Author Topic: Drone Sniper (1/8th scale resin from Industria Mechanika)  (Read 3668 times)

August 01, 2013, 03:26:42 AM
Read 3668 times

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi folks,

I'm not sure why I put off finishing this for a month, it didn't actually take all that long to do the final assembly, wiring and scenics. But it's done now!

(click for bigger/more pictures on Flickr)

The kit is from Industria Mechanika, and is a resin cast of a 3D-printed master of a model by a guy called Mike Jensen. My original plan was to do something a bit shinier and cleaner, but I found that the surface was basically too complex to polish, and opted for a weathered finish instead :) The inspiration was District 9, and more specifically Neill Blomkamp's earlier short Tetra Vaal, so I modelled the surroundings after Soweto.

I remodelled the sniper rifle from the kit-supplied anti-materiel weapon to something a little bit more futuristic and police-like, and hollowed out the head and neck to light the eyes. The paint is decanted Tamiya and Alclad lacquer, and various acrylics over the top of that. Markings are a mixture of sprayed and various Gundam kit decals.

On the scenic front, the concrete is florists' foam (never again!) the catfood tins were made from thick foil with laser-printed labels, and the bees are H0 scale from Busch - only 10x larger than they should be for 1:87!

More details of the build here: http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6871.0

Thanks massively to the people who commented on the build thread, I got some key suggestions from there which really helped shape this project!

and a few close-ups:

Incidentally, I spent a lot of time looking at photographs of the poorer areas of Soweto, particularly Kliptown, to get the colours and plants looking right, and felt kind of crap afterwards, like I was taking advantage of other people. I opted to donate some money to Kliptown Youth Program, it's not much, but hopefully better than doing nothing.

If you want to help out, see here: http://www.kliptownyouthprogram.org.za/

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Will
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:36:17 AM by Will Vale »

August 01, 2013, 06:58:12 AM
Reply #1

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
I've seen this project from beginning tho the finish. TBO when I see painting for the first time I didn't like that at all. I don't know why something did not fit my vision of this figure. 
But I was wrong. I heaven't seen the whole picture.
Gentle weathering is top notch and the base has amazing ideas.
Congrats! Can't wait for your next project.

August 01, 2013, 11:06:51 AM
Reply #2

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
This just looks all kinds of awesome Will!

Weathering is top notch, and i really like the base. Its been a joy watching this come together, the time and effort has really paid off. And i think the donation was a really nice thing to do.

Looking forward to your next build mate :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 01, 2013, 03:08:15 PM
Reply #3

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I've just realised there's some nasty blotchiness in a couple of the backgrounds, I'll try and sort those out at lunchtime. Grr.

TBO when I see painting for the first time I didn't like that at all. I don't know why something did not fit my vision of this figure. 
I wasn't entirely sure how it was going to go myself, I was definitely following the concept art a bit while trying to retain some of my original (more white) plan. I thought the white sections were a risk because there wasn't always a clear indicator that the muscle and armour were made of different materials, particularly on the calves and upper arms. It also made for some slightly odd, almost camp colour blocks, but I think it worked out in the end.

White's a nasty colour to paint, but it's fun to weather and it set off the spot colours (red, blue, orange) really well.

I should get the LCAC finished next, and I'm supposed to be building a Wessex, but I kinda want to do something more sci-fi again. Waldo??

Cheers,

Will

August 01, 2013, 08:49:51 PM
Reply #4

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
You did a terrific job on this kit. Really impressive, and it was good fun reading along with your process. As usual, I suppose!

August 05, 2013, 12:25:41 PM
Reply #5

Dave Diaz

• Information
    • View Profile
There is nothing better than a completed model.

Especialy when you have seen it from begining to end. Amazing work Will!

dave

August 07, 2013, 03:24:45 PM
Reply #6

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile

August 12, 2013, 10:06:54 PM
Reply #7

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Everything about this is awesome. Mike Jensen is one of my favorite 3D artists and this does his work justice. Really like the color choices, tones, and break up. Inspiring.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:07:38 PM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

August 14, 2013, 02:11:25 PM
Reply #8

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks! I suppose I went for a mix of the colours and layout in Mike's concept (off-greys) and my original idea which was to do something with a lot of white. I'm still not totally sure that the calves and biceps should be white - they're probably muscle bundles - but it looks pretty cool.