Author Topic: 1/6 Spacebase 2000 Inspired Sci Fi Astronaut Sculpt  (Read 5545 times)

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Re: 1/6 Spacebase 2000 Inspired Sci Fi Astronaut Sculpt
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 07:32:43 AM »
Got the other ear sorted, roughed in the detail with a ball stylus then used a scalpel to thin it down and match the shape of the other one trimming where needed.
And just for the hell of it gave him a simple collar.

Next up I'll neaten it up, tweak here and there and make a start on his hair, not going to leave him a chrome dome :)

Thanks for looking, more soon :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

JohnLogan

• Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 10:36:57 PM »
Very cool post. I find it most interesting to see the transformation of how you sculpt the figure. Thank for sharing.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 04:27:23 AM »
Cheers John! :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »
We have eyebrows! :)

Next  up I'll start on his hair do

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 10:56:09 AM »
Hmm think he lost a little anger with my eyebrow placement, so i did a little surgery today.
I scalpeled into his brows from the nose creases 1/3 of the way and then pushed them towards the eye more.

Still need to lower the right a little more, and maybe shorten them both slightly.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »
Had a chance to sculpt a bit today, so I've tweaked the scowl a little more and made a start on his hair.

Rolled some polymer clay very thin and cut the side burn shapes with a scalpel and built up and smoothed over a basic crew cut base. From here I'll use tapered rolls of clay to give him a neat side parting which i will then rough up and give some hair texture with the tools.

So next up more hair work and I'll start thinking about his helmet.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
Worked on the hair some more today, im basically laying down chunky locks which I'll refine later.

Then came helmet frustration! I bought a round clear bauble which turned out to be too small, and after wanting a low egg shaped visor instead i bought an egg which was too large, so im expecting to find Goldilocks at home!

So the hair work will continue and I'll grab a slightly smaller clear egg, that was a 100mm one so now im thinking 80mm is the way to go.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
Justa little update, think the main work on the locks is done, tomorrow I'll start working it with my tools to getvthe hair texture and add more fine details

Also just did a quick concept sketch of the helmet i have in mind, the tube shaped rim on the inside edge the arrows are pointing at is going to be a white tube light.

Clear helmet and a light inside because of course with all the trouble im going to sculpting his head i want to make sure is visible to the max!  :lol:

Thanks for looking, more soon :)

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »
Actually you know what screw it, I've got clear eggs coming out of my ears but Im just not feeling it.
Think I will have a crack at doing a plunge mold for a helmet with a more angled front, looked up some info on how to go about it and now I'll just need to carve a shape.

But for now I've done some work detailing the hair more with my scalpel and other tools.

It still looks a bit rough, I'll brush some surgical spirit over it after I've finished to neaten it up. I'll also use a stiff brush to stipple over and tie it together with a extra detail.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 06:47:44 AM »
Right sorted out the sideburns and got the hair flowing the rihht way!
And ive added more fine texture to the big locks i laid down, and using a toothbrush i brushed and stippled here and there for some finer detail.

So next I'll be smoothing the hair and rest of the head with some surgical spirit, and then i think im calling the head done. Its hit a point where i think its as good as i can get it so im stopping before i balls it up! :lol:

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
Okay just a little update, brushed over some surgical spirit which got rid off all the little bits in the hair and the head is officially done.

I know its not 100% perfect but it's more than good enough for me.

So blown away by what I've accomplished, i really don't mean that to sound bigheaded, its just i really wasn't as confident as i may have seemed when starting this project.

Now its time to bake it to lock in the detail while i work on the torso and helmet collar, im praying the bake goes well checking out lots of info on it to make sure i don't screw it up.

Thanks for looking, more soon :):-)

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »
He's all baked! No going back now thecdetail is all locked in.
Looked around at some baking tips and from what i read its pretty straightforward. For now as its only a bake to protect detail, I've stuck to the standard 15 minutes at 130c for every 1/4" of thickness. But apparently baking longer is recommended for strength by a lot of sculptors so I'll do that on the final bake.

Had to trim the threaded rod to get him in the oven and there was some darkening of the clay but that's good apparently the darker it is the stronger.

So next up its torso time! Doubt I'll get anymore done over easter, so no updates till next week.

Hope you all have a good one!

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 11:20:56 AM »
I've started back on him now, nothing spectacular to show, just blocking outvthe torso. The slight collar is just a rough guide to see where i want the helmet to go.

Just wanted to show i am still working on it! Next I'll continue building up the torso.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
Been adding and smoothing on the torso today, built it up and then smoothed it over as a base for my firm start on the spacecsuits armor plating.

New tool im using for raking is an old (and washed!) nit comb. Im using as a rake to smooth over bumbs with a cross hatch patern wich i smooth over with my finger.

Next up I'll start building up and defining some areas of detail like the shoulder pads and chest plates.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 11:40:37 AM »
Okay been working on his neck line and chest. Wanted to define the neck of the spacesuit more, and start to shape outvand build up his chest armor.
I drew a line with my ball stylus to mark it then after putting a sausage along the line i blended it a bit, bulked out the area with bits of clay then used a large ball stylus to blend it all

I also started to build up the crotch a bit more, and i trimmed his shoulders back, I'll add the pads later for now i want to get his look right.
Next up I'll build up the torso with more armor and smooth what I've done so far.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 07:25:54 AM »
Wow sorry i haven't updated this in a long time!

The guys head is done and I've got the body and suit 75% done.

Way too much has happened to post the hundreds of pics, you can check the progress here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996371-16-spacebase-2000-inspired-astronaut-sculpt/&
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:52:48 PM by Hunter Rose »