Author Topic: My first REAL modding job.  (Read 5067 times)

TheFallen

• View Profile
My first REAL modding job.
« on: December 12, 2005, 12:37:19 PM »
Hi everyone. I would like to say that I've been a big fan of FF for years now, and this site is the reason why I became reinterested in gunpla. Most of my model kits have been stock builds as I always loved the history behind the suits, and I never really thought much past them. However as the years grew I started looking and MSV and getting nice and amazing designs stuck in my head. Now, I'm wanting to build a design that isnt really not in the universe but just not seen in the original series.

Basically I'm wanting to creat the RX-78-3, or G-3, In perfect grade form no less. Now, the modding comes into play as that I'm wishing to make blends into the Katoki version of the moble suit.

The reason being is that the g-3 was supposidly 30% faster than its original counterpart, so besides the magnetic coated joints I wanted to create small 'evolutions' in the design, to show the step up between the orignal gundam and the counterparts shown in 0080 and even 0083.

One of the main mods I was wanting was to make the signature katoki four thrusters in the main backpack, instead of the regular two. However I'm somewhat lost as to how.
The only thing I can think up is cutting pipe to form a bent Y with three ball joints.

Does anyone have a better way? Cause Id love to know. Thanks for everyones time, and happy holidays.
OTE: Atmostpheric entry is not for everyone. Find what works for you!
This as been a public service announcment of the Gundam Ad Council.

Mrex-sgundam

• Man of Mystery
    • View Profile
    • Operation Lifesaver
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 01:01:04 PM »
I think I read it right sorry if I didn't, but 1 way you can do this is to use the Katoki ver or u can order the parts from R10 and go from there.

hope that helps. :)
My fellow Americans, I have not been entirely truthful with you. I did gagoogidy that girl. I gashmoygadied her gaflavity with my googus. And I am sorry.-Quagmire

TheFallen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 01:06:38 PM »
Did the ever make a katoki version of the perfect grade? Cause that would SO cut my headache in half.

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 01:10:24 PM »
G-sys made a Katoki conversion for the PG...

Mrex-sgundam

• Man of Mystery
    • View Profile
    • Operation Lifesaver
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 01:13:10 PM »
O I see I knew I was reading it wrong. No they did not I'm thinking about MG. Well from what I see on Dalong.net I would cut the flap above the thrusters, then move the thruster up and add the next two thrusters to the bottom.
My fellow Americans, I have not been entirely truthful with you. I did gagoogidy that girl. I gashmoygadied her gaflavity with my googus. And I am sorry.-Quagmire

TheFallen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 01:13:28 PM »
O.O......

I was not privy to this information. Really however I'm not looking for the entire kit, im just trying to find a good way to customise the backpack. Getting the hundred dollar or more kit just for that would be just overkill, mostly on my wallet...

Mrex-sgundam

• Man of Mystery
    • View Profile
    • Operation Lifesaver
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »
Quote from: "fulcy"
G-sys made a Katoki conversion for the PG...

you beat me to it :D

http://www.g-system-shop.com/

TheFallen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 01:22:57 PM »
I must be blind 'cause I'm not seeing 1/60th scale. And...yeah there a little bit outta my price range. I mean I love making models, but I could by a nice flat panel tv for my room for the same price.....

They are beautiful howver.

Mrex-sgundam

• Man of Mystery
    • View Profile
    • Operation Lifesaver
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 01:29:33 PM »
Quote from: "TheFallen"
I must be blind 'cause I'm not seeing 1/60th scale. And...yeah there a little bit outta my price range. I mean I love making models, but I could by a nice flat panel tv for my room for the same price.....

They are beautiful howver.

O you have to click on the screen when you get there

TheFallen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 01:43:24 PM »
ahh, Thank you I found it.

Like I said, its a little bit overkill for what I'm wanting. However for doing a project like that down the road, pending money It would be rather amazing thing to do.

Asmodeous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 02:48:38 PM »
This may sound like a lot of work and money but why not get the majority of the backpack parts from Rainbow10 for the PG MK 2 and then bash them with the backpack you have to form the kai-ish backpack you want.  The curves would give it an "updated" feel right?   Just my opinon.

TheFallen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 03:27:17 PM »
The curves would be cool, but its not really what I'm looking for.

Let me see if I can rephrase what I'm wanting, I wanta  Katoki like design, not the thing itself.

Basicaly the G-3 was a test bed unit that was used in Jaburo, most modifications would be done in feild and then data would be reported back to the higher ups. Basically its the start of the evolutions you see in forms like the NT-1 or KA GM variants.

So far I have small things like:

I drilled five holes on the sides of the chest to show for better venting.

The armor in the back legs have been opened to allow thrusters to be fired without them being covered.

For help in the 30% speed I increaded the size of the calf thrusters.

Things that I'm planning:
ka styled backpack.

Ka styled feet, and sheild (minus beam sabre holders)

I might if I can cut open the crotch area to allow the legs to slide forward like the one year war model, allowing it to kneel.

Weight reduction (I'm thinking of making the calf and back armor peices one solid peice and making the five recession like in the GM sniper

Elongated plated skirt armor (i hated the yellow boxes, and they need death)

If I felt my skills were good enough I'd love to scribe some panell lines on the legs as there rather plain. But I might for my next project.

Bascially I want to make this kit look as if its a real thing, a war machine with basically on the spot upgrades. Basically I'm using the stripped out core block and stating that because of earths limitations its more or less useless, without the need for transformation you can divert the power to everything else including the thruster output.

(You'll notice that GMs lost the core fighter because of price issues, however even the NT-1 and ground units were totaly void of the core block unit as were nearly every other mobile suit with the exception of the GP-01 untill Zeta, in which the suit itself transformed.)

I also want to see if I cant scratch build a buttstock on the Beam rifle, the large output would show enough of a kick to warrent it (also would show the evolution to the rifile shown in the lineart for the NT-1) I would also like to see if I couldnt scratch build a scope, considering without White Base or another type of ship the radar system is useless. (or apparently so by the showings of the PG book.)

TheFallen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 02:55:30 PM »
Well guys christmas holidays are over, and I can finally get back to work. I spent alot of time in DC to see family and I couldn't be more happier about it. So I finally decided that with all the alterations i was going to make i need a good reference point, So I took the PG line art and altered.

What does everyone think? I tried to make it KA esque with a feel of the Alex and some GM thrown in there for good measure. What do you like? dislike? Share, I want to hear everything.

Mrex-sgundam

• Man of Mystery
    • View Profile
    • Operation Lifesaver
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 03:47:56 PM »
its cool I can see the different kits in the mods and yet it still feels like a RX-78-2. the back calf covering is that going an open vent or a thruster?

TheFallen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 04:02:07 PM »
there were two thrusters in there to begin with (well two circles really) I've replaced them with bigger ones I got off ofa 1/144 kit. I think from either the heavy arms KA or sandrock, cant remember.

Yeah, I tried to make it look like everything at once, dont know if i'm going to far or not enough.