Author Topic: Group Build Suggestions  (Read 43621 times)

large

• View Profile
    • http://www.picturetrail.com/jcmve
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2006, 07:40:09 AM »
Hi Guys;

I agree with FF, lets do something diferent than gundam.
 :)
My vote is for the "scratchbuilt robot" idea and the "it´s not a gundam" (gasaraky and patlabor would be great) :shifty:
Large....

Visit my model gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/jcmve

fang

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2006, 10:47:09 AM »
my vote goes to "Junkbot" that gonna kill thousand of my brain cells to get some idea of what to do  :shock:

oteebzo

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2006, 06:55:39 PM »
I am really likeing the junkbot idea.But I have no juke bots so I would have to build most of it by hand.Not to mention my backlog I got going.I got 4 started now and my sd which I know I will never finish for comp.Plus 2 jobs , oh man I'm over welmed,but enough excuses  I could put everything on hold to finally get something to show you guys. :D

I like the jukebot idea ! maybe non gundam would be good too

Paradogmatic

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2006, 07:44:22 PM »
Junkbot sounds great -- have a whole old box of robots from my previous generation of modelling ready to be transformed :)

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2006, 09:15:20 PM »
Okay... so Phil and I's junkbot thoughts are a good one then as a lot of you seem interested. So lets make junkbots the next GB and refine this a bit more. What do you guys want to see as potential guidelines for junkbots?

I'd like to see the following for example:

* Must have an in-prog thread with images (not to be started until you have images)
* Sketch out idea. Paper, napkin, computer program... Even if your sketching skills are rough, this is a good learning exp.
* Can't use more than 20-30% of any one kits parts
* Must have one main donor kit part that stands out. Like the Gp02 shield ship. The shield part was a (if not THE) focus part.

Stuff like that. That's not finalized yet, as I'd like to get some feedback on the guidelines.

Also, don't start building just yet. Start getting ideas and thoughts together, but lets all start at once and later when GB2 starts to wind down.
Rust is beautiful.

Paradogmatic

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2006, 09:18:39 PM »
Those sound great to me -- looking forward to this being my newbie project on these forums.

I like in particular the 20-30% rule -- if you really wanted to make it challenging you could also rule that people have to incorporate at least 2 differing 'universes' of parts ( i.e. Gundam / Macross ) in their own unique creations. Though that might just end up being stifling..

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2006, 09:19:55 PM »
Quote from: "Paradogmatic"
Those sound great to me -- looking forward to this being my newbie project on these forums :)

I wouldn;t wait too long to start something... this won't officially start for a few months I think. :lol:
Rust is beautiful.

Paradogmatic

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2006, 09:41:50 PM »
True enough -- I guess I'll start with some other build-up threads

fang

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2006, 12:08:22 AM »
i think the no gundam look alike should apply to this Junkbot as well, otherwise we will see. Zeta head+ Freedom body+ justice arm+ blitz waist+ zaku left leg and dom right leg, armed with RX78 shield and astray katana!   :lol:  I don't think that's the idea of this GB.

Beckylaw

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2006, 04:40:42 AM »
Junkbots rock!Time to search for ideas 8).

large

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2006, 07:06:21 AM »
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
Okay... so Phil and I's junkbot thoughts are a good one then as a lot of you seem interested. So lets make junkbots the next GB and refine this a bit more. What do you guys want to see as potential guidelines for junkbots?

* Must have an in-prog thread with images (not to be started until you have images)
* Sketch out idea. Paper, napkin, computer program... Even if your sketching skills are rough, this is a good learning exp.
* Must have one main donor kit part that stands out. Like the Gp02 shield ship. The shield part was a (if not THE) focus part.

Stuff like that. That's not finalized yet, as I'd like to get some feedback on the guidelines.

Also, don't start building just yet. Start getting ideas and thoughts together, but lets all start at once and later when GB2 starts to wind down.

I agree with most of the guidelines, but i think that the main donor kit part would be a too much restrictive issue...... :(...... or maybe i missunderstood the spirit of this guideline............  anyway i guess these are just thougths of guidelines and FF and Phill will make them as good as could be possible  :D
Large....

