Author Topic: the All New, WAVE S.A.F.S. MK.III Raptor!!  (Read 3702 times)

December 22, 2010, 07:40:12 AM
Read 3702 times

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
Heya FF, I haven't bored you with my crap models for ages, prepare to be underwhelmed!

It's the Raptor, it's new and cool and available and helps you get laid so much more! Well, it's cool and available and pretty easy to make, that's a little more honest...

It’s here, the All New, WAVE S.A.F.S. MK.III Raptor!!

I’ve been excited about this one since it went into development in 2009 and it’s a big release for me – this is the design that hooked me on the coolness of Maschinen Krieger. Yet I’ve still only made 1!?!

Now that it’s in a new WAVE version, I plan to rectify it quickly and make a bunch of them.

Here’s my results this evening after work, it’s a breeze to put together like the new WAVE Snake Eye and SAFS kits, it shares much of their toolings with Raptor specific parts added. It comes with a new pilot sculpt with a different version of the VR Helmet but you can also fit the old style one if you prefer, still available in resin from Brickworks.

I’ll photograph and share the sprues and extras on another kit shortly before assembling it as well this week.

Fun times and I plan to try something a little different with painting this one.

Base Colors

Base colors done! I’ve tried something different here in my quest for getting the most out of my time and laziness – I’m using the base model plastic color as the base color to work off. It doesn’t sound like much and it’s not possible on many kits because of the bland colors used for their styrene but this time, Yokoyama Sensei and WAVE went to the efforts of doing the kit in a light blue color that a few of the suits are based on, I figured “Why not try to use it?”.

So for this scheme, I am working on the idea that the suits are delivered to the units in the field in a factory “Light Blue” finish and then field colors are applied. In the case of the box art, that would be the Field Grey/Dark Green applied over the light blue. It could also be that the armour is light blue - what's it made out of again? Light Blue stuff!

In this version, a Dark Earth type base color applied roughly over the Light Blue, leaving some light blue as a base pattern on the arms, with Dark Brown camo patches. A slightly different take on a classic RAF WWII scheme.

For the process I mixed 3 Mr. Color paints to make the 2 colors. For my main body color of “Dark Earth” I mixed Dark Earth+Red Brown+Middlestone. Approx. ratio of 4:1:1. Then for my dark brown patches I mixed Red Brown with the main body color “Dark Earth”  in a ratio of approx. 3:1. For highlights on both colors, I then added more Middlestone. The interesting combination of colors can be seen on the model with Mr. Colors’s Red Brown being obviously a red base, Dark Earth also being slightly red (it’s usually a green base and Mr. Color offers both to show the sun damaged, oxidised version in a greenish tinge) and Middlestone being a green/yellow.

The first stage was to prepare the blue plastic – to leave it visible it’s too bright and obviously plastic in it’s original state. I made a thin wash with Mr. Color Propeller Color and Flat Black, approx 1:1 and GaiaNotes #7 Self Levelling Thinner and painted the entire kit with this. It dried in minutes to a nice, almost flat finish and looked like a dirty, light blue suit. I didn’t take pictures because I was sure I was ruining a kit but will do it again if this turns out well.

The main body color was applied quickly with a large brush in a single pass, leaving the now dirty light blue poking through in strategic places of high wear and interest.

Next the Dark brown patches were applied via the same method, this time leaving some main body color Dark Earth and Light Blue patches poking through.

Lastly I added a little Middlestone to both colors and highlighted the Dark Earth and Dark Brown areas of interest.

That’s it so far, this was around an hour’s painting over the bare plastic kit and must admit, quite fun to do.

Decals - Filters - Pin Wash with Added Monkey Poo!

I managed to get another hour or so on the Raptor and probably spent a little more than that on the photos and write up!  :D Apologies in advance for any gibberish contained within, long day...

Next up, decals. One of the best things about the GaiaNotes and Mr. Color lacquer paints series is that they are mostly Semi-Gloss. I started painting with acrylics and almost all were flats over which gloss varnish coats were added. Somehow it had been put into my mind that paints should be flat and that’s what looked better, on models. Well now I beleive the exact opposite of course and much prefer semi and full gloss paints. No flattening agent means the paints tend to obscure details far less and once you are finished your primary color coats, you can apply decals directly to the base finish without further steps to make the surface glossy. Skipping a couple of steps can pay big divendeds in keeping your project’s momentum up and your motivation high as you see progress being made.

So decals next, I’ve gone with one of the suggestions on the paint card, Kow Yokoyama Sensei always seems to get it right!!

