Author Topic: Really need some putty HELP.  (Read 3407 times)

oteebzo

• View Profile
Really need some putty HELP.
« on: January 28, 2006, 06:06:05 PM »
Ok guys I need some help.Every thing I find on internet about seam lines , etc only say they prime one time. So I am wondering if I putty everything I need to putty(i.e seam lines, gaps, holes etc...)Then prime and find imperfections and find some,  so I reputty and sand and most of the paint comes off ....

Do I...

A) leave it be and paint over?

B) Re prime to look for more imperfections?

But am I wasteing time reprimeing or not? Or do I prime 2 times?

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »
Prime as much as you need to. Just make sure you don't obscure details with too much primer.
Rust is beautiful.

Jonkokyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 10:22:10 PM »
I got the same problem too. I use putty to fill up the gap, and I sand it, then I prime it. The gap shows up after I prime the part. Then I sand it again, and reprime it. However, the gap always show up after I reprime the part. I repeat the same procedure few more time, but the imperfection always shows up after I reprime the part.
Will it work if I
1) Putty the gap
2) Sand it with 400-600 water sand paper
3) Prime it
4) Sand out the imperfection with 1000-1500 water sand paper
5) Reprime it
6) Sand out the imperfection with 1000-1500 water sand paper
7) Paint it
Will the imperfection show up after the paint dry?

TheFallen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 05:44:37 PM »
if your getting the SAME imperfection, then you may be sanding too hard or too much. If you sand too hard youll just knock off everthing you put on there, defeating the purpose and a lot of time you wasted as well.

Putty, just a little more than needed to fill the gap or hole, then let it dry, wetpaper it, and after that, close your eyes and rub it against the peice with your finger.

your fingers should be able to tell you if its smooth or imperfect. If its raised sand a little more, other wise add some more putty, sand again then prime it.
OTE: Atmostpheric entry is not for everyone. Find what works for you!
This as been a public service announcment of the Gundam Ad Council.

oteebzo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:06:55 PM »
Ok well they say 3 times the charm. So after I reputtied and prime I still have a lot of imperfections.I will try this one more time then thats it I paint and it done! I will move on to the next one and try something different for the seamlines on that one.Good thing I bought this kit to practice on. :roll:  :D

mjbolin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 10:39:47 PM »
What putty did FF use for the posability modifications in the chest for his Hazel Stutzer?

And does the putty just adhere like that, or is glue needed?

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 05:05:20 AM »
Quote from: "mjbolin"
What putty did FF use for the posability modifications in the chest for his Hazel Stutzer?

And does the putty just adhere like that, or is glue needed?

I used either Magic Sculpt or Aves Apoxy Sculpt. They're basically the same so either will work. It's a 2-part epoxy putty that blends to a very-nice clay-like consistency. Kinda like super sculpy, but with no baking since it's a chemical cure. As for sticking, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I believe after the insert dried I reenforced everything with CA glue.
Rust is beautiful.

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 05:23:59 AM »
And, if your getting the same seam over and over, you may not only be sanding away the putty, but there are two other things you could be doing:

Not getting the putty into the seam sufficiently - this is evident if you sand, and there's no putty left, but there is still misalignment between the parts.  Dunno how you would make the putty stick better - are you using a putty that bonds to the plastic, or is it more a filler like epoxy?

You may be applying too much pressure when sanding.  If you sand too hard, you may be breaking the seam/joint you are trying to hide, and no amount of sanding and priming will cover it up.  First bond the two parts together at the seam with some sort of welding plastic glue - line the parts up, but leave the tiniest of cracks.  Let the glue wick into the seam, let it sit for a few seconds, then squeeze the parts together - you should get a little bit of plastic squeezing out of the seam.  wait for it to dry, cut off the excess plastic, sand, and putty if needed...

Lingwendil

• View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/lingwendil/
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 08:15:47 AM »
Yeah, if the putty is still not sticking, just put a drop of CA glue on before you apply the putty, works for me every time.
Pain fades, chicks dig scars, and glory is forever.