Visit my model gallery

dainaka

• View Profile
    • http://justdai.com/model/mak/
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2006, 12:56:07 PM »
Hi Fichten,

Here are some more suggestions for the junkbot guideline:

*  Scale must be between 1/24 and 1/48 - it'll force most of us to work in a scale that we are not use to.  This will exclude scales of 1/20 for Mak, 1/144 or 1/100 for Gundam.
*  Related to above, the finished project must have at least one figure to convey scale.  Figures are readily available in 1/24, 1/32, 1/35 and 1/48th scale.  A single figure with it's head and shoulders sticking out of a hatch would be sufficient.

Anyway, just my humble suggestion.

Cool,
Dai.

Quote from: "FichtenFoo"

large

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2006, 04:23:15 PM »
Quote from: "dainaka"
Hi Fichten,

*  Scale must be between 1/24 and 1/48 - it'll force most of us to work in a scale that we are not use to.  This will exclude scales of 1/20 for Mak, 1/144 or 1/100 for Gundam.
*  Related to above, the finished project must have at least one figure to convey scale.  Figures are readily available in 1/24, 1/32, 1/35 and 1/48th scale.  A single figure with it's head and shoulders sticking out of a hatch would be sufficient.

Anyway, just my humble suggestion.
Cool,
Dai.

Military scale regulations???????? sounds good to me    :evil:
Large....

Visit my model gallery

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2006, 06:22:23 AM »
Another suggestion that I'll just throw in...

Re-model an old kit.  Take a kit designed before let's say '93 and redo all the joints, add in details, scribe panels, all that jazz to modernize a kit.

Lots of work  :?  :lol:

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2006, 06:54:59 AM »
Quote from: "dainaka"

I've gotta say that I'm against this for a couple of different reasons. First of all, it's excluding some very nice (and readily available) 1/72 ground crew and pilots sets I've seen. Second, there are some of us out there that probably just want to cannibalize the 1/100 figs from the Gundam MG kits. Personally, I plan on incorporating a figure (or two or three) into this, but I don't like the idea of limiting the scale and insisting on the inclusion of a figure. You never know--after this SD Competition, someone may choose to do a super-deformed junkbot--something where scale is totally irrelevant.

But then again, that's just my opinion. And I'm glad we're all throwing ideas out there for others to comment on.  8)
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

Doctor Seleski

• Do they make that in pink?
  • Char!
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2006, 08:03:53 AM »
I agree, the scale should not be a factor.  Part of my idea was to limit expenses.  The last thing I need is to go purchase figures for a scale that I have little interest in.  As Zero pointed out, I am sure others feel the same.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2006, 08:22:48 AM »
Yeah, they're great suggestions, but the problem here is that if we make figures required, that will make some people shy away from the build since not everyone wants to/can/likes to do figures. Also since they're junk-bots, then scale will be hard to determine. You could just say... oh yeah it's 1/35 since it's your own design and made-up.

i think the no gundam look alike should apply to this Junkbot as well, otherwise we will see. Zeta head+ Freedom body+ justice arm+ blitz waist+ zaku left leg and dom right leg, armed with RX78 shield and astray katana! Laughing I don't think that's the idea of this GB.

Exactly... this should be a design your own robot using scrap project. Basically a scratch-build project. I don't really want to see scratch-build gundams and such unless it's something along the lines of that Bound Doc which still looks like a junk-bot and didn't use BD kit parts to complete. I'd love to see them look more jonk than not as well. Think Jabba's Palace or the pod-racer/tatooine style of robots. Or like tank-bots or anything that looks real and not too sleek. And having a pilot isn't an issue either... it could be a armored suit, guant robot, or ai thingy.

The point here is not to make a frankengundam, but to make your own creation using "junk". 8)
Rust is beautiful.

Doctor Seleski

• Char!
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2006, 11:21:18 AM »
Well, I was thinking that something along the same lines as this would be acceptable.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2006, 11:36:00 AM »
Quote from: "philgoodwin"
Well, I was thinking that something along the same lines as this would be acceptable.
 Yeah, that'd be fine as long as it was made from scrap and scratch-building and not just a modified RX-78. Looks junky though! 8)
Rust is beautiful.

Doctor Seleski

• Char!
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2006, 11:50:50 AM »
It is mostly different RX-78-2 Gundam kits... FG/HGUC, MG, PG + some other kit parts, a lot of mods, and other greebles/bits.  I believe I have this issue of HJ, so I'll take a closer look.  I just thought it would fit this build, since it isn't just a simple same scale/grade kitbash with no mods (as described in earlier posts).