Author Topic: Paint Questions  (Read 149658 times)

October 23, 2007, 08:03:20 AM
Reply #160

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Guess enamel's the way... Don't think i have 91% alcohol in my local hobby store
You won't find it at your local hobby store. I usually find mine in the pharmacy section at Wal Mart. I prefer alcohol over Tamiya thinner because it's MUCH cheaper, readily available, and works very well (at least, with Tamiya acrylics).

I'm still not convinced the paint or thinner is the problem here (though I won't rule it out). Specifically what colors are you using, and how much thinner are you adding to the paint? Some photographs of where you're mixing your paint with thinner and the unfortunate applied results might be helpful here, too.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go to enamels. I'm just saying that I've been hand-brushing for more than a few years now, and primarily with Tamiya acrylics. For my money, they're the best paint I can get for hand painting.
 8)
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

October 24, 2007, 02:01:45 AM
Reply #161

chiyochagi

• Information
    • View Profile
so tamiya acrylic thinner and 91% alcohol is a different thing u said?

I thought it is the same thing  :twitch: that's why i never try it

maybe I'll try using alcohol 91% instead of tamiya acrylic thinners for handbrushing...

we'll see the result.

btw, can we also use the alcohol for airbrushing?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 02:02:44 AM by chiyochagi »

January 30, 2008, 03:52:00 AM
Reply #162

Csi111

• Information
  • Slowly getting over it...
    • View Profile
Hiya

I saw a post earlier in this thread about fluorescent paint but it was about if there was any out there.

I know that most brands of hobby paints are NOT recommended to be mixed together, but Tamiya (the only paints I have ready access to) do not do a Fluoro Pink acrylic.  They do a PS and a TS (I think) paint can, but I think both are Lacquer based.  Gunze do (did) an aqueous hobby line of acrylics and a fluoro pink in that range, so can I mix these two paints?

Like I said, not having ready access to anything other than Tamiya, I am hoping someone on here will have tried the mix before.

Reason for this, I see many kits where a bit of fluoro has been added to a base colour (primarily blue or white) and the resultant colour really pings out at you.

So, does anyone know if the Gunze aqueous hobby paints (acrylics) mix well with Tamiya acrylics?  If not does anyone have any suggestions for getting a hint of fluoro pink into a Tamiya acrylic paint?

Thanks
'There's 3 sides to every story.  Yours, mine and the truth'

February 22, 2008, 04:30:52 PM
Reply #163

chiyochagi

• Information
    • View Profile
I've just seen this site
http://f7.aaa.livedoor.jp/~mesarion/gallery/sazabisp2/sazabisp2.htm

this guy's kinda pro and he created many models

what i want to ask is..
The modified boosters have gold metalic colors. Can it be achieved using handbrush? Or is he simply just modify the parts with metallic parts?

Because, I have tried handbrushing the titanium gold and the results weren't good enough

I've got issues with handbrush allright

oh, any tips/technique to achieve good handbrushing with tamiya acrylics? Can I handbrush without using thinner/alcohol91%?

March 09, 2008, 10:08:58 PM
Reply #164

wingstrike

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey guys, not sure if this was mentioned or not, but if i spray lacquer colors over acrylics, would it ruin the acrylice even if it's a thin spray? And was also wondering, would using Mr Color Lacquer colors be better than using Tamiya Acrylics for airbrushing gunpla?

May 22, 2008, 12:22:45 AM
Reply #165

Deus EpS Machina

• Information
    • View Profile
Question about Paint...

I'm currently doing a MG S Gundam but in Titans colours (never saw one before). Now, my question is how to get the correct blue/purlple for the thing to look right. THIS is the shade of blue i would like to use but i cant figure out how to get that. I knew of a link FF threw up saying something like..."If there is one link you click this year, let it be this one" and it had this thing on how to get the right paint combination...Anyone have that link cuz it would help loads. I'm pretty sure adding black to purple will do the trick but i do want to be sure of exactly how much...before i start experimenting.

May 22, 2008, 06:07:31 AM
Reply #166

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Not sure about the blue, but that base is exactly what I was talking about for that Build-off idea.

May 22, 2008, 07:01:41 AM
Reply #167

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
Sea blue with red or purple.

May 22, 2008, 11:05:00 AM
Reply #168

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
Hey guys, not sure if this was mentioned or not, but if i spray lacquer colors over acrylics, would it ruin the acrylice even if it's a thin spray? And was also wondering, would using Mr Color Lacquer colors be better than using Tamiya Acrylics for airbrushing gunpla?

In art you always use oils or lacquer based paints over acrylics. If you seal it well and give your paints time to cure completely you shouldn't have any problems.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

July 28, 2008, 04:05:39 PM
Reply #169

EximiusNero

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi, does anyone know if Gunze's aqueous Hobby Color acrylics need thinning for an airbrush? I tested some out today and it came on kind of gritty and thick. Will water work, or isopropyl alcohol 91% perhaps?

August 13, 2008, 03:36:10 PM
Reply #170

Whale Gamer

• Information
    • View Profile
water or alcohol will work for acrylics, however I would use the alcohol since varying amount of minerals in the water will interfere with paint to thinner ratios.

January 31, 2009, 08:29:36 AM
Reply #171

HelicopterPilot

• Information
    • View Profile
I was wondering if tamiya flat white is thicker than other paints. I was using it in my airbrush and thinned it about the same amount as I do with other paints I got some orange peel effects :doh:. Should I be thinning my flat white more than other acrylic paints? If so how much

Thanks!

January 31, 2009, 10:57:07 AM
Reply #172

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Yeah, white is thicker so thin it more.

July 24, 2009, 07:22:51 AM
Reply #173

UltraMagnus

• Autobot City Commander
  • Information
  • I'm just a soldier, I can't be a leader.
    • View Profile
Question on chromed kits.

The accepted strategy seems to be to strip off the original chrome finish and to repaint with lacquer.
When done by an experienced hand this seems to leave a nicely burnished looking finish.

My question:

Is it possible to achieve the original chrome mirror like finish when repainting?
Maybe this finish is not as desirable as the burnished look.
However, the mirror like finish could be desirable for some projects.

Thank you for any comments.

August 28, 2009, 12:19:26 PM
Reply #174

carlj139

• Information
    • View Profile
I wanted to pose a question, and this seems the best place...

But I hate to leave the last post hanging so UltraMagnus - I think the answer is Alclad II paint.  I'm having pretty great success with it on the Z'gok I'm building out right now.  If you airbrush a good shiny black enamel base, then airbrush on at low psi (~15) Alclad II chrome for Plastic will give you that mirror'd look back to stripped parts.

Okay, my turn :P - I am wondering how people "test" finishes.  I just got my first MG Kampfer from HLJ, and I'm not exactly sure what to do with it's color, and I want to see how a couple different processes turn out (pigment powders, color-shift, maybe even see what happens with a dull candycoat)

Should I just go buy some HG or SD kit for cheap?  Get a sheet of styrene, and tape off? I even swear at some point I saw Gamera test painting (polystyrene?) balls on his site someplace...

How do people fully test colors ?

August 28, 2009, 04:04:17 PM
Reply #175

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Once you do enough kits, there's inevitably some leftover pieces. Those make great paint tests.

February 10, 2010, 07:36:25 AM
Reply #176

Paliodor

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Project Otaku
Hi guys,
I hope it's the right section of the forum to ask about one thing.
I'm working on my 1/100 Saviour Gundam it's my first painted model and I would like to ask which paint will be the best for the hands and inner frame? I was thinking about Tamiya XF-22 RLM Grey but dunno if it's the right paint color for those parts of the model. Could you tell me what color you use?

February 10, 2010, 06:57:15 PM
Reply #177

makalaka

• Information
    • View Profile
    • More of A blog.
Hi guys,
I hope it's the right section of the forum to ask about one thing.
I'm working on my 1/100 Saviour Gundam it's my first painted model and I would like to ask which paint will be the best for the hands and inner frame? I was thinking about Tamiya XF-22 RLM Grey but dunno if it's the right paint color for those parts of the model. Could you tell me what color you use?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

It's kinda frowned upon to ask for color choices for your kit. The rule generally is; Your kit, your shelf, your decision. That being said, any dark grey color should look good for the inner frame and hands.

If there's a color guide you can just use the colors Bandai recommends. They use Gunze Sangyo line of Mr. Color paints in the guides so you have to look at a few charts translate and get the colors in Tamiya form.

First look at this chart to get the english name of the color.
http://model.cnmsl.net/TechniqueLecture/gunzesjis.htm

Then look at this chart to see what Tamiya color matches up with the Mr. Color
http://ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_gunze.htm
NOTE: The website seems to be down now; hopefully they'll fix it soon.

February 11, 2010, 01:38:19 AM
Reply #178

Paliodor

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Project Otaku
These pages are quite useful.Now I shouldn't have any problems with that.
Thank you for the help.

February 12, 2010, 01:33:55 AM
Reply #179

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
I have questions and could possibly use a translation regarding a painting fix for watermarks and clear scratches.

I have a series of awesome videos with some great modelers,but they are all in Japanese I think.Doesn't matter that I don't understand,I have learned tons just by watching.
There are some steps that this guy performs to fix pin wash watermarks and clear scratches that seem genius.(numbered steps at bottom)I just can't figure out what this product is?

Does anybody know? Can anybody read the images?

Lastly, is there a product I can get at home depot or something that is an equivalent?
I want to say it looks like " Brasso" or something like it,if anybody knows what that is?
Thanks.
Hope this is clear and I can get some replies.
Cheers

Throw it Hard