Author Topic: What do you like in a model show?  (Read 4430 times)

January 07, 2006, 03:00:20 PM
Read 4430 times

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Hi guys,

Last night at our club meeting we got into a rather lengthy discussion regarding improving our annual model show. One of our members started an informal poll at a few of the sites he frequents like ArmoramA. Below I'll quote his post. Please think about this and be thorough with your responses. It'd be really appriciated! Thanks!

Hi all,
My IPMS club got into a discussion on how best to improve and promote our model show.
We're located in Pittsburgh PA and average 220 models on the table most years. 75 miles south in Morgantown WV they average
5-600 ( it seems).
We want to know just what we need to do to change things around.
One thing discussed was just what people want from a show. Or for what reason do they attend.
So I thought I'd ask everyone here...
Why do you attend a show?
What makes you travel more than 50 miles to attend a show?
What would you most like to see at a show?
What would you like to see disappear from a show?

Here's a link to our show web site. Please take a look and let me know what you think of it (show promotion or otherwise)
3 Rivers IPMS
Thanks,

January 07, 2006, 03:07:13 PM
Reply #1

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
Even Though Ive never really been to a show (none around here  :( ) One reason I would go, would be to see new and inovative ways to bring out the most detail in a kit. Second I would go to meet with fellow modelers and so forth. Third I would go for items that I can buy on the internet (but would rather see in person) and also items that are rare. And last to maybe win a trophe 8)
Hey, how's it going?

January 08, 2006, 03:02:23 AM
Reply #2

Orath

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.orath.com
A show is something i long for but never can attend one due that i am living in mainland china  :cry: and the commuinty for modeling is almost nill in the city i live.
anyway i think the most important thing someone can achieve by attending these shows is expanding his horizion. getting to know other modelers, seeing their works and the exchange of information and techniques. (and the feeling am not alone  :roll: ) the online commuinties are great but nothing beats a real life hang out with modeling as the subject. i believe real life interaction to be the best and i would drive 100km for it.

January 09, 2006, 11:45:50 PM
Reply #3

fugu

• Information
    • View Profile
 -> To see other peoples works in person and see just what the heck I'm doing wrong :P

-> To see rare or BIG kits that I cannot possibly afford at my current pay :(

-> Quite honestly? Girls :)

-> Things that drive away the girls  :lol: And crappy organizers/attendants who don't know how to take care of other peoples kits :x

Even if there were only a few kits that could be said to be "worthwhile" to see in person. I'd still go to a show if I had the time. Unfortunately I've been to a few shows where I think the attendants just weren't taking care of the kits properly.
..hmm, I'm supposed to type something witty here...

January 10, 2006, 09:49:58 AM
Reply #4

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger

to see amazing builds to inspire me. Sadly, there's not much of that here, so I stopped going to shows. That's why I turn to the web so much. I'll go to shows for the dealer's tables. Sometimes, that's all I go to.

I don't and I wouldn't. an hour's drive, I could spend that time building models. But that's just me.

strippers. err informative seminars that I can't figure out from the internet. Face it, the net has a new model tip several times a day. A famous model guy or something rare like the old wooden pattern masters and a pantograph machine before all this computer stuff. If it's armor or aircraft related, have real equipment displayed. Maybe not a tank, but ammo, or a Revi sight or HUD system, modern body armor, something as good reference material. A vet recounting their experiences.

attitude in judges. just because you know everything on the subject, doesn't make you god. oh, and fat chicks in cosplay. Gee, Faye put on a lot of weight since Cowboy Beebop ended. oh, and hack work winning awards because it is the anime flavor of the month.  :mad:
I wonder about the guy that can sit through a David Lynch movie and say, "I saw that coming."

Krueger's Krieger

January 10, 2006, 02:49:59 PM
Reply #5

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
I've gotta  be totally honest in that I haven't attended an IPMS show, an anime con, or anything along those lines in probably over fifteen years. However, I can say that I am  interested in attending an IPMS (or similar) show in the next year. Of course, I've been to everything from national dentist conventions to homeland security summits over the years. In addition, I've been to a few ham radio conventions and meets, as well as some regional (multi-state) wood carving and wood sculpting shows. I'll try to draw from my limited well of experience and apply it as best I can.

To meet up with people I know. To see inspiring works. To find good or rare deals from vendors or private sellers. For some reason, in my mind, a strong vendor presence--even if it's just a single vendor--legitimizes a show.

