Author Topic: The Freight dock - Not quite Ian McQue  (Read 168 times)

September 07, 2020, 02:19:37 PM
Read 168 times

John Everett

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Cold basement Models

The diorama began it's life with an idea about a modular system of resin castings which could be built into housing units. (Much like shipping containers can be used for that function today.) The hovering boat was a separate idea about Ian McQue's artwork. In the end, both the boat and the three rectangular habitat boxes were combined for a proof of concept diorama.

A handful of constructions photos are stored here:
http://www.coldbasementmodels.com/?page_id=2929

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 02:32:50 PM by John Everett »
"If praise or ridicule did not exist, who would you be?" - Quentin Crisp

September 07, 2020, 02:40:51 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
First off: Yay! I was hoping someone would post! It helps with debugging the new features. Did you have any issues with attaching images to your post? I see one, but the rest appear to be hosted offsite? I just want to make sure that's working as it's important for a reboot of the forum. Thanks!

Now onto the build! I rather like how this turned out. The containers turned out wonderfully as did all of the foliage and accessories. With the base if I had one comment it would be that I wish there was the same level of weathering/streaking added to the large red wall as the rest of it all. It looks great, but it stands out due to that I think. Red is a pain though...

The ship looks wonderful as well. It's too bad we weren't able to kit it. I think others would have enjoyed building it as well.

Nice work!

September 07, 2020, 02:59:46 PM
Reply #2

John Everett

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Cold basement Models
In getting the pictures up I used a site called Postimg.cc
I utilized their "Hotlink for forums" to quickly copy all the pictures into this forum.

As to the red wall. It does have a little bit of a dark wash. But it has this metallic red sheen which looked pretty good without weathering effects. If I was to go back and revisit the red wall I think I would add small tufts of grass or weeds trapped in a few of the most prominent features and then do a bit of mud staining below the vegetation patches. (When I lived overseas, that was one way to know if a building had a plumbing leak. There would be a small tree or bush growing right out of the side of a concrete building.)
"If praise or ridicule did not exist, who would you be?" - Quentin Crisp

September 07, 2020, 09:01:07 PM
Reply #3

Hemish

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katoots.com
I'm guessing alot of that is scratch built?
Love the concept and you have pulled it together really well

September 07, 2020, 11:34:40 PM
Reply #4

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
This is a lovely piece, I like how lived in it looks with all the characters doing their things.
I'd second Michael's remark about some minor discrepancies in the overall weathering, but it's also because the dirt and rust you added look fantastic, so maybe I want to see more :lol:

September 08, 2020, 04:11:10 AM
Reply #5

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
As to the red wall. It does have a little bit of a dark wash. But it has this metallic red sheen which looked pretty good without weathering effects. If I was to go back and revisit the red wall I think I would add small tufts of grass or weeds trapped in a few of the most prominent features and then do a bit of mud staining below the vegetation patches. (When I lived overseas, that was one way to know if a building had a plumbing leak. There would be a small tree or bush growing right out of the side of a concrete building.)

That sounds pretty cool. I think what stood out was mostly the lack of heavy streaking prevalent in the other components.

September 08, 2020, 06:32:02 AM
Reply #6

The Inner Geek

• Information
    • View Profile
    • The Inner Geek
I like that there are multiple things going on in the diorama. It really gives the impression of several stories going on at once.

I didn't notice the red wall being too clean until it was pointed out. It does seem on the clean end of the spectrum now though.

September 09, 2020, 04:50:54 AM
Reply #7

Tazman3

• Information
    • View Profile
Great work!  I really like the name "Rejection Letter"...very nice.   :lol:
Insta: @poppahuffplaysgames
FB: Johnny Huff