Author Topic: 1/150 Evangelion diorama [Musasiya kits]  (Read 168 times)

September 08, 2020, 11:16:03 AM
Read 168 times

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
It's Great to be back!

I'm aiming for a quite an extensive diorama for this project.
The 3 Musasiya EVAs (non scale, but close to 1/150) will be accompanied by tanks from Pit Road, various railroad accessories from Tomytec and Kato such as Power tower, road signs etc and figures ordered from Shapeways.

I've always been intrigued by the various customizations of the EVAs depicted in Mooks such as Evangelion in 3D.
So .. I went a bit bananas with Gundam upgrade parts and stuff I've collected through the years in my line of work (optician).

The bipod for the sniper rifle was terribly bland, so I scratched a new one.
I also added rivets to the rifle + a new barrel.

All armour parts were sanded with my tooth brush sander and then polished smooth for the coming glossy surface.
Untouched part on the right, sanded to the left obviously.

I've come to love the Stylynrez primer and I use it with a 50/50 blend with vallejo's thinner at a low pressure doing multiple passes.

Basic blues (Vallejo air 004) + highlights laid in.

Multiple passes with Tamiya clear 50/50 blend building up quickly with basic passes finishing off with a wet coat.

Decals next. Been years since I did this but it´s like riding a bycicle.
Super Set / Super Sol. repeat till you bleed.......

The rifle, once painted and decaled turned out pretty great, me thinks.

Multiple clear cotes later and a few more after that...  :whistling:
And painting in the detailing done earlier...

All assembled, ready to be added to the diorama when the other units are done (click for larger pics):

Scale wise, it's a bit like this....

Thanks for checking in!

September 08, 2020, 01:44:30 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
That looks great so far. First I've seen the finished 00 pics. The gloss turned out really nice and I love how the head looks. You said they're 1/150ish but if they were standing upright how tall are they actually? Having a hard time gauging their size. Looking at all those electrical towers, I can here the wires flexing and the cicadas screaming. haha!

September 08, 2020, 02:04:34 PM
Reply #2

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
That's quite the project! Love the super clean finish (and that red wire, great detail!).
Are those kits rare? I think I've seen images of them (or of recasts') but I'm not familiar with the brand.

September 08, 2020, 02:17:53 PM
Reply #3

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
You said they're 1/150ish but if they were standing upright how tall are they actually? Having a hard time gauging their size. Looking at all those electrical towers, I can here the wires flexing and the cicadas screaming. haha!

I hate you.  :meh:
You made me do the math and apparently they'd be about 70-75m tall, so I'm way off scale wise...
Makes sense if you consider the scenes with the NERV staff close by its' feet / phone booth shattering scene in the first ep or so.
Anyho, I believe it'll make do for quite the display.
Kanon sucks either way! I've already strayed off the path with detailing and decals, so there you go.
I'll perhaps make another more scale accurate display with the Tsukuda vinyl kit with the same accessories.

Are those kits rare? I think I've seen images of them (or of recasts') but I'm not familiar with the brand.

There are 2 versions; first batch were cast in clear resin (now yellowed over time) and the ones I've got.
These days they are pretty rare in the west but they pop up ever so often on YJA.
I bought mine from a fellow collector back in 98.
Grails take a loooong to make it to the table!  :whistling:

September 08, 2020, 02:22:56 PM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I hate you.  :meh:
You made me do the math and apparently they'd be about 70-75m tall, so I'm way off scale wise...
Makes sense if you consider the scenes with the NERV staff close by its' feet / phone booth shattering scene in the first ep or so.
Anyho, I believe it'll make do for quite the display.
Kanon sucks either way! I've already strayed off the path with detailing and decals, so there you go.
I'll perhaps make another more scale accurate display with the Tsukuda vinyl kit with the same accessories.
I meant the size of the kits though. Just trying to imagine how large those are compared to the old Bandai ones for example. Eva tends to fluctuate in scale anyway so I try not to think about it. Best not to! I just figure most producers just consider them "box scale" because of that.

September 08, 2020, 02:26:11 PM
Reply #5

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I bought mine from a fellow collector back in 98.
Oooooh boy.
You're giving every modeler with a giant backlog some hope they'll finally build that one kit they've been hoarding for decades. :D

September 08, 2020, 02:29:04 PM
Reply #6

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
I meant the size of the kits though. Just trying to imagine how large those are compared to the old Bandai ones for example. Eva tends to fluctuate in scale anyway so I try not to think about it. Best not to! I just figure most producers just consider them "box scale" because of that.

Got it! And I agree... looking at her next to the tanks, the figures and the power tower it looks pretty neat.
Slightly smaller than the Bandai HG, but not by much. The detail/crispiness is worlds beyond, though!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 03:20:49 PM by Joa »

September 09, 2020, 04:22:42 AM
Reply #7

The Inner Geek

• Information
    • View Profile
    • The Inner Geek
I really like the non-canon paint and markings. The whole kit is nice, but seeing something so recognizable with a new take on the details is great!

September 13, 2020, 12:18:16 PM
Reply #8

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
I really like the non-canon paint and markings. The whole kit is nice, but seeing something so recognizable with a new take on the details is great!

Thank you! I feel the same.

Since I live mostly with my girlfriend these days due to a surgery of hers, I've not had that much time in my workshop.

I've done most, if not all prep work on the 02 unit.
The same kind of detailing as the 00 unit and sanding of all armor surfaces.

What's not to like with a thruster powered axe?

The 01-kit was the first release of the three, and it shows as the details/panel lines are not as crisp/well sculpted as on the other 2 units.
I decided to correct that and started the kit tonight with just a scalpel and a squadron sculpting tool as my friends at my gf's place.

The main body was an Extremely rough cast with very prominent seam lines and torn silicone (creating huge blobs of resin in between panels etc).
Of course I forgot to take a pic before I started, but the thigh piece should give you an inkling of my endeavor.
Very rough so far with loads of sanding and tweaking to do, but I've gotten the basic shapes down...

September 13, 2020, 01:14:45 PM
Reply #9

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I love the "rocket-hammer" approach to the axe!