Author Topic: Drone Sniper (1/8th scale resin from Industria Mechanika)  (Read 51674 times)

June 18, 2013, 12:45:07 PM
Reply #80

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I never realized you spoke Dutch.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen cat food cans that specify the word 'flavour' or smaak on it. It's usually just Garnaal. Rund. Varkensvlees etc.

June 18, 2013, 08:10:05 PM
Reply #81

ghostintheshell

Is that brand of cat food you guys feed the prawns in D9?  :razz:

Great work all round.

June 19, 2013, 02:37:56 AM
Reply #82

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen cat food cans that specify the word 'flavour' or smaak on it. It's usually just Garnaal. Rund. Varkensvlees etc.
I guess that's more accurate, I wanted to make it seem really cheap and trashy rather than something definitely made of real meat. But I guess I shot myself in the foot by listing the main ingredient as mechanically-recovered prawn carcass...

Is that brand of cat food you guys feed the prawns in D9?  :razz:
Not quite - they had two brands called Puddi and Prr, or at least that's what I saw in the film. Call it an homage.

I've done a bit more on the base, applying a layer of texture (crushed earth tinted with dry pigments, plus some odds and sods) using a model railway approach - paint the surface with matte medium, then sprinkle the textures on. Once you have it how you like it, spray with water or alcohol and dribble on dilute (50/50) matte medium with an eyedropper. Sets like a rock, but looks loose:

Click for bigger

I also made some cat food for the tin, and other bits of junk like the wrinkly tin (more heavy-gauge foil rolled between paintbrush handles) and the bin bags (torn up bin bags). The disposable fork is cut from 10 thou styrene sheet. I've started to weather in the concrete a bit more but the streaks look rather blotchy - mainly down to the lumpy surface.

The cat food is slices of balsa (for the fibrous texture) in a slurry of paint, matte medium, and fine earth dust. I think it needs a bit more bulk around the chunks, and the colour adjusting, but it's a start :)

W

June 19, 2013, 10:28:42 AM
Reply #83

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
That's looking sweet Will, the weathering is top notch especially the corrugated metal, and the ground work texture looks very realistic

Digging the cat food! :D
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 20, 2013, 12:17:53 AM
Reply #84

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Wow, that is amazing!
Corrugated metal sheet looks great.
Thanks for the tip on ground work – it looks realy great.

June 20, 2013, 12:25:38 PM
Reply #85

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Sorry for double post but I tried to understand how you did the surface and have some trouble understending.
What did yoiu use as a matt medium? A clear cote?

June 20, 2013, 08:22:00 PM
Reply #86

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
No worries, I never understand why some people are upset about double posts anyway :)

"Matte medium" is an acrylic medium which dries to a (semi) matte finish. Here it's basically used as glue, and I have used both near Klear and dilute PVA in the past with success, but you're more likely to get the odd shiny spot - not so much of an issue with matte medium.

You can get it from art shops - the bottle I have is from Liquitex: http://www.liquitex.com/mattemedium/

If you're interested in this style of scenery then Dave Frary's book is a good read: books.google.com/books?isbn=0890244707

I'll try and take some step-by-step pictures when I do the touch-ups. There are pros and cons compared to the more usual putty and texture and paint groundwork you see in plastic modelling books. To my mind the main advantage is you get a more varied surface, and the main problem is you need a reasonable variety of scenic materials (since you aren't necessarily going to paint them, you need the right colours) to achieve this. Pigments and washes can help get more colour variety from fewer textures though.

Railway modellers often have lots of scenic stuff :)

Cheers,

Will

June 20, 2013, 11:19:56 PM
Reply #87

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tips and book preview. I will definitely check this out.
I've never done ground work before, but I know my next model I start will be tank and gundam desert dio. So I'm collecting knowledge about dioramas and stuff.
Probably I'll start with clay and texture paint for the first try – especially I'll be working in 1/144 scale. But your work looks so great that it's very tempting to do it this way.

As for double posting. It's an old habit. I used to post on some gaming forum years ago and double posting was banned there. Especially in a short period of time. 

June 21, 2013, 06:28:49 AM
Reply #88

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
Those cans and debris looks fantastic. I like the fork near the flattened cat food can. 8) :D

June 22, 2013, 10:25:41 AM
Reply #89

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Looking great! But really... leave no morsel of Puddi behind!

June 24, 2013, 02:59:54 AM
Reply #90

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Eight out of ten cats wish they hadn't :)

Been fiddling around with this some more, not a very productive week (or weekend) to be honest but I have got a little further. I've poured some water for the very edge of the base, and fixed the big bit of corrugated iron in place, complete with a bit more rust. The second layer of water hasn't quite set yet but I think it'll be OK - it's pouring medium, applied in two thinnish layers with a mist of brown paint in between to get some clouding.

I've also finally had a stab at the drone's power supply - it's a sort of portable battery pack thing. I'm not (yet) in love with it, I think it makes the composition difficult with the two vertical elements but I didn't like it that much placed horizontally either. Maybe it's just a bit too small?

Flickr link

I was going to have the drone on the wide side (left) of the back of the diorama, but I think I prefer the middle-right side now.

Any thoughts on the composition? I like the debris side quite a bit, and the parallel of the gun barrel and corrugated iron. Not sure about the other side. Should I give up on the whole cable/power/lighty-up-eyes thing and just get the model right?

It may be that some carefully placed vegetation will help things, I'm just not sure at the moment.

Cheers,

W

June 24, 2013, 05:50:06 AM
Reply #91

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Looking good Will! I think from a composition point of view the only problem is the drone side is very plain compared to the front debris, but i think you thought about vegetation is great idea, some well placed stuff around its feet would look cool.

And i really like the charger unit  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 24, 2013, 06:03:36 AM
Reply #92

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
It's comming great!
Maybe some graffiti work on droid side? And some debris will be nice.

June 27, 2013, 09:04:56 PM
Reply #93

struschie

• Strahl Demokratische Republik
  • Information
    • View Profile
Great to see the pictures in context - I should check out this forum more often...
Great kit and cooool paint!
Love the catcan idea. the meat looks ärghs ;)

June 28, 2013, 11:25:56 PM
Reply #94

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comments - I do put some basic info in the description on Flickr, but it's not as in-depth as the forum thread.

I wasn't convinced by my bin-on-legs and i had a suggestion to make a sensor array for the drone to plug into. So I did, to see how it'd work, and I like it quite a bit.

Flickr link

It's big enough for a CR2032 or CR2016 button cell, but I think I might do better to run the wire down inside the concrete and either make a notch in the base for a cell, or just use something external. It avoids the bother having to make a custom battery holder in a small space.

The sensor is built from Bandai's "Builder's Parts Radome set", which also provided the plugs for the ends of the wire - nice :) Here's how it looks with the sniper:

I assume the rabbit ear/blade antenna is providing some kind of useful data down the big fat cable.

As you can see I also added some sprayed serial numbers to the concrete blocks, patterned after the kind of thing you see in construction yards. The Tamiya orange looked really bright when sprayed on white paper, but too rusty on the concrete so I've attempted to brighten it a little with thinned GW Blazing Orange (amazing colour) brushed on and then blotted out to preserve the sprayed edges.

Oh, and I did some work on the gun, applying decals and doing detail painting and other jobs. It's a bit messy, to be honest. I was hoping the decals would hide the not-quite-flat side where I filled in the slide, and they don't really. My fault - I chickened out of using some of the larger, high-contrast lettering. Maybe I can fix it with weathering...

I added some chips/wear to the blue areas in lighter blue to given them a plasticky feel. It's a bit messy at the moment, I'll see what things look like after a pin wash.

Almost on the home stretch now. I even put a decal on the head and added the washes there! I'm pretty happy with the overall balance now, with some greenery and one more thing (cardboard box) on the drone's side I think it'll hang together nicely. Just hope the water clears so I don't have to pull it up :)

Cheers,

Will
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:46:31 PM by Will Vale »

June 29, 2013, 06:38:08 AM
Reply #95

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
This is looking really fantastic. I wouldn't mind putting this on the product page if you're up for it when it's done. :-)

June 29, 2013, 02:21:15 PM
Reply #96

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Genius idea with the sensor array, i did like the "bin" but that looks so much cooler! Can't wait to see this finished mate looking killer!

June 29, 2013, 08:14:00 PM
Reply #97

Dave Diaz

• Information
    • View Profile
Will,

This is coming together nicely. I really like the composition of the scene, and the sensor idea was a good one. I do have to admit I also like the bin idea too.

dave
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:15:11 PM by Dave Diaz »

June 30, 2013, 03:58:22 AM
Reply #98

Beork

• Information
    • View Profile
Loverly, the debris really works with the setting, some odd shoots of green and it would look perfectly finished to me.

June 30, 2013, 07:28:48 PM
Reply #99

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile