age in full swing, both sides experimented with different nuclear powered vehicles in order to gain the upper hand in the conflict. The scientists what helped bring the Manhattan Project to reality have been working secretly on a new project that involved gravity control, the project was known only as Equilibrium. With the completion of this new device, man could control the gravity exerted on an object. The only problem was that the device required extremely large amounts of power and was several stories tall and wide, a far cry from the compact device that the military hoped/needed. In order to power this mammoth device a nuclear reactor had to be dedicated solely to its power intake.

Enter the USS Potomac the first nuclear powered airship to contain the Equilibrium gravity control device. It was to only design large enough and powerful enough both in energy output and armament to be approved for production. The ship itself was colossus by the standards of the day. With over 5,000 crew members and over 185 aircraft the ship was a small city that only had to land to resupply. 

The Potomac’s task was to bring an end to the war in Europe by acting as a mobile airfield/fortress and staging area for land based offensives. This is the story of her construction… to be continued.

Okay now onto the build here is what I have done so far. The zeppelin itself was pretty easy but the pieces didnt align as well as I had hoped, o well it only means some more sanding. As for the piece at the front of the blimp I am going to say its some sort of air intake even though it is huge for the scale. To get an idea of scale I plan on using 1/700 ship armament/components and aircraft.

May 29, 2009, 06:38:29 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Interesting concept. Looking forward to seeing all the tiny planes and such.