Author Topic: 1/20 Ma.k Split Fireball Space Diorama  (Read 56767 times)

October 22, 2013, 04:49:26 AM
Reply #60

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
That battle damage is superb! Helluva job

Thanks Taiidan!  :-)

Just gets better and better, I think this is my fave of your builds that I've seen so far, it looks so incredibly real in some of the newer pictures.

Will

Cheers Will, appreciate the kind words  :-)

Just a quickie, as you can see now I've peeled off the clingfilm the greenstuff now has a nice form of the bit it connects too so I can get a good strong connection

Painted it and the arm joint covers the same reddish black

And I've got the shoulder armor plates on now too

Thanks for looking more soon  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 26, 2013, 11:29:26 AM
Reply #61

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Update!

Got the legs glued into position with some 5 minute epoxy

Then used some 1.2 mm spring tube for the laser power cable, threaded in some fine twisted up fuse wire to get it to hold shape

Now finally I can get it all together! I attached the front bit using more 5 minute epoxy, and the side hip armor just with mr cement s (recently switched from the tamiya extra thin due to availability, and have to say I'm very happy with it)

I had to cut off the front piece of skirt armor, didn't realise the legs obstructed it in the position I needed, so after minor mods to it to increase its range of motion I glued it in place.

Also Painted my laser power cable with matte black enamel

Next up I'll do the leg power cables, thanks for looking more soon  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 31, 2013, 05:47:56 AM
Reply #62

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Leg cables done, and apart from a little pigmentation to come on the extruded wires when the glue is dry the suit is pretty much finished  :-)

Just used 3mm spring tube with wire in, and for the damaged cable I just used some plastic coated wire to simulate inner power cables.

I hopefully will start the base this weekend, thanks for looking more soon  :-)

November 01, 2013, 12:49:22 AM
Reply #63

Daf57

This is a wonderful project!! And thank you for the WIP!

May I please ask where you are getting the different sizes of spring tubing? I can't find any anywhere! I would love to know a source for some 3mm like you mention. :)

Thanks!

November 01, 2013, 03:06:41 AM
Reply #64

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot appreciate the kind words Daf, and welcome to the forum :-)

Sorry to say I cant help with the spring tube, I got a load off ebay a couple of years ago and now I'm also having a hard time finding more. There are techniques such as twisting wire around something of your desired diameter you can use that are pretty effective

November 01, 2013, 05:04:00 AM
Reply #65

Daf57

Thanks, should I run across any I will alert you. :)

Will be watching this as I know the finished piece will be fantastic! :)

November 01, 2013, 09:47:01 AM
Reply #66

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks again Daf, and picked up a good spring tube tip on the m.ak forum. Apparently if you strip the white plastic coating from the curtain wire used to hang lace net curtains, inside is 3mm spring tube

November 02, 2013, 10:59:45 AM
Reply #67

Beork

• Information
    • View Profile
Cool, the details are a really nivce touch.

With the spring wire, look for the recasters of Ma.k on ebay, they usually sell a bunch of this spring for cheap, or wave springs at hlj (which are more expensive).
Guitar wire works after a fashion, but is more stiff.

Waiting for the nexxt update ^_^

November 05, 2013, 06:18:43 AM
Reply #68

Daf57

Hey Hunter and Beork - thanks for the tips on the spring tubing - looking into that now! :)

November 05, 2013, 01:30:04 PM
Reply #69

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Beork :-)

No probs Daf happy to help :-)

November 07, 2013, 03:03:53 PM
Reply #70

Daf57

Hey guys! Got some of the curtain wire on order - looks to be what I was after - thanks again!

Hey I found a good source for some nice nickel plated spring wire - 1.77mm x 4 1/2"  - perfect for the smaller hose. Got mine in today, I recommend as they are quality spring tubes. Here is the link:
https://solarbotics.com/product/tact1/

:)

November 22, 2013, 01:10:15 AM
Reply #71

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cool daf thanks for the link!

