Author Topic: Glowing parts? Without Radiation?  (Read 2595 times)

January 26, 2009, 08:37:25 PM
Read 2595 times

AnatoleFarmond

• Fairly Useless
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Seriously, I just saw this for a Gundam 00 Action figure and was wondering it there where any decent glow in the dark paints, or plastics... or whatever it is that makes things glow. I think this would be an interesting design that has some use somewhere, although I can see it being very cheesy and lame as well. But imagine a GM visor that is just green in the light, and flick off the lights and they are all lit up without wiring in a LED!

So if anyone has played with this, or has any ideas, I'm very curious.
"No matter how good you get, there will always be someone better than yourself." ~ Char Aznable

January 27, 2009, 12:50:17 AM
Reply #1

GlauG

• Information
  • Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • View Profile
I've used UV and glow-in-the-dark paint on models with mixed success.  The main thing is that glow-in-the-dark paint is almost always a kind of green glow. 

January 27, 2009, 01:18:14 AM
Reply #2

Sticky Fingers

• Frankensteiner
  • Information
  • Stickier than thou
    • View Profile
Revell Germany carries (carried?) glow-in-the-dark paint, but, like Glach mentioned, only in that tipical greenish colour.
But maybe this is more what you want:
http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2
I have no experience with the stuff, but at least they offer more colours.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:44:56 AM by Sticky Fingers »
"Hang on a minute, lads, I've got a great idea!"

January 27, 2009, 09:05:56 AM
Reply #3

AnatoleFarmond

• Fairly Useless
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Awesome, yeah green was what I expected, that link is great, I just wonder how well it adheres to plastic, or if it needs to be primed, that's what experimentation is for, right?

Thanks for the feedback guys, the idea struck me that it would be a nifty gimmick for eyes and visors of Fed style MS. Or you know, other things, I doubt painting a whole kit glow in the dark would be very aesthetic. XD

That site looks very interesting SF, I may order some and try it out on a kit one day.
"No matter how good you get, there will always be someone better than yourself." ~ Char Aznable

January 28, 2009, 03:41:15 AM
Reply #4

GlauG

• Information
  • Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link, Sticky Fingers. :)  I might try and get some of the powder... 
I was going to say, one of the types of glowing paint I have is a lacquer based one meant for painting fishing lures, it adheres pretty well.