Author Topic: Adrian Smith's Frankenstein by Industria Mechanika  (Read 6735 times)

July 31, 2012, 09:48:14 AM
Read 6735 times

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com

Hi guys, I started my pre-production build-up of the 1/8 scale Adrian Smith Frankenstein kit by Industria Mechanika. Normally I donít build figures, but this one is REALLY awesome. Lots of armor to rust and weather, and no worries about getting flesh tones correct. Just need to make him look patchy and partially decayed.

I'm going to start with some white primer and probably will do the armor portions first in a combo of shiny metal and decayed rust.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/in-progress-adrian-smiths-frankenstein-by-industria-mechanika/

Iím of course a tad biased, but honestly this is a really nice kit. It went together very easily despite having 49 parts, and I didnít have the benefit of the instructions I made AFTER this! The resin is a light gray which I insisted on because itís easier on the eyes to clean-up than white or cream. And letís face it, most of us will prime it in white anyway afterwards anyway. Itís also pretty easy to work with. Sands and scrapes with an exacto easily for the minor seam clean-up. Putty use was minimal, in fact I only needed it in two spots to make clean-up easier in some cloth folds. (back of right leg)

The kit comes with real chain mail and is easy enough to work with provided you have some sharp pointy wire cutters. I used a cheap purple-handled pair from Michaelís for example. Thereís plenty in the 3″ square to detail the kit based on the instructions with some extra left over to add elsewhere. The included chain for the mace is very easy to bend the links for adding them to the resin parts.

Without the base, the figure stands 12″ tall. The best way to describe it is ďbeefyĒ. Really muscularly thick, armored, and menacing.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/in-progress-adrian-smiths-frankenstein-by-industria-mechanika/

July 31, 2012, 11:59:49 AM
Reply #1

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Wow nice! The addition of real metal chainmail is sweet.

Looking forward to seeing some paint on this fich  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 05, 2012, 12:14:34 PM
Reply #2

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks. I think it's ready for some primer now... been too busy to start though. >_<

August 05, 2012, 12:20:14 PM
Reply #3

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks. I think it's ready for some primer now... been too busy to start though. >_<

Understandable, I cant imagine how busy all this industria mechanika stuff must keep you!
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 07, 2012, 02:56:56 PM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/frankenstein/

Here's the update! Details on the site. Mostly 502 Abteilung oil paint applications, and starting the metal parts. Shiny... for now... many layers of rust and weathering to come.

August 07, 2012, 04:23:12 PM
Reply #5

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Really nice! The deathly skin tones are excellent, and I like how the stitching and raw edges work to unify the mottled skin you started with, without masking it entirely.

August 08, 2012, 10:44:06 AM
Reply #6

Joa

• Joachim HŲstlŲf
  • Information
    • View Profile
Subtle hints of greens and blues (especially around the stiched edges) would make the skin pop even more (I am aware you'll be weathering him down down the lane of paintedness...)

August 09, 2012, 11:29:16 AM
Reply #7

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Nice! The skin tones literally look like death warmed up  :D

August 12, 2012, 04:48:49 AM
Reply #8

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I added some more blues to the tone last night then tacked him together for pics before the real weathering starts.

August 12, 2012, 05:25:56 AM
Reply #9

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
It's looking awesome, very gritty. I like that the proportions are somewhat realistic and not too cartoonish, it's makes him more menacing.

August 13, 2012, 03:35:46 PM
Reply #10

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks Ez! Rishi does great work!

Here's the latest. I had a LOT of questions about how I did the rust/mud so posted a text SBS here:

Started the base also.

August 14, 2012, 02:52:35 AM
Reply #11

Beork

• Information
    • View Profile
I think I'm in love with his ugly mug, this is an awesome figure

August 14, 2012, 11:16:53 AM
Reply #12

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks!

Next up is more basework. Check the link for the how-to on the moss, leaf litter, and oak leaves.

August 14, 2012, 12:10:40 PM
Reply #13

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Really nice fich, love that base!

August 14, 2012, 01:01:10 PM
Reply #14

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks! Much more to come... this is just the first layers so to speak. hahah!

August 14, 2012, 02:54:08 PM
Reply #15

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Looking great, and thanks for the step-by-step, I like the way you move the airbrushed layers around afterwards, it's definitely more natural than straight airbrushing but still has the potential for a smooth edge. I must try that on some wagons.

Isn't scale funny - your 1/6 moss technique is not unlike what I do for 1:220 low brambles or gorse on my Z-scale layouts :)

August 14, 2012, 03:05:36 PM
Reply #16

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Wow... 1/220 would be rather tiny so I can definitely see that working. Ever try the "horsehair foliage" from Silflor? Good stuff if used right. Makes for great 1/35 to 1/20 scale weeds and of course trees and bushes at the smaller scales.

August 15, 2012, 07:20:16 AM
Reply #17

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com

Next up is some saplings/weeds made from stretched sprue/paper. http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/frankenstein/

August 15, 2012, 08:36:53 AM
Reply #18

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Wow thats a simple but really effective technique, nice

August 15, 2012, 09:26:44 AM
Reply #19

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks. I have a 3 year old Silky Dogwood that looked like this towards the end of year 1. My oldest brought it home from school one earth day as a stick wrapped in wet paper towel. Now it's a 5' bush (after triming)!