Author Topic: 1/48 Evangelion F-22 Raptor  (Read 5007 times)

June 25, 2011, 07:53:55 AM
Read 5007 times

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
This build was a total burnout cure!

Basically when I got back into modelling a year ago and first started using an airbrush and using all the techniques I saw on this site I bought this kit as the F-22 is my favourite Jet, and I used to love making jet planes as a kid, however after most of the building was done I was getting a little sick of it, especially as I had far more intresting models (mechs!) waiting to be done and its been on my bench ever since.

Jump forward to now and I'm working on a scopedog diorama and was looking around for decals and found purely by chance some eva decals for the high grade models, and then like a lightning bolt it hit me, paint the F-22 up in unit 1 colours and use the decals on it! So I took a break from scopedog and in the last 2 weeks have finished the building and then painted and decalled it, it was my first time using micro sol and set, and I haven't put water decals on a model since the WWII planes of my childhood!

This build is far from perfect and there were a few niggles along the way, but over all I'm really happy with it, especially as I was so pleased with the aftermarket cockpit I bought and the paint job I did a year ago I was glad it didn't all go to waste as a half built dust magnet!

Any comments and questions are welcome, you guys are my inspiration! :-)

'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 25, 2011, 07:57:54 AM
Reply #1

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Found some old shots of the cockpit, it was a resin cast by Wolf Pack Design and I was very impressed.

'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 25, 2011, 08:03:49 AM
Reply #2

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Very nice, way cooler than the anime-inspired paintjobs with the gigantic girl decal :-)

June 25, 2011, 08:53:52 AM
Reply #3

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Great paint job! :-) The plane definitely stands out, I can see Gainax paying the air force to paint one of their planes like this.  ^_^
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

June 25, 2011, 06:25:23 PM
Reply #4

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Looks pretty good, the colours are very well done, and I do love the (what I think is) subtle weathering on some of the surfaces :)

June 25, 2011, 09:48:12 PM
Reply #5

nkvd

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Deviant's Altered Ego
Good job, man. Incase you decide to build another F-22, and get burned out on it too, you could always go with the grey and do a big red Nerv logo on it next time ^_-

June 26, 2011, 03:28:40 AM
Reply #6

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Ezechial - Yeah I wanted to do something that might possibly exist in the anime, plus show that there is more to evangelion then Rei and Asuka in swimsuits! :lol:

clee-cm - If the US painted F-22's like this I'd definitely join the air force! Imagine this purple devil screaming at you!  :D

Sharkdog - Yes for the panel lines and weathering I used a clay based acrylic wash which when dry looks like dirt and you can then wipe it with a moist cloth to fill in panel lines and achieve differing levels of wear and effects, I kept it light on the plane and heavy in the missile bays and wheel wells

nkvd - I did think about doing some other jets in the colour scheme of the other units, but frankly, with all the more interesting sci fi models I have I'm totally bored with jet planes now!  :-)

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

Oh and a word of warning to anyone planning on getting the same evangelion decals, one thing I only noticed while putting this on my shelf today is a mistake with the decals, the nerv slogan is 'Gods in his heaven alls right with the world' but the decal says 'Gods in his heaven alls rights with the world', I'm not really bothered I'm just glad to get it done (I say that now I'll probably get the scalpel out and scratch the s off! ^_^)

August 04, 2011, 05:20:58 PM
Reply #7

PetarB

• Information
    • View Profile
When I saw the subject line I thought 'what a nutty subject'... but you've really brought it to life. Great work!

August 08, 2011, 05:51:52 AM
Reply #8

Gavros

• Information
    • View Profile
Love the colours, the paint job looks great. Cockpit looks a bit messy though, although I can't imagine how small and fiddly it must have been! Well done  ;)
Blog:

August 14, 2011, 11:52:43 PM
Reply #9

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Gavros!  :-)

The cockpit only looks messy because its zoomed right in and a bit bright, the details look better in real life and the gray shading is a lot more subtle than it seems there as can be better illustrated in this pic -

It was fiddly though, its 1/48 so the cockpits only about an inch and a half long!

August 16, 2011, 05:40:06 PM
Reply #10

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
Man-O-man, Love those colors. Love to see a 1:1 scale painted like that.

August 17, 2011, 11:10:59 PM
Reply #11

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks John! Yeah a full size one would be sweet!

August 18, 2011, 01:37:36 AM
Reply #12

Gavros

• Information
    • View Profile
Yeah I see what you mean, looks great in the actual plane! Well done, thanks for sharing.
Blog:

August 18, 2011, 11:18:43 PM
Reply #13

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks again Gavros  :-)