I have to travel more than 50 miles to get to work each day, so that's probably not a fair question. But let's up the ante and make it 100 or more miles for me. I'd go that far if there was no-to-low entry fees (not sure if that's realistic), plus a strong possibility of the "inspiring works" and "deal-making vendors".

A good variety--a broad spectrum representation of the hobby. And vendors. Breakout sessions and demonstrations would be nice--like a clinic on celluclay(?) or something. I don't think I'd drive 100 miles just to walk through a nice collection of model works when I can just as easily catch up with pictures online later. There has to be another draw there.

Cell phones that use really crappy MP3's as ring-tones. Of course, I'd like to see those disappear from the face of the Earth. Having never been to a show of this kind firsthand, I don't think I can fairly answer that question.

One thing that always makes good shows stand out from bad ones (of any type) is good signage, uniform appearance of display areas (no tables looking like they were pulled out and set up at the last minute), and adequate facilities (snacks or restrooms available in relative close proximity). It's also helpful when there's someone (volunteer/victim) or something (handouts) at the entrance (if appropriate) to answer very general questions about the show or the organization sponsoring it. A trophy display area? Collected news media about the show or some of its participants? As long as you don't over-extend yourself, it's hard to have too much hobby-related stuff on-hand. Just make sure you can manage what you put out there.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

January 12, 2006, 07:21:28 PM
Reply #6

Pazu

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://apo.clanrgb.net
Late reply but nonetheless I wanted to write something about this.

To meet people and see their work. It would be nice if there are merchants there to showcase their latest and greatest but ultimately we get them in our nearest store. So its the gathering of modelers and models that interests me the most.

Hm... if its a yearly affair I won't mind. Else it would have to have something really attractive like mentioned above plus maybe a organised demo, discussion.

What would you most like to see at a show? What would you like to see disappear from a show?

(I will explain together)

Interaction. Not enough effort has been done to interact people. Groupies from the same modeling guild/clan/chapter/associates are always, well, grouping. They form this 'death-ray' resistant force shield that turn many people away. If a group has a group exhibit or table to showcase their work, they should have someone manning the place at all times to talk to people who shows the appreciation to stop and look. Its so easy to break the ice by chatting up with visitors. Rather than waiting for some newbie to come ask them, cos they won't.

If there is no organised showcase by groups, have a interaction session organised. Am sure there are countless questions many visitors would like to ask. OR even questions that the organisers/participants would like to ask the visitors.

All these can make a show worth attending, even for beginners.

January 12, 2006, 07:31:45 PM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Cool! Keep em coming guys!

Pazu: I'm so glad you mentioned the interaction thing. One thing our club has been doing has been to have a "club table" at events where someone mans it and talks about our work/club with visitors. We were also thinking about having a "bull pit" where people can sit around, work on stuff, talk about stuff, etc... Glad to hear that's something of interest.

January 12, 2006, 07:56:34 PM
Reply #8

Pazu

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://apo.clanrgb.net
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
One thing our club has been doing has been to have a "club table" at events where someone mans it and talks about our work/club with visitors. We were also thinking about having a "bull pit" where people can sit around, work on stuff, talk about stuff, etc... Glad to hear that's something of interest.

I am glad to hear that though I wonder if I would be able to attend any shows in North America in my lifetime. :)

From my experience in the largest show I've been to (in Japan), my impression of this groupie syndrome is pretty bad. People just talking or sitting behind their huge table. :? Am not sure about you guys in the US cos generally we have the impression that westerner are more open and approachable. :)

January 12, 2006, 09:57:21 PM
Reply #9

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Building off what FF and Pazu have stated, I'll just throw a little bit more out there. I'm not sure how applicable this would be to a model show, however.

I've been to a lot of woodcarving shows, since my father actually makes his living at it. At a woodcarving show, the artist remains with their booth/table nearly all the time, unless they're attending to life necessities, or just checking out other works or visiting with friends. Of course, the difference being that they're usually displaying a half-dozen or more pieces at one time ranging in size from a thimble to full-sized furniture--and they're all usually for sale, as well. But that's just one thing that's built into the layout of the show itself--space behind the table for the artist. Heck, most of them are usually working on new pieces at the show itself. It's always fun to see them actually working on pieces like they're displaying.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

January 12, 2006, 11:35:34 PM
Reply #10

ProfessorOhki

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.neoterrastudios.com

Well, actually I know very little about said shows.  From what I've heard though, they seem interesting.  Would probably be a great chance for a newbie such as I to get an idea of what really is possible.