Usually now I would shoot a quick spray with the rattle can version of Mr. Super Clear Semi-Gloss to seal in the decals – most decals are adversely effected by mineral spirits so if you plan to use them later, it’s best to protect them with something like this. However, it’s been either raining or very windy (I run out to my balcony to spray) so an indoor solution is to either have a spray booth set up -I don’t – or to paint it on by hand. It’s much easier than it sounds and I recommend either using clear lacquer paints – with great care and after you have a few models worth of experience using them under your belst – or the safest way which is with an excellent acrylic varnish such as those made by Vallejo. I like their Vallejo Model Air Satin and Flat varnishes but they are all good.

Going with lacquers because they dry so fast and let me do more with limited time, I decided (read remembered!) to try out a nifty color I picked up from GaiaNotes – clear brown to both seal in the  decals and add a Filter (also called a Glaze) over the model, to deepen and modify the base colors. When using lacquer paints as a glaze, it’s good to add another clear paint so as not to have the thinner ratio too high. Generally speaking the lacquer paints won’t damage the decals but if you have too much thinner and work the decal with a brush too much, it will start to damage it and likely also pick up and damage your base coats too. Make it about the same as you would when doing base painting. Here I’ve added Clear Brown to Semi-Gloss Clear and used their T-07 Moderate Thinner – it’s the best of the lacquer thinners and works for GaiaNotes, Mr. Color and Tamiya paints equally well.

Leaving this to dry for an hour or so – it really only needs 10 to 20 minutes, once it’s firm it’s set and fine to work on- I’ve then chosen another step to get the color closer to where I wanted it – a slightly deeper and redder brown- by using a Filter – Glaze made from Tamiya Enamel Flat Brown, a little Burnt Umber oil paint all thinned in Tamiya Enamel Thinner. Either product is fine to use on their own for this purpose but it’s also fun to mix them and you get a little of both worlds from them. The enamel paint helps the Filter to dry a little more quickly and to a flatter finish and the oil paint enriches the color and helps it to settle a little more in the deeper details.

After roughly covering most of the model in this Filter, I’ve added a little Lamp Black oil paint to the mix and then using a thinner brush (not shown, sorry!) I’ve directly painted it into the more important details of the model in what’s called a “pin-wash” by many modellers. I used to call it “lining in” on small figures but it’s the same thing, it’s giving your model depth and accentuating your details. It also provides a nice base for subsequent weathering steps.

So far so good, it’s the right base color now for my tastes and I will move on next to highlight it again, then damage and weathering can begin.

Thanks for having a look, hope the write up helps some folks with steps to try out on your models too.

Cheers,

Linc

Please check out my new online Gallery and Progress Reports!

Scale120

April 13, 2013, 09:54:21 AM
Reply #1

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
I really don't know how could I missed that before. Great skills sharing tutorial.
Already tried brown glaze trick. I think my brown to clear ratio was too big. It was too brown, but it's the way to go.
Thanks for all the tricks!

BTW. As I'm using more and more Gaianotes paints I wanted to order Thinner T-06, this one with a retarder. But as I see you're recommending T-07. What's really the difference? I read on Gaianotes site (using translator) that it smell's less, but anything else?

April 13, 2013, 11:23:56 AM
Reply #2

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Really like the colours used, looks really good, my favourite bit of the whole thing is the highlighted fingers on the manipulator, just looks really cool to me!
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

April 14, 2013, 09:14:31 PM
Reply #3

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.

This is from a couple of years ago so I'm a little lost, did the finished version go up here too or at least somewhere online so that you've seen it?

I can dig up the rest of the WIP if it's of interest to you...  ^_^

cheers,
linc

Scale120

April 14, 2013, 10:18:21 PM
Reply #4

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Thanks Lin.K.
I think I saw the rest on your website :D

April 14, 2013, 10:43:37 PM
Reply #5

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
phew, I'm covered. Thanks Jiloo.  ^_^

Scale120

April 15, 2013, 04:18:45 AM
Reply #6

fil dunn

• Information
    • View Profile
awesome as always fella. :)

fil

April 15, 2013, 04:38:49 AM
Reply #7

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
thanks Fil.

I did a quick search, finished suit is here;

http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6051.msg62010#msg62010

Thanks for having a look!

Linc

Scale120

April 17, 2013, 07:08:04 AM
Reply #8

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Doing some digging huh, Jiloo?

I don't think I saw this at the time, or I might've forgotten. Very informative though!

April 17, 2013, 01:37:13 PM
Reply #9

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Doing some digging huh, Jiloo?
Yeah, it's sometimes good to dig some old thread :D