Just an update to show I am still working on this!! :-)

Got the wires dirtied up to match the arm ones

And I ve been thinking about the base and how its all going to fit together, I am only going to do a full sculpt of the pilot, to give the whole thing a more solid base to support the suit and pilot the guy in the airlock is going to be sculpted in greenstuff over the top of a 1/20 figure I've got kicking about. Going to cut it down to get the pose and add lots of wire to give a nice solid base, think then his arm will be drilled out and a piece of brass tube inserted so I can get a good solid connection for the pilot and suit.

This is the figure, its the pilot figure from a votoms scopedog that was left over from my junkyard dog build http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6351.0

Started planning out the airlock dooron some .5mm styrene sheet

And after scrtatching my head about the easiest way to construct the base, I just nabbed some 3mm foamex board from work and used that :shifty:

So now I'm just going to get that all stuck together and solid, then I can cut out the door hole and start work on that and the interior.

Hopefully more soon, thanks for looking :-)

November 25, 2013, 04:36:27 PM
Reply #72

PeVl

folloow this post with big interesting. The red is for me very impresiv :-)

December 04, 2013, 04:30:44 PM
Reply #73

Dave Diaz

• Information
    • View Profile
Oh Boy! Have I been missing out!

I just got caught up with the thread and it is looking pretty good. I love the palette of colors you have chosen.

dave

December 05, 2013, 11:47:47 AM
Reply #74

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
folloow this post with big interesting. The red is for me very impresiv :-)

Thanks PeVl! Glad you like the red as much as me!  :-)

Oh Boy! Have I been missing out!

I just got caught up with the thread and it is looking pretty good. I love the palette of colors you have chosen.

dave

Cheers Dave!  :-)

Still working on the base, slowly but surely! I put some square tube round the where I drew my door design as an edge, and using drew some 45 degree lines across the corners so I can cut the corners off

Then cut some pieces to put across the corners which were just held in place with some white tack just to ensure good contact for gluing

Once dry I cut the corners flush with the side edges with a razor saw

Then I cut the hole out for the door with a scalpel

Next I'll use some greenstuff to fill the end bits of the square tube. I'll also back the .5mm styrene sheet with a piece of 3mm foamex for strength, then the fun of adding all the detail to the front begins.

Thanks for looking more soon :-)

December 11, 2013, 06:10:11 AM
Reply #75

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Just spent an hour sorting out the base, cut my foamex pieces just needed to get them together so I cut some square tube to use as guides and stuck them on lined up with the edge of the side bits, then superglued the sides together one at a time. After superglued I dribbled some whit glue down the edges and smoothed it over, I'll probably add some more supports at some point just to add strength.

Next I cut a hole in my top piece to allow a strong back support for my front piece but allowing a gap for the door.

Then I glued it to the back of the front bit leaving a lip where the side walls will meet it when in place.

And here it is in place, havent glued it in yet so I can easily detail it, which hopefully will be the next step!

Thanks for looking more soon :-)

December 11, 2013, 02:38:30 PM
Reply #76

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile

December 12, 2013, 05:24:52 PM
Reply #77

Dave Diaz

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey Hunter!

Looking good. I am getting excited just thinking of all the details that can be added to that bulkhead door.... so don't let me down!  :P

dave

December 13, 2013, 03:03:13 AM
Reply #78

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
On the home stretch now!

Keep telling myself that Will but it still doesnt feel like it!  :lol:

Hey Hunter!

Looking good. I am getting excited just thinking of all the details that can be added to that bulkhead door.... so don't let me down!  :P

dave

Thanks Dave, the detailing is what I'm starting next, I'll try not to disappoint!  :D

December 17, 2013, 06:02:35 AM
Reply #79

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Just a quick update to show some detailing progress, have to say I'm having great fun adding bits, I want it to be quite busy with detail in a star wars sort of way

Obviously got a bit to do yet, adding more details as I go, already cant wait to spray some primer down! :-)

Thanks for looking more soon