Author Topic: Ako Hobby Refined Barzam  (Read 340 times)

September 10, 2020, 12:07:23 PM
Read 340 times

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
Hello! Glad to see this forum still up and running.

It has been such a long time since I've visited the FichtenFoo Forums, but I'm glad that I am able to necro-bump an old thread of mine.

With working from home, I've somewhat renewed my interest in finishing this kit (something nice to add to my desk); as well as keep me from going insane with boredom.

Here you can see most of the kit primed and ready for primer.

https://imgur.com/jFsfmmN

Certain parts I'm slightly cleaning up and will paint separately. I also had to rebuild the pistons as I lost those  :(, but the new pistons worked out a lot better.

https://imgur.com/ScDxHxQ

https://imgur.com/V7Asiop

https://imgur.com/cl1gbzZ
You can also see in the previous picture, I ruined one of the feet, so there's some recasting in my future haha.

Lastly, I bought an MG Advanced Hazel to be the brother kit to this. Will create a new thread once this is 80% painted.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:08:19 PM by Mrex-sgundam »
Hey, how's it going?

September 10, 2020, 03:27:58 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Welcome back! Coming along quite nicely. Shame about the foot, but these things happen. :lol:

September 14, 2020, 05:09:07 PM
Reply #2

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
True, there's always something that goes wrong. I've been away the past few days on vacation, but returned to a nice delivery of paints. I also have started building the Advanced Hazel as I just couldnt resist.

Added some fresh Light Gun Metal to the frame

And lastly, I am planning on hand paintng this kit, as my partner is not big on me having a spray booth in the house, but maybe I can persuade her into letting me get an airbrush around Christmas.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Hey, how's it going?

September 15, 2020, 03:50:10 AM
Reply #3

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Hand painting a MG, that's a project! I'm also planning on hand painting my current project, partly due to my compressor dying, and mostly because I crave the Kobayashi/Mak dirty laquer look (for which I think Mr Hobby paints are recommended), so I'll be following your progress!

Are you going for a clean finish or something weathered?

September 15, 2020, 05:35:13 AM
Reply #4

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
To be completely honest, Im not 100% set, but preferably a clean look, but since its hand brushed, I may incorporate weathered elements to cover up any mistakes haha.

At the moment, I'm fleshing out a Diorama between the Refined Barzam and Advanced Hazel (something about them being mono eye suits held by Titans, but never actually being in the same Manga or OVA.)

I started painting the internals with Tamiya X-12 Gold Leaf.

I love it so far. I think the Mr. Color Red #3 will definitely make the leg internals pop on the pistons.

The suit armor will be the standard Titans Mk.II color scheme.
Hey, how's it going?

September 16, 2020, 01:03:55 PM
Reply #5

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
So I started hand painting and may I see its quiet frustrating haha. So many coats I have to complete and I become OCD to try an obtain the smoothest finish.

Here's the resin laser beam I purchased many years ago haha.

Also patching up the empty backside of the front skirts.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:20:08 PM by Mrex-sgundam »
Hey, how's it going?

September 21, 2020, 01:07:29 PM
Reply #6

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
So this concludes most of the progress. I have to cast a new foot, hunt down water decals, find "piping" for the  hoses I lost and lastly add a rust like wash to the kit to call it complete. Oh and I guess look for a nice wooden platform and shaft to display the piece.

Overall, I will say that I had a great time de-stressing while working on this kit. I will be purchasing an airbrush for the next kit, as I realize I am too impatient for hand-painting.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:28:53 AM by Mrex-sgundam »
Hey, how's it going?

September 22, 2020, 12:42:10 PM
Reply #7

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm wondering how the decals will react with the brush strokes? Some softener may help if you have trouble there.

September 23, 2020, 05:47:54 AM
Reply #8

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
Not sure, I hope it holds up. Im also not sure who makes custom decals anymore.
Hey, how's it going?

September 23, 2020, 08:48:53 AM
Reply #9

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I know you can buy some special paper to do it yourself on a regular printer. I still have a sheet of AoZ decals I bought from someone here (Bawoo?).
Bandai makes AoZ decals though, that may be your safest bet.

October 20, 2020, 04:09:58 AM
Reply #10

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
Took a little break after I finished hand painting most of the kit. I bought an airbrush in that time. Part of me wants to air brush it, but also likes the hand-brushed style. Very torn here.

As you can see there are still errors in the coat and I definitely want to learn from them, but it's my first painted kit.

I'm probably putting too much emphasis on "first kit", but Ill see how I feel after I air brush the Advanced Hazel.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:11:55 AM by Mrex-sgundam »
Hey, how's it going?