Author Topic: What was your first Model Kit?  (Read 6476 times)

xHIMx

• View Profile
What was your first Model Kit?
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »
Deathscythe 1/144 for me when i was about 12 years old ^^ He's long gone and destroyed now but i still remember it. After that when i was about 14 i got SD GPO2, i dont know why i never liked the Gundam, i just hated the design in Gundam Assault (PS1) but after getting it in SD form, i loved the kit.

Anyway, your first kit? o.o and do you still own it?

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Re: What was your first Model Kit?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:04:47 AM »
Oooh, well this is actually an interesting thread.

My first kit?
Well, my brother has been collecting Transformers for all his life, and we've both always been quite geeky. At some point we discovered the wonderful world of anime, and we started watching Gundam Wing. He started getting more interested and got a few of the 1/100 and 1/144 model kits that were available at the time.
I thought they were cool, but I hadn't really gotten the urge to build any myself yet. Several Gundam shows (and lots of anime, for me specifically) later, I graduated high school, and my dad let me pick a destination for a graduation trip that he and I would visit. I picked Tokyo.
During sightseeing I eventually found myself in a Toys R' Us, actually looking for a Gundam that my brother requested. A certain box cover caught my eye, and I decided (after much back and forth in my head) that I'd pick it up for myself.

The kit? HGUC 1/144 Gouf Flight Type, from Gundam 08th MS Team.

At that time, I wasn't even really collecting figures and model kits, so you could say this whole trip sparked me into the hobby :)
I still have it, and it's actually a similar design to what is currently my favourite line of suits, the Dom (must be the bulky legs :D).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:06:19 AM by Sharkdog »

xHIMx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »
lol nice i never really thougth i'd get into building them, but then i sold my collection of Gameboy Advance games and my first 2 Master Grades were Unicorn Gundam and Astray Blue Frame. After that i somehow ended up with about 17 MG lol.

Off topic, but i take it these forums arent very active anymore? D:

Major Williams

• Takes his time
    • View Profile
    • majorwilliams.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 09:08:19 AM »
My first kit was the MG Sinanju almost 4 years ago now.  Lots of fun.

Regarding the boards, it's slow because it's summertime!
Check out my blog for my latest projects and tutorials - http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

FilmMkr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »
Aurora Frankenstein, bought for 98 cents at the local drug store in 1961. 

Testor's model glue was 15 cents and Testor's enamel paints in the rectangular bottles was 10 cents a bottle.

That's fifty-one years building models for all you young whippersnappers.   :razz: :razz: :razz:

BossJenks

• EOD Tech
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »
Wow, I haven't posted anything in a while. Air Force keeps me pretty busy.

Filmy, jeez man. You're a salty old dude.

As for my first kit, it was an old Revell Snap-Tite A-10A Thunderbolt II. (Otherwise known as the Warthog.)

We put multiple strands of kite-line, and a couple model rocket motors on it. Needless to say, the kite-line snapped in mid flight, and my A-10 had a catastrophic hydraulic failure, and careened into the side of my garage at Mach-Oh-My-God. Blammo.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat Ham and Jam and Spam-alot!!"

Joa

• Cats make me smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »
Love this thread .. =)

Airfix 1/72 Mig-21 back in ~76-77 at my Grand parents house.
No paint, just slapped it together and added the decals.
I still remember my Grand dad thinking it odd to glue plastic pieces together to make something you could carve from wood... ^^

Will Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 05:08:09 PM »
I don't remember clearly, but I have a recollection of putting together (messily) some kind of 1/72 armoured car - probably Airfix or Matchbox - on the kitchen table before we moved to Sheffield. I guess I was 6 or 7 at the time, so that would be around '82.

I can picture it being in beige-brown plastic, and the wheels being *very* wonky. I'll have to ask my dad and see if he remembers what it was.

Will

The Inner Geek

• View Profile
    • The Inner Geek
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 04:44:13 AM »
When I was very young, my dad and I would stop at the grocery store on the way home each day to get whatever was going to be for dinner. He would let me pick out a "snap-tight" model. I don't remember what the first one was, but I had a pretty decent fleet of WWII aircraft by the time I was six or seven years old. I'd usually build them on the drive home so you can guess the quality, but for my age I think I did ok.

Then in the early 1980's I stumbled upon some Japanese model kits in a local hobby/comic shop. There was no Gundam, the robots were all 'Super Robot' types, but it was love at first sight. My first robot was a big black and purple fellow with an insect style head and a sickle with a chain and an axe blade on the end of the chain. There were no poly caps, so he made a clicking, scraping sound when you moved his joints! I remember I felt like I was decoding secret plans building off the instructions that were all in another language.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:44:37 AM by The Inner Geek »

Hunter Rose

• aka Grendel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 04:09:42 AM »
A 1/72 airfix/matchbox aeroplane kit, cant say for sure, probably would have been a spitfire or a hurricane, as a kid I used to make loads of ww2 planes and some jets, and they were always made with the landing gear up so I could play with them rather than just have them sit on a shelf, so no I dont still have any of them, they all tended to "crash"!  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:18:08 PM by Hunter Rose »
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

bigarv65

• New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »
I must have been in first or second grade, and my dad helped me pick out a very simple jet 2-pack, with a Super Sabre and something else.  I remember picking it out in the store, I remember opening the box for the first time, I remember my Dad helping me understand instructions and helping me put the first one together.  I can say, with no sense of shame whatsoever, that it was all my Dad's fault.

Zircor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »
My first model kit wