Author Topic: 1/100 Saviour Gundam  (Read 2205 times)

May 17, 2007, 03:09:15 AM
Read 2205 times

GlauG

• Information
  • Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • View Profile

A bit of an experiment with glossy metallic colour schemes, really.  Not very happy with it.  Minimal modding though; the wings are the main change.  Also lengthened the supports for the cannons so that they can be posed better over or under the arms.  I might well give some of the parts another coat of the gloss red.

The wings are from the MG Zeta Plus C1 type, nothing fancy, just modded the joint to fit Saviour.  I'm just waiting to add aluminium barrels to the interiors of the guns, some metal thrusters, and some decals from Samueldecal. 

May 17, 2007, 03:23:09 AM
Reply #1

Mindless

• Information
    • View Profile
What bothers me is the heavy shading, other than that it looks good.

May 17, 2007, 04:29:22 AM
Reply #2

Roken

• The Red Knight
  • Information
  • Gundam Concept Underway
    • View Profile
    • Rokcorp
Nice, it looks akin to the "Extra Finish" versions that bandai make, I like it.

The wings you used make it look very unique as well.

May 17, 2007, 05:52:45 AM
Reply #3

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
Mindless:  Yeah, the shading turned out a lot heavier than I intended, it's some acrylic chrome silver shaded with tamiya Gunmetal.  I have a niggling feeling the gunmetal "bled" through the gloss layer a bit as Tamiya acrylic tends to do.  The whole thing looks a lot darker than I was hoping for really.

Roken:  Sadly it's not as crisp and shiny as the "Extra Finish" kits. :P  I'm pretty pleased with the wings in the end though.  If I try and make a better Saviour later, I'll need another pair of wings since I don't want to junk another MG kit that costs twice as much as Saviour...

December 15, 2008, 06:36:27 AM
Reply #4

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
So, more than a year later, I've come back to this and tried to repaint all the bits I stripped.  I didn't really want to do the "main" colour of the MS as a glossy/metallic colour, I prefer to have a matt look overall so that the gloss of secondary parts stands out.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos of the bit that annoyed me most; the white primer I used picked up the colour from the red plastic, so the red ended up covering very unevenly as there were some parts which were still primed black in places, etc.  The paint's a bit "orange-peely" in places, but that bothers me less.  I'll touch up the paint and then give it a matt finish overall when I'm done, I think. 

I'll gloss coat the whole thing and do decals/panel lines on the red parts sometime this week probably.  Nice to finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with this old build, after all the hassle I've had with my recent starts.    Weirdest thing for me personally is how much these photos look like they were taken at my old apartment, because the window is really similar. >_>; 

December 15, 2008, 09:24:05 AM
Reply #5

walker

• always expect the maximum
  • Information
    • View Profile
There you go, that's a lot better without the gloss imo; I never liked heavily-shaded gloss coats although if a gloss scheme is going to work on anything, it's a destiny kit.

Somebody else's 1/100 Saviour modding (pretty much using the MG Strike as a base and a lot of cosmetic work), I've always liked this link- you've probably seen it but it never hurts:

http://f7.aaa.livedoor.jp/~mesarion/gallery/saviourt/saviourt.htm
By the way, say hi to Chris!

December 15, 2008, 03:20:54 PM
Reply #6

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
Seen it. :)  I was seriously considering using their Strike shoulder mod for the hips, but I can't find my spare pare of Strike shoulders. >_>;  As for the gloss thing, I haven't actually made a UC kit to my satisfaction in years, but all my SEED and Wing kits have had gloss colours for their secondary colours (torso etc).  I like the overall look contrasted with a matt main colour.