Author Topic: Group Build Suggestions  (Read 43622 times)

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
Group Build Suggestions
« on: January 13, 2006, 07:09:07 AM »
It's never too early to start thinking about the next GB... Not that it will officially start until the GB2 is over. :wink: So what do you guys want to see? Post your thoughts and I'll put them up for a vote later this year. Here's mine:

"It's Not A Gundam" - No gundam related kits. Period. Would get everyone working on different genres like Patlabor, GITS, Gasaraki, Votoms, FSS, Macross, etc....

"Shipping Costs" - Do a space craft. Fine Molds SW kits, Gundam capital ships, Trek, etc...

"K is for Kampfer" - I think GunDom suggested a Kampfer GB to me before. Could be interesting to see all the varients and since a lot of cheap ones were sold on Amazon.

The Kampfer one might make a cool "Kampfer Kontest" too.  :lol:
Rust is beautiful.

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 07:10:46 AM »
Hrmm...  I wonder why you would suggest a Kampfer group build?  Some future projects that haven't been revealed yet?  Aluminum something or others?

Ezechiel

• Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:36:49 AM »
Well....
I've got a Kampfer that I'd like to redo since I never finished it (started with aircans but now I've an airbrush). Plus I've 1 or 2 ideas of mods for it.
"It's Not A Gundam" could be fun too, might be an opportunity to continue my Type 9 that's on a big hold for now.
"Shipping Costs" doesn't appeal me at all though.
(>:3) JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION GET IN THE CAR!

stephen

• View Profile
    • Sogni Di Gundam - Gundam's Dreams
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 07:42:23 AM »
I would like a "it's not a gundam" or a "spaceship from every Gundam era". :oops:

But I'm waiting to see what comes out so i could decide to take part at it  :D

For the finishing date have you an idea ?
Don't say you are not able to do something before trying to do it !

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 07:44:37 AM »
Well, whatever we decide on wouldn't start till later... around may/june. So depending one what we decide to do we'll figure out a good end date.

So give me some more GB ideas! Don't just comment on mine! :P
Rust is beautiful.

Doctor Seleski

• Do they make that in pink?
  • Char!
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »
No Kampfer here.  Though making it a kit specific build may not be a bad idea.  What about a GM build?

What about a build that limits the cost/number of materials or restricts what can be used/done?  That could lead to new techniques to share and be a good learning experience.

Not that my ideas should be considered anyway.  GB1 was a big fail for me.  :(

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 08:10:28 AM »
Phil and I were just chatting about the "limited" option and came up with something that might be cool.

Junk-Bots!

Basically you use parts from your leftovers and scrapped kits to make something new. I saw a site somewhere with these done but I can't find the link.

So the premise would be that you only use scrap parts or misc kit parts, but not a whole kit. As for scratch-building there'd be a limit to only like 30-50% styrene and putty allowed. Could be a lot of fun and push the envelope and skills up to a new level for us all. Kind of like a "junkyard wars" thing.
Rust is beautiful.

stephen

• View Profile
    • Sogni Di Gundam - Gundam's Dreams
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 08:20:58 AM »
Hey FF , may be the site of my webfriend Juliano Redigolo  http://jukabala.tripod.com/

He makes very nice works with other models parts.

It's a good idea also this one.
Don't say you are not able to do something before trying to do it !

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 08:23:02 AM »
That's the one! I knew it was someone I knew! I just couldn't remember who it was! We should totally do this as a GB. 8)
Rust is beautiful.

erix93

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 08:49:06 AM »
Oops!! Looks like already got an ideal....

Actually I was thinking about Vitrual-On....... :oops:

(Maybe I'm just loving to do robots..... :P )

Doctor Seleski

• Do they make that in pink?
  • Char!
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 08:56:43 AM »
The idea is to be creative with objects, not just following a guide.  So you couldn't use any more than 30% (maybe less?) of any existing kit's parts.  Styrene to scratchbuild would be good and of course there is no limit to what found objects (spare parts from kits, broken items, household/common objects) you could use.  Limit and/or exclude option part sets, etc.

Anything from making something that looks like an existing mech, but without using a kit (ex: Bound Doc) to making a new mech out of old kit parts and other objects (ex: mutli grade/scale Gundam).  Like the scratchbuilt work in the Gundam Wars mooks, or even the original MaK works.

Prometheum5

• Banned
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 09:45:26 AM »
Non Gundam would be fun.  I've got a bunch of Macross kits to build and a Mospeada Ride Armor...
his user has been banned.

Asmodeous

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 10:16:34 AM »
I can see doing the 3 you suggested Mike.  I've got a  Wildwurger from super robot wars that I've basicly just snapped the torso and arms to.  ( I broke one of the arm pegs and stoped at that point)  I can also do the ship build because I have 2 starfurys that I've not even opened yet.  I also have a Kampher that I've snapped and have been itching to finish.

GunDom

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 02:57:16 PM »
The Kampfer idea was brought up because I was really hyped about getting my plans done.  However, I don't think that there will be a huge turn around even if it was chosen as the next GB.  There's really not much you can do with it.  Besides, the suggestion was to do a Kampfer and totally redo it from top to bottom.  Kinda like what I'm already doing.  See Jagd Kampfer thread for details...  which is still in hybernation (must wait for a few more weeks to get things done before I continue)...  

Anyway, the idea of Junk-bots sounds like a cool idea.  Just need a lot of imagination.

Another idea, not for GB3, or a possibility, is to make your own interpretation of the Dreissen.  The Dom variant in ZZ Gundam.  I figured since the 1/144 version is no longer available, and we can use the internal of the Dom or Rick Dom MG, maybe it's a good challenge for anyone who would like to participate.  It's a long shot since you need to scrap a Dom or Rick Dom kit for an almost full scratch build that doesn't have a lot of info except on what is in MAHQ!  Unless someone has the old 1/144 kit and can just do a copy over in terms of proportion.  But even the old kit is out of proportion!  So I don't know if this is too much of a group build to even make it a reality.

In a sense, you can say that it's like how Mike is tackling the G-tetra since Bandai is way too slow on their production on "NICE" suits!  Too much Gundam and less of the other stuff!  It gets repetitive.  

Don't mind me...  I'm nuts!

Garoad

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 03:08:53 PM »
Why don't you guys do like a RX-78 variation. Jazz up the RX-78 maybe you know? Leopard skin RX-78, now thats kinky.

David-GelgoogAce

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 03:45:01 PM »
I like the GM idea, since there are many types of GM around.
Scratch Building Great things as we speak.

Still workin on that Damn Gelgoog. Will he ever finish.... Of course he will.

P.S

GOOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 03:49:50 PM »
Quote from: "Garoad"
Why don't you guys do like a RX-78 variation. Jazz up the RX-78 maybe you know? Leopard skin RX-78, now thats kinky.

RX-78 GB is never gonna happen. Too bland, common, and easy. The group-builds are about inspiration and learning new tricks and techniques.

GB1 introduced lots of people to a larger scale and more realistic weathering.

GB2, while "Gundam" requires modification skills on most entries since there's only the 1/144 Hazel and a few DH kits in the AoZ world. So it introduces folks to modding, both light and heavy.

GB3 should continue that trend of expanding your modeling skillset. I'm leaning towards the junk-bot idea at the moment just because it's almost "anything goes"! You can throw the instructions away and really come up with something different. No one's entry will be the same! You could go as simple or as insane as you want! Clean or junked! Big or small!

I like the non-Gundam idea for the same reason. It breaks you guys out of your Gundam rut and gets you trying something new.

GunDom: Maybe the Kampfer would be more suited for a Kontest?
Rust is beautiful.

GunDom

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 04:31:21 PM »
GunDom: Maybe the Kampfer would be more suited for a Kontest?

Definitely a Kontest idea.  And the Dom idea...  maybe for another contest.  Or a GB4 using any MG or PG to create a non-existent "Gundam" related suit.  At least Mike, for a possible GB4, there's already your G-tetra, and my idea of a Rick  Dom to be converted to a Dreissen!  Who knows?  Maybe some of the more experienced modelers in this forum can really show their stuff by creating something new based on their intrepretation.  I can see a Qubeley Mass production and Sturm Dias for the easier ones.  Or Jagd Doga using a Kampfer as a base.  Or why not even go to extremes and use the internals of the Nu and Sazabi to create the bigger ZZ suits?  Freedom to be used as a Double X?  And there are tons more to name...  but if this idea becomes a GB someday, it's best what others can come up with to make it more interesting.  I say, I think we should start tacking non-existent suits instead of waiting for Bandai or Core-Works, or even G-sys to come up with it.  And for the less experience ones, if something like this does happen, don't take it as a slap in the face.  It's not for the experienced modelers to show off.  It's more of tackling an idea and creating it as an inspiration to others.  I hope I said it in a proper way without harming anyone's feelings.

Anyway, the Junk-bot is a cool concept.

maxwinamp

• View Profile
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 04:57:31 PM »
Hmm... I always wanted to build some mech out of scrap..  :lol:
Junk Bot GB would be cool.  :evil: :)

Another suggestion is Macross Valkyrie, but then it would be 'norm' and doesn't kick in the creative nitro :P

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
Group Build Suggestions
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 05:27:08 PM »
I like the junkbot idea too but the GM idea holds some promise too.