Author Topic: Priming Post Construction  (Read 2706 times)

dycaroidx

• New Poster
    • View Profile
Priming Post Construction
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:42:24 AM »
Hi all!

Heres the thing, I love seeing the fully primed pose phase that everyone does prior to painting and would like to do so on my RGM-79GS 1/144.  There is a problem section here that I hope someone could help me out with.

It is the ankle joint that is surrounded by the lower leg armor.  How would I prime the ankle joint, put the leg armor with cement and putty & prime and then take it apart to paint later?  Masking does not seem to be a solid solution here and I can't see a way to cut the lower half to simply pull the ankle joint out (I wouldn't want to do this either).  

My last hope here is simply to paint it the grey color I want for internals and pose as if it were primed.  Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

- Francis
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:43:55 AM by dycaroidx »

blacklotus

• View Profile
Re: Priming Post Construction
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »
you need to mod the kit for easy assembly / dis-assembly , mods that allow u to take parts of without the need od taking apart you kit:

u need to cut either the grey parts to allow it to get free onto the white part.

these video might help you get the idea:
http://youtu.be/-dtCt9IJwTk

you might also search the web: https://www.google.ro/#q=mod+for+easy+painting+gunpla

dycaroidx

• New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:02:45 PM »
Thanks for answering.  I do use a combination of slant/cutting pegs and thinning out their respective female holes. 

As for your suggestion, I can see how that could make it easy to pull out the ankle joint later and allow for separate painting.  in the final phase (post painting and surfacing) would you glue that joint into the inside? Otherwise I would imagine if I were to pick up the model from the chest, the ankle joint and foot would disconnect from the kit.  Sorry if this is very much a beginner question.

blacklotus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 01:17:46 AM »
after all was painted, yes i would glue the parts in place for the kit to be sturdy and not have any parts flying around  :lol:

The Inner Geek

• View Profile
    • The Inner Geek
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »
If you would rather not modify the way the ankle fits in the leg, you could just paint the internal ankle bits beforehand. You would still be able to get a primer only shot of the armor which will cover most of that part anyway. Basically your 'last hope' idea.

dycaroidx

• New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 07:53:41 PM »
From my research I've seen that the most common mods are the face removal mod.  All the other type of modifications really seem (to me) to be on a case by case basis.  Which is probably part of the fun of this hobby.  I have another situation that I was wondering how you guys would tackle.

The white abdomen area looks like an easy area to prep for easy disassembly.  The only things holding it are 4 internal pegs from the upper torso.  I could either clip the pegs or cut gaps in the white part.  But there is almost no surface area to glue to after I do this.  Should I just stick to masking? 

For the internal grey chest parts I think can only be accomplished by masking.

I also attached a pic of pre-assembly just for an overall image.