Author Topic: Iron Man Mk VII 1/9 Scale from Dragon  (Read 3848 times)

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Iron Man Mk VII 1/9 Scale from Dragon
« on: June 12, 2013, 05:36:29 AM »
Photobucket zapped all my photos, photos of all my builds can now be found on flickr here: - https://www.flickr.com/photos/149967113@N08/albums

And this is a link to my latest sci-fi sculpture build - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996371-16-spacebase-2000-inspired-astronaut-sculpt/&page=1

This is my build of Dragons Avengers version of Iron Man, its for a display model to advertise the kit in my friends comic book shop.

This was a pretty fun build, thanks to Dragons moulding it was a breeze to construct and masking isnt actually as big a headache as it looks when complete. My old halogen lights I use when photographing tend to give a red hue, so apologies for the "warmth" of the photos! I have included 2 outdoor natural light shots to get a better sense of the colours.

Link to the wip http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6873.0

Thanks for looking all comments and questions welcome  :-)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:14:08 AM by Hunter Rose »
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

Jiloo

• | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man Mk VII 1/9 Scale from Dragon
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:24:10 AM »
Nice and clean. Good work.

I love this red.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 06:34:11 AM »
Thanks Jiloo! Yeah its almost as good as your spoon!  :D
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

Jiloo

• | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 07:40:40 AM »
You defenitely have better metallic sheen underneath. I really like it.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:00:42 AM »
Thanks again mate  :-)

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »
Lovely colours! Definitely pops, especially in the natural light. Your buddy should definitely move some kits based on this!

Will Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 09:02:06 PM »
Brilliant! I've seen a few of these built up but this is probably my favourite because it's so completely clean. Great masking.

BTW, have you tried colour-correcting the images afterward, or setting the white point on your camera before taking the pics? Many image editors will let you pick a neutral colour and use that to fix the whites.

Will

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »
Lovely colours! Definitely pops, especially in the natural light. Your buddy should definitely move some kits based on this!

Brilliant! I've seen a few of these built up but this is probably my favourite because it's so completely clean. Great masking.

BTW, have you tried colour-correcting the images afterward, or setting the white point on your camera before taking the pics? Many image editors will let you pick a neutral colour and use that to fix the whites.

Will

Thanks guys appreciate the compliments!

@Will - Did try colour correcting with Gimp, but auto white balance sent them green and I just couldnt seem to get the color settings right so just used them as is, Im not 100% camera savvy but I'll have to fiddle with my settings next time. I love modelling but the final photo stage is the bit that frustrates the hell out of me! I need some dirt cheap better lights

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 12:42:35 AM »
Apologies for double post, had a better go at cleaning up the images, desaturaed them and it seems to have helped a lot. I really need to try harder BEFORE posting!

Will Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 04:09:53 AM »
If you're a GIMP user, have you tried this:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/gimptutorials/ss/Correct-White-Balance_2.htm

The idea is to pick a neutral grey or non-blown-outwhite in your image and GIMP will use that to determine the white balance. It's always less effective than using a RAW file (because data is lost when going to JPG) but it should probably help.

Cheers,

Will

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:25:35 AM »
Thanks a lot Will that was really great info, tried it on some and it was much better. My graphics work is vector based and less to do with photographs and such so outside of auto correct its a head scratcher!

Will Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »
I'll have to come running if I get stuck in Illustrator again :) I can do simple things with it but it confuses me soooo much.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »
well just to redeem my credentials as a graphics man i am an illustrator wizz kid so any time mate  :-)

Oh and one thing about the kit, not only did my mate at his shop really like it but another friend liked it so much he bought a kit and is paying me to do do another but with a more interesting base design, which is great

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 01:17:38 AM »
Nice! You should have even less trouble putting it together since you know your way around the kit, so you can focus on the base. What's the interesting idea?

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 01:28:33 AM »
Yeah thats just what I was thinking. Dont know for sure yet still thinking about it, a few ideas that sprung to mind were either a smashed street (like the prepainted version) or same smashed street but with a section of crushed nearly flat NYC taxi and maybe a street sign or (more ambitiously) scratchbuild a roughly 1:1 chest arc reactor for him to stand on.

Will Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 02:32:24 AM »
With lights!

Jiloo

• | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 02:35:43 AM »
Oh and one thing about the kit, not only did my mate at his shop really like it but another friend liked it so much he bought a kit and is paying me to do do another but with a more interesting base design, which is great
Going for the same paints? Or trying Candy Now? 8)
Since it is a commision, I asume you'll go with tranpareny red.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 02:44:01 AM »
With lights!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... Yeah, I've avoided lights for so long I may just take the plunge! The way the kits put together in terms of actually getting the wires and leds in that shouldn't be a problem, and it would add so much to the look.

Going for the same paints? Or trying Candy Now? 8)
Since it is a commision, I asume you'll go with tranpareny red.

Same paint, for 3 reasons 1. I know 100% it will turn out okay 2. as said before I LOVE hot metal red, but most importantly 3. He's paying for the paint so 4 more bottles is fine by me!  :lol:

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 09:00:17 AM »
Nice work. The outdoor pics look much better!
Rust is beautiful.

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »
Thanks Mike! Yeah i think from now on I'll  just do all my photography outside!  :D