Author Topic: 1/100 GMG AGX-041 custom  (Read 14261 times)

September 25, 2011, 08:10:17 PM
Reply #20

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • majorwilliams.blogspot.com
Well, I've finished my 2 beta pieces.

I think I am going to go for a really weathered scheme with this guy.  In order to effectively use weathering techniques on other kits in the future, it would really help me out to truly understand how each technique is applied in the fullest sense.  How it will make this kit turn out, I have no clue.  It could look great, or it could look dumb.  Hopefully not the latter :D

I would really like to know what you think of the weathering - if it is in indeed too much, tasteful, where I could have improved, etc.  I took some macro shots to expose my work here and welcome some friendly criticisms.  Your words go a long way!

Thanks ahead of time.  Really.

I will be making a full tutorial now that I have finished these pieces.  So far, the technique from Primer to finish takes 25 steps!  I think I may have to add a few more too haha.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:23:40 PM by Major Williams »
Check out my blog for my latest projects and tutorials - http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

September 26, 2011, 03:01:41 AM
Reply #21

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
It's hard to judge what the complete kit will look like with the exorbitant amount of weathering, but I must say that the single pieces look great!

I especially like the textured/bubbled rusted part at the lower part of the leg armour, it looks really good to me :)

September 26, 2011, 02:03:42 PM
Reply #22

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
That looks great Major, Can't wait to see it all together.

September 26, 2011, 09:40:39 PM
Reply #23

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
I would really like to know what you think of the weathering - if it is in indeed too much, tasteful, where I could have improved, etc.
I think your work on this one is borderline perfect. The rust on the lower cuff is insane. Looks exactly like the rust/dirt buildup on heavy equipment I've worked on in the past. 
8)  :ninja: Really good.
If I had to offer a crit,I think it would only be that I'm still kind of wondering about the white marks. Something about the scale maybe.
Possibly u could add a light pin wash for some panels and recesses. Like it just needs a little grease and oil contrast to go with that rust and just to bring up that final detail a bit.  I mean,if you are really trying to nail it. Otherwise,I think this is looking amazing. I like it as is too. Just trying to be critical for your request.

25 steps seems a little high though.. u may be overworking yourself there. I don't know.? Maybe like 10-18 kinda thing?  I just never really have to go that high for weathering and I usually go pretty big. Different strokes for different folks though right?  ^_^

This is looking crazy good though. I think the colors are great and that cuff rust is really outta the park.  I like the way it turned out on the shin too. Good luck on the rest. great wip.

Throw it Hard

September 27, 2011, 09:33:39 AM
Reply #24

Bhm

• Unf unf unf unf unf!
  • Information
  • DEATH FROM ABOVE!
    • View Profile
I'm with Grail on this. I agree on the white marks.
Nice WIP!

October 02, 2011, 10:56:35 PM
Reply #25

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
Slowly but surely.  Lots of parts salted, not enough where I want them to be haha. 

None of these pieces have had a wash applied yet...
Check out my blog for my latest projects and tutorials - http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

October 03, 2011, 01:27:05 PM
Reply #26

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Nice weathering Major.  I really love the caked on rust.  Very nice.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

October 10, 2011, 11:24:12 PM
Reply #27

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
Thanks Mvm! 

Got some more progress done.  Hoping to have the lower torso done by next update.  Most parts are painted, just weathering and decal placement now.

October 11, 2011, 07:52:37 AM
Reply #28

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
So do you start with a clean paint job and then add the weathering?
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

October 11, 2011, 09:00:31 AM
Reply #29

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
From what I can tell here, he has weathered as he goes. Chips first, then layers of weathering.
Throw it Hard

October 11, 2011, 09:04:27 AM
Reply #30

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
Pretty much as Grail said - put the powder on first for texture, then paint rust, then salt, then paint the color with a preshade effect - leave some rust, and also do standard preshading.  Everything that follows after that is done to the paintjob itself.  I'll have a full tutorial up if you're interested.  I've been hoarding bookmarks of various weathering websites, and I think I have a decent technique finally haha.

October 11, 2011, 09:10:35 AM
Reply #31

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
That little piece in the bottom pic is perfection. I love it. The subtle white with the yellow /black stripes and rust looks phenomenal.
Awesome.
Throw it Hard

October 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM
Reply #32

MGmodeler

• Information
    • View Profile
    • MGmodeler
Jut a little OT here major but your dog pic brought back some old memories of my dog that just passed away after 17+ years.  Brought a tear to my eye... :(

Anyway... Pic of the rear amrour looks great with that touch of yellow warning tape!

October 11, 2011, 11:41:27 AM
Reply #33

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Awesome build dude, loving the weathering on this, that armor piece in the bottom pic is fantastic!

Cant wait to see some build up pics
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 12, 2011, 05:32:40 PM
Reply #34

Hemish

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katoots.com
Spectacular weathering :twitch:

October 14, 2011, 03:35:29 PM
Reply #35

Tinman

• Information
    • View Profile

October 18, 2011, 09:57:45 AM
Reply #36

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
@ Grail - Thanks!  I gotta say, I love the yellow strip myself too.  Just the right contrast.

@ MG Modeler - You had a golden retriever?  They're a great breed!  I'm a big dog guy.

@ Hunter - Thanks!  Hopefully more of the upper body pieces will have a similar feel.

@ tinman - thanks buddy!

I got some more work done.  Not quite done with the legs, still have to do the final steps (exhaust and pigments).  Figured I'd post some pics for you guys though.

Beginning an oil wash

A Before and After on an oil wash with brown

And an Idea of what the feet are going to look like (semi-complete on the right).  I put a bit much on the brown wash, which I was trying to do because of the increased wear on feet, but I think it still is a bit much.  I'll probably go back and take some off.

October 18, 2011, 10:40:30 AM
Reply #37

Bhm

• Unf unf unf unf unf!
  • Information
  • DEATH FROM ABOVE!
    • View Profile
I really like the rough texture you've managed to achieve. Lookin' sharp, dude!

October 18, 2011, 10:55:56 AM
Reply #38

Tinman

• Information
    • View Profile
Although I've been pretty lazy this summer, over the past week I've been working on my "SteamDog" project (Steampunk Scopedog).  I'm pretty pleases with your paint and was wondering what colors you're using, especially the dark gray?  The weathering is outstanding and very motivating!  Keep the tutorials coming!

http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6227.0

October 18, 2011, 05:35:28 PM
Reply #39

kat69

• Information
  • I WANT THAT KIT
    • View Profile
I love following these builds! This one is especially good as I love watching and learning different weathering effects. Sorry, I'm a weathering junkie.
That caked on look is fantastic! I've seen something like it on a Ma.k. walker and it was used to represent a cast iron body, but the effect you have got is perfect. I hope you include how you do it in your tutorial.
I'm going to try the salt method on my next kit, a Ma.K. Gladiator. I have always used Windsor and Newton Art Masking Fluid over a metal finish. I then give it coat of red primer or black, add some more masking fluid over the existing fluid and let it extend passed it just a bit. I follow this with the final color coat and then pick off or roll off the dried fluid (goes like rubber). This gives me a layered effect of bare metal, undercoat and then color. Followed with washes, dry brushes and pastels. The effect is good, and very controllable, bit it does miss that naturally scattered look. That's why I think the salt will be a great extra method and the lack of uniformity will give me what I'm after, and the edges of the salt do not look as harsh as the edges with masking fluid. Perfect!
Got a model meeting tonight and that will give me a chance to rub the kit down for flashing and get it prepped. Thanks for the motivation and keep the pic's rolling.
Scott.