Author Topic: Launch Octopus from Mega Man X - Heavy Mod/Scratchbuild  (Read 7196 times)

October 12, 2012, 01:13:11 PM
Read 7196 times

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
This is a heavy modification/scratchbuild of Launch Octopus, one of the 8 bosses from the Megaman X video game.

I didn't end up using that TM2 Tarantulas after all. The parts of his that I thought I was going to use (the shoulder cylinders) were replaced by two Alternator Hound spare tire cases. Other parts used include an opaque Alien figure (head), the helmet of a Tie-Fighter pilot (head), parts from a 1/144 RGM-79 (chest, legs), parts from a 1/144 Char's Zaku II (feet), parts from a 1/144 Tallgeese (crotch), parts from a 1/100 Acguy (missiles, turbines, water effects), missiles from an Animated Bumblebee (torpedoes), some no-name 1/144 Gundam Astray(?) figure (shoulders), fish from a dollar store toy (fish-torpedoes), as well as tentacles from a Doc Ock figure (...tentacles). Oh, and copious amounts of Aves Apoxie Sculpt, Tamiya Hobby Epoxy, super-glue, and sheet styrene. *whew*

I started building the head. I prefer the long version of Launch Octopus' head, rather than the remodeled, UFO-esque head that he has in more recent versions of the game. Using the Alien and Tie Fighter figures, we got to work.

I drove a screw through the back of the pilot's helmet and into what was left of the Alien figure's head after I cut off its face.

Voila.

These will be the shoulders:

I'm waiting for various parts to cure. Here are a few close ups of major components, as well as what else will be incorporated into the figure:

Here's a shot with the Launch WIP next to my X and Flame Mammoth WIPs, for scale comparison.

Cheers!

- Alty
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:25:28 PM by Altitron »

October 12, 2012, 05:41:56 PM
Reply #1

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Interesting concept, don't think I've ever seen someone do some of the Robot Masters from X :)

October 13, 2012, 03:05:32 AM
Reply #2

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
Very cool. I like how you're combining so many different models together.

October 14, 2012, 11:32:04 PM
Reply #3

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Man you must have a massive spares box!  :-)  I really like the stylised cartoony mech designs in Mega Man, so I'm interested to see where this is going, looks like your ioff to a great start
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 15, 2012, 11:45:04 PM
Reply #4

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Thanks, everyone. I also don't think I've ever seen any Mega Man X customs, either... which is a shame. There are so many cool characters, and it's such a great franchise!

Man you must have a massive spares box!  :-)  I really like the stylised cartoony mech designs in Mega Man, so I'm interested to see where this is going, looks like your ioff to a great start

Maybe I collect parts lots on Ebay? I have no idea where I come up with half of this stuff, LOL.

Anywho, update time! :)

In stress-testing Launch, I broke the waist articulation joint. It sucks to be set back, but it's also a good thing. I went back and gutted the chest from the back side, and will be building a better, stronger connection. There was also an issue of a large gap from the bottom of the torso to the top of the hips, so this will give me a chance to correct for that.

Back-side tentacles, with a placement mock up.

Missile pod shoulder open and closed, from the front and back.

'Arm' attached, with missile pod shoulder open and closed.

Here's a cool shot of everything starting to come together. Tentacles in various stages of work.

Here is the lower half. Putty curing on one foot, and plastic weld curing on the crotch. Almost there.

Here are a few shots of the goofy fish-torpedo that I am building up for Launch. He's been given teeth, a segmented underbelly, and now I am working on the optics.

And a shot of tonight's brew. :)

- Alty
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:49:30 PM by Altitron »

October 16, 2012, 01:38:15 AM
Reply #5

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cool, its really starting to come together, quick work Alty, the brew must be good modelling fuel!  :D

And I really like the missile, nicely done
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 16, 2012, 03:09:05 AM
Reply #6

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Really like the fish missile. It looks like one of those fish from those magnetic fishing games. I used to have those as a kid :)

October 16, 2012, 09:57:15 AM
Reply #7

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Here's a cool shot of everything starting to come together. Tentacles in various stages of work.

- Alty

Ah!  Kill it!  Kill it with fire!

October 16, 2012, 10:13:33 AM
Reply #8

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Thanks, guys. And beer is the ultimate modeling fuel. :)

Really like the fish missile. It looks like one of those fish from those magnetic fishing games. I used to have those as a kid :)

That's exactly where they came from. :)

I picked it up at Party City for $2.

I should have another update later tonight. Cheers!

- Alty

October 17, 2012, 11:24:30 PM
Reply #9

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Small update. Things are starting to come together:

Teaser group shot! :)

- Alty

October 20, 2012, 06:45:27 PM
Reply #10

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Small update. More to follow tomorrow.

- Alty

October 22, 2012, 11:20:14 PM
Reply #11

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Pardon the double post.

Update time.

Just about there!

- Alty

October 23, 2012, 12:40:54 AM
Reply #12

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Lookin' excellent! Looking forward to seeing some primer (or full on paint) on this to really see it come together :)

October 23, 2012, 11:08:14 PM
Reply #13

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Lookin' excellent! Looking forward to seeing some primer (or full on paint) on this to really see it come together :)

Thanks! We're almost there. :) The build is just about wrapped up. Detail sculpting soon to follow.

- Alty

October 29, 2012, 11:48:12 AM
Reply #14

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
I've begun building up the 'traps' on either side of the head, to better line everything up with the way the shoulders sit.

I also started sculpting the head last night. There's quite a few more layers to go, but I think it reads well.

Finally getting some parts primed, as well. I have slight imperfections to correct with the feet. They'll be ready to show off soon.

- Alty

October 30, 2012, 12:00:52 AM
Reply #15

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
cool the head is really starting to take shape, nice job

November 04, 2012, 11:29:23 PM
Reply #16

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
I picked up a few sheets of sticker gems at Michael's. When I saw them, I had an epiphany.

- Alty

December 25, 2012, 12:55:46 PM
Reply #17

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt