Author Topic: HAFS Centaur  (Read 3034 times)

February 27, 2006, 04:11:57 PM
Read 3034 times

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
It's that time of the year again for another project to start. This time around it the HAFS Centaur. From what I have been able to find out, the Centaur is AI. I'm not sure what level of intellengence this is though. "Go there and shoot that thing." or "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that." If this is correct, it's the first I know of for the Mercs. From the images in the BD Manual, it's obvious there's a turret on a modified Gladiator body. The two different views of the turret with the main body don't exactly match up, so I am having to guess on the blend from the Gladiator rear to the blending in to the turret ring. The other problem is that the cannons have to be mounted high and pivot close to the back to clear the rear hull when engaging aerial targets.

I checked the turet size against a PKA body, and there could be enough room for a pilot to squeeze in and tuck his legs down in the bottom hump.

Rough CAD model

Progress on Gladiator Leg Set

Checking the Cannon Size

Body Underside

Underside Transmission

Topside Transmission

Leg Scratch Build

Custom Machined Parts
I wonder about the guy that can sit through a David Lynch movie and say, "I saw that coming."

Krueger's Krieger

February 27, 2006, 04:40:13 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
That's looking awesome so far. Looking forward to another pre-spring build. 8) So what's under the bondo? Anything...? or is it all bondo for the turret?

February 27, 2006, 06:13:25 PM
Reply #2

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
That's looking awesome so far. Looking forward to another pre-spring build. 8) So what's under the bondo? Anything...? or is it all bondo for the turret?

there are a few vertical pieces of .5" styrene tube in there to fill the void.
I wonder about the guy that can sit through a David Lynch movie and say, "I saw that coming."

Krueger's Krieger

February 27, 2006, 06:51:56 PM
Reply #3

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
DAM! You got some nice scratch build skills. Looks great . Post more pictures and a build up page.Please.

February 28, 2006, 06:17:51 PM
Reply #4

large

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picturetrail.com/jcmve
Man oh man.........

Your scratchbuilt skills are amazing....... i Really admire your work, and this is looking excelent so far....

Hope to see more
Large....

Visit my model gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/jcmve

March 01, 2006, 07:35:19 AM
Reply #5

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
Thanks guys. It's one of those projects that I have had in my mind for a while and have been gathering info and parts for over a year. I started out planning to use pieces from off casts from a Gladiator resin kit, but the quality of even the better pieces made me decicde to replace most of the parts. I finally dove into it the other weekend. I don't know how clear it comes across, the bright white is styrene and the off white pieces are the resin bits, and of course the color bits are from various kits or Option Parts. I have not been as diligent as I have been in the past on progress images, so, there is nothing earlier than these. More images can be found at my Picture Trail Account in the link in my sig.

A little background info as provided by Jason Eaton:

"As deciphered from Mr. O's site:

Centaur (Club Crab)
Mercenary Force's unmanned four-legged walker tank.
Low-cost type unmanned tank made based on the chassis of the walker tank Gradiator from the [merc.] force, the armament is for firing conventional rounds, all of which makes it a simple unit.
Normally, it carries out tactical operations in conjunction with a Gradiator.
In the early days of its depolyment, owing to a silhouette reminiscent of a crab, and card "club" markings applied to the body, the soldiers of the [merc.] forces at some point ended up nicknaming it "Club Crab", although it is not certain that other forces called it the same way.

Note: To spell KENTAURUS' [name used in Japanese], this site adopted "Centaur", which is most common in English, which is supposed to be the official language of the Mercenary Forces; however, other spelling exist."

Krueger's Krieger

March 20, 2006, 09:18:23 AM
Reply #6

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
I finally have some photos to prove I have been making some progress:

Turret with twin guns
Turret Side
Front
Frontish view
Underside
Engine Bay Volume

It's been slow going up to this point, or least it feels that way, I didn't work on it most of last week, OT at work and sick all last week. Some observations, I remember whY I started using Bondo so much. I ran out of Aves and had to use Milliput on the twin guns. The stuff was like mixing dry playd'oh. stiff and crumbly. I don't know if mine was old, but the last 2 tubes of Milliput I have used, I noticed a substantial difference in the consistency with the Aves. So to finish up the guns, I went back to Bondo. I'm getting away from milliput for my Epoxy Putty for now on. I'll either stick with Aves or try Magic Sculpt. I know how to work Aves, and I really like it.

Back on Centaur. As I suspected, the twin guns have very limited transverse. The elevation is limited too depending on the orientation. I guess it is better than an elevation only weapon like the Gladiator rail gun. I'm trying to combine images to create the guns, but I think I now have a weapon that looks like neither version. Kow, why do you curse us? I think the most difficult part was the side exhaust pipes. The bulge below the turret is urethane foam with a thin skin of Aves rolled out flat and draped and trimmed to fit. The face is putty that was sculpted onto the turret and popped off and sanded to shape. The "eye socket" was drilled and filed to shape. a little hemisphere with be the mono-eye.

Krueger's Krieger

March 21, 2006, 07:20:16 AM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I've found miliput to be very inferior and a pain to work withcompared to Aves and MS. Too sticky and crumbly like you said. The Centaur is looking good. It'll be interesting to see the end result after seeing the random-colored puttied mess.  :lol: I know I always love seeing my stuff after the first coat of primer as it really brings it together. :)

March 30, 2006, 09:57:04 PM
Reply #8

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
More progress to report. The Centaur has been primered. It looks a lot more finished than it is with the primer. Lots of scratches and pits mar the surface, especially the main hull. After further review of Kow's image of the Centaur, I decided to soften the side with a curve to replace the Gladiator slab sides.

Side View
Guns Elevated
Aerial Targets
Business End
Business End Too
Right Rear
Left Rear
SAFS Size Compare
Mortal Enemies

Krueger's Krieger

March 30, 2006, 10:07:15 PM
Reply #9

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
Dude... thats so... wow...  :o

March 31, 2006, 08:11:18 AM
Reply #10

mathis478

• [Automata]
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Maru
I have to admit, very impressive. I love the transmission and underside details.
Trust the robot.

March 31, 2006, 01:29:14 PM
Reply #11

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Very nice in primer. I love when a kit comes together like this and looks like a purchased piece rather than a scratch-build. Great work!

May 02, 2006, 08:22:31 AM
Reply #12

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
I've been making progress on the Centaur too. There is still some more primer work to do on the legs, but otherwise, I belive it is ready for painting. I'll prpbably go for the two tone tan/brown seen in the BD Manual. The A8/R8 decals include the Ace markings, so I can include that too on my Club Crab. Mmmm sounds like an sandwich.

Finished Transmission

Bottom View

Smoke Launchers

Smoke Launchers Front

Engine Bay

Engine Cover

Krueger's Krieger

May 22, 2006, 09:16:50 AM
Reply #13

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
Alright, some more updates.

As you can tell, it has been painted and decals have been appied. The "3"on the nose is hand painted with Vallejo Acrylics. Minimum stencils have been applied. I really don't think they add a whole lot to a model. Sure they are interesting, but they can also detract if they go south with silvering, so I'd rather not take the risk other than a few to get the point across. I don't know how the colors come across, but it is base coated with Tamiya Flat Brown, color coated with Desert Yellow, and camo pattern with a custom Brown. The colors are pretty similiar to my Raptor, but a little more yellow is this base coat. Right now it's glossy from the Future, some post shading has been applied, but it's pretty subtle.

It should be interesting how this thing weathers. It's not very big, but there are a lot of components in the transmission area and the multi leg thing is going to get old after the first two.

Side View
Frontish
More Frontish
Butt Crack
V6 Engine
Is that a Hemi?

Krueger's Krieger

May 22, 2006, 11:49:54 AM
Reply #14

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Nice camo!
The colors with that shape remind me of a grasshooper, it has a kind of organic feeling to it. I like it!