Author Topic: 1/20 Ma.k Split Fireball Space Diorama  (Read 56768 times)

September 11, 2013, 06:41:03 AM
Reply #40

The Inner Geek

• Information
    • View Profile
    • The Inner Geek
Awesome work! Shame it got shot up or I'd be ready to take it for a spin.

September 12, 2013, 02:44:34 AM
Reply #41

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Excellent paintwork there Hunter, you never fail to impress :)

September 14, 2013, 12:01:39 AM
Reply #42

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Awesome work! Shame it got shot up or I'd be ready to take it for a spin.

Thanks Inner Geek! Well at least it would still be a comfy seat :D

Excellent paintwork there Hunter, you never fail to impress :)

Cheers Shark, appreciate the compliment mate :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

September 20, 2013, 05:14:40 AM
Reply #43

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Okay been working on this slowly this week, gave the whole thing a gloss coat and did my decals. Went 'off-piste' a little, used some M's on the shoulder bits as a Mars unit reference, just put a yellow stripe on for no other reason than I saw it and liked it!

Then gave the whole thing a matte coat in readiness for the pigment stage, but before that I hand painted on some a black/silver enamel mix as my bare metal base colour for the damage. For now it looks quite stark in contrast, but a dark wash and pigments will tone it down after

More chips and scratches will be added which will  also help tie the damage in with the look more, this is just the first basic step.

Hopefully more soon, got another busy weekend ahead of me, thanks for looking :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

September 20, 2013, 06:30:37 PM
Reply #44

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
That looks fantastic, can't wait to see more. :drool:

September 21, 2013, 04:56:26 AM
Reply #45

decoy

• Information
    • View Profile
agree.
Put more effort! people are waiting!  :D

September 22, 2013, 10:34:47 AM
Reply #46

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
That looks fantastic, can't wait to see more. :drool:

agree.
Put more effort! people are waiting!  :D

Thanks guys, hey you want it you got it!  :-)

Just started on the next stage of my chipping, and adding some details, used a dark brownish silvery mix of enamel paint and applied it with a sponge to add some old chips, and some yellow and orange enamel paint for the details.

I'm really happy with how its shaping up, next step will be some more recent silvery chippings on the damaged parts, then it will be onto pigments to add shadows/dirt then I'll start getting it together.

Thanks for looking more soon  :-)

September 30, 2013, 01:38:00 AM
Reply #47

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Put in some shed time at the weekend and got my pigments down, and some lighter red chips on the dark red bits.

I used graveyard dirt mig pigment to add grime/shadow, and a little black smoke to add some minor laser burns here and there, and to add a few dark shadows.

Now thats done on all parts I can get the joint covers sorted and attach the limbs. Thanks for looking more soon  :-)

September 30, 2013, 02:43:11 AM
Reply #48

Beork

• Information
    • View Profile
Awesome, I fee lsorry for the pilot though, really beat up flying toilet pot this is.

September 30, 2013, 03:26:15 AM
Reply #49

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Definitely looks like it's having a rough time now!

September 30, 2013, 03:48:17 AM
Reply #50

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
That's aces, looks really well-used. Like the stencils and the big linear score/burn particularly.

September 30, 2013, 04:28:07 AM
Reply #51

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks guys! I like getting down and dirty with Ma.k  :lol: Its the suit of a veteran I literally wanted it to look like its been through the wars!

I am going to try to contrast it a bit though by making sure when I sculpt and paint my pilot his suit looks relatively clean

September 30, 2013, 06:26:15 PM
Reply #52

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
I just can't get over how good those splash marks look. :twitch: :D

October 01, 2013, 10:53:37 AM
Reply #53

decoy

• Information
    • View Profile

October 09, 2013, 11:12:24 AM
Reply #54

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, will post an update soon, been working on joint covers slowly , I've been crazy busy this last week

October 11, 2013, 01:15:45 PM
Reply #55

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Managed to get some shed time in and stop dragging my feet!

Mixed up some greenstuff and did my joint covers.

Got round to adding my broken hinge detail

And I added my fuel pipes to the engine bit using some coated wire

Painted my joint covers with matte black enamel with a little red in it just to give a slight red hue, and painted the pipe details, and the broken antennae straight matte black

Also painted the hinge details with more red black and a dark metallic mix, obviously when dry I'll dry brush and add pigments.

So now all my limbs are together

Next up I'll get them attached to the body, thanks for looking more soon  :-)

October 15, 2013, 01:11:26 PM
Reply #56

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I'm liking the joint coverings, and looking forward to seeing the little guy put together.

For as much as he'll still be together, anyway.

October 21, 2013, 01:55:48 PM
Reply #57

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Shark!  :-)

Right so more joints and limb attaching! Started by adding some greenstuff blobs to the arm holes which I sculpted into my joint cover shape.

The holes you can see in it is where I pressed the arms into each side (which have wire sticking out of one end) to help locate it when dry.
Sanded down the ends once cured and attached the arms using 5 minute epoxy.

Once they had dried I glued the side sections into there final position

Once That was done I moved onto the legs, wanted to use the original pe joints as a base to my new ones as I'm using the groin connectors to ensure a strong joint and good connection. So I drilled out the joint cover parts to accommodate the wire from the top of the legs and glued it into place with superglue to first hold it in position then 5 minute epoxy for strength

I glued the joints onto the ball joints of the groin piece which attached under the waist, then covered it in greenstuff and re sculpted my own joint covers over the top. I didn't want to make painting difficult, so I covered the underside in clingfilm so the greenstuff wouldn't stick and then pressed it into place and removed it.

So now when its dry I can paint it knowing it will fit nicely back into place. Next up I'll paint my joint covers, then get the hip and shoulder armor on before doing the leg power cables.

Thanks for looking more soon  :-)

October 21, 2013, 04:43:40 PM
Reply #58

TaiidanTomcat

That battle damage is superb! Helluva job

October 22, 2013, 01:16:07 AM
Reply #59

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Just gets better and better, I think this is my fave of your builds that I've seen so far, it looks so incredibly real in some of the newer pictures.

Will