Hmm, I might, if I had some sort of assurance it would be worth the drive.  Like I knew someone else who was going to be there, it was focused on something I like, or if it was well known.

Not sure (not knowing what is lacking), but the reason I'd go is to see new and interesting ideas, rather than just spins on old ones.

Well, this is an assumption, but: elitists.  I'm new to the community and I'm yet to run into one, but ever community has them;  It's like a law of nature.

Now, things that would be important to me in atending a show: price, I don't know if the modeling community does full blown events like the anime community does, but it would have to be worth the payment.  Also, I don't know if they already do this... but maybe something along the lines of a panel or tutorial.  I guess it'd be kinda like a keynote type setting, but some way in which the more experiences modelers could share insights and lessons-learned with those interested in hearing them.  Maybe even some demos?

I hope I was able to help you get an idea from a newcomers point of view.

January 12, 2006, 11:45:30 PM
Reply #11

Beckylaw

• Information
    • View Profile
I've never been to a model show before. But here is some of my opinion:

To see how people's work in person, if can also like to see how they display the kits.

To meet up friends and have better chats.

A seminar or discussion on the technique of modelling. Can even have some short session of tutorial for the beginner.

Businessman who only want to make profit out of models. They are also those person that not really appreciate other works.

January 13, 2006, 02:11:41 PM
Reply #12

qc

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://qcfoundry.tripod.com
(yes i'm still alive...just looking for a house takes too much time)

Fitch..
You understand how far I travel.
I live in Lexington KY...have traveled to Pitt to see FF's show, to Atlanta, to Columbus OH, to Wonderfest.
I've seen bad...and good.
This may ramble and not have a straight message...but here are some thoughts.

- Its odd and unfair to judge your show (the Pitt show) against the Morgantown show.  In every respect your (the Pitt show) is better.  Better light (very valuable imo), better facilities, OPEN judging, better models.  So why do they have a higher turnout.  My guess...simple geography and ..."social interests".  Morgantown is in the WV  ...and could be a candidate for the hillbilly/redneck capital of the world (not trying to spam here...but there is truth to it).  Another show (south of Louisville) has a large showing of military models....know why?...its a stones' throw from Fort Knox and Gen'l Patton Museum.  From my understanding...Pitt doesn't have a local "inspiration well".  So, please don't try to compare...def apples and ....raisins

- Very few shows do it...but I love seminars.  Wonderfest has them by the hour (in 2 rooms...for 2 days)....prob 15-20 total.  I've seen most of them...and can be repetitive. But when i do go...there is always at least a dozen ppl interested and watching the teacher.  Sometimes (like at wonderfest) it may just be a fellow modeler who has a good deal of knowledge on a subject.  Sometimes, it could be celebrity modeler (once i watch mrosko talk about weathering and winter-cloud techniques at a show).  Maybe I'm speaking for myself...but I think most modelers have a thirst to learn they hobby.  I doubt any modeler likes to keep on using the same techniques over and over again.  A chance to learn something new is rarely passed up, imo.

- Fitch, from memory, I think your group could a little boost in the vendors area.  I realize getting them there and finances play a big part.  But I spend about 75% of my time at a show looking and buying.  There's plenty on the net....but when its there in front of you, you're twice as likely to buy it.  And often you'll see/buy stuff you hadn't considered before.  I suppose I'd recommend your club members attending as many shows as possible and solicity vendors to come to their show...maybe?  If they come up once and like it...they'll come up three more times even if the next 2 are a little disappointing.

- The 2 things I like about your alls show?  The light....Lot of window light coming in...and the light there was white...and low (not high ceilings).  Second, the round tables.  This may sound funny....but I like to see ALL sides of a model. Often this is difficult.  The use of round tables is best.  You can use long rows of narrow tables...but you have to go all the way around to look at the other side.  

- Even tho I did like the school...I am concerned...If your show grows a bit more...may have to look for new digs.  Wasn't crowded...but there wasn't any extra space being un-used.

- Often its a snowballing effect I feel too.  If you have a good show...it seems to grow and grow ...due to word of mouth.  If the model entrees, model quality, model assortment, and vendors are there...it just snow balls.  IMO

- I think the "bullpin" idea is tops.  Wonderfest offers a group build for the young ones...like small snap kits...and a slighty more mature version for tweens which adds in glue, sanding, putty, etc.  All the kits are donated for free (which is due to the scale of the event in the first place)....but if you find a local vendor, who's interested in some grand advertising...esply to young kids, its a good idea.  

- This is minor, imo...and you may have already used it in your (Pitt) contest, but having a theme for the contest.  Much like a group build builds a interest in ppl competing in a more focussed subject matter, a themed show offers prizes for entrees that fall into that catagory.  Themes may include "coming back from war", "life in the trenches", "the beginning of war".  These are broad enough that can be spread across several catagories...be it miltary or sci-fi.  I never aim at that...but think its an interesting tool.

- Another that I rarely participate in, but seem to see plenty of ppl interested in, is raffles of kits, supplies.  

Guess thats enough for now..
HTH
Q

February 03, 2006, 12:35:24 AM
Reply #13

Garylok

• Information
    • View Profile

Well been to Gamesday from 1999-2004 which was ran by Gamesworkshop, i realised how good and bad a show can get.

1. You get to see the best works from around the area in person, and let me tell you that works ALWAYS look better IRL unless its a professional photo. You will see colours and detail that cannot be viewed on photos and angles, proportion, brush strokes, weathering, all sorts of things can be examined on how you like.

2. People can see your works and you can stand next to them and listen to what they say about it (it makes you feel really good when they are saying positive things about it)

3. You get to meet people that have very different styles to yourself and even though they may not be as good as you, there are always techniques other people have that you might learn and expand on. Meeting and asking questions are the best way to gather new skills.

4. Competitions always make you work harder, this can be a bad thing. Do your work and judge it for yourself, dont do it for the judges, if you are not having fun doing your kit, then its not a hobby anymore, remember that. Although it can be a good thing, because it takes you to over the limit and creating something very unique.

5. Cosplay is so cool, i could never get myself in a costume, at first i used to laugh at them, but realised it was actually pretty cool and fun, no need to be embarassed because everyone there is holding the same interests. Its amazing some people can craft those costumes!

There are so many more, but these are the main reasons i would go for.

This question is pretty stupid if you ask me, as the first question answers it.

hmm lol sorta like my answer to question 1 again but if you are saying "most" then i would have to say observing other peoples work and also asking questions on them so i can improve my own skills. Also i love competitions and walking away with a trophey makes you feel like all your efforts are worth it. Being a Golden Demon winner 2 years a row (form Gamesday) it made me very proud of myself and people came to me and asked me lots of questions - sharing techniques and improve your rivals makes you a better painter! Dont hog them all!

If you are talking about what i would like to see out of the regular are major dio's. I mean huge as in for example, X1 Destroy - from Gundam Seed Destiny EPS 31 - attacking the city with Freedom/Impluse/Minerva/Archangel all defending.

A show going for too long makes it boring. A show that goes for 6 hours really gets me bored. I have done everything in 3-4 hours and then i sit there and wait for the next 2-3 hours till the comp winners are announced.

February 03, 2006, 03:36:00 PM
Reply #14

Deepstriker

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gundamworkshop.com
I thought I'd like to share some experiences in this area, so here goes my post :P:

Ussually I attend for some kind of competition, but at the same time its interesting enough that others who have no clue what the competition is about, can enjoy it at the same time. For a model contest I went to a couple years back (Hosted by GundamWorkshop) we basically have a "japanese" type of competition, where the entries are set up on tables and after set-up, people are free to look at the exhibitions. You get to talk to fellow modellers, and share some experience and ideas, which is a good thing whether you are beginner or advanced level. After the free-viewing, the judges close the door and vote on the entries. One thing that stood out to me though, is that they have a judge that knows NOTHING about gundam (I think it was a military modeller) to see his feedback on the models. This gets interesting then, because you get to see more than the "gundam" way of viewing models.

I cant quite answer this question, since I have only

Great exhibits of course, and maybe some kind of entertainment to make the waits seem shorter. Also I'd like to see more than one type of modelling.

Umm, I guess the best I can say is that sometimes the judge waiting gets too long, and that set-up should be the day before. Sometimes entrants dont feel like waiting around for the results, and are busy people. So making them wait may obstruct their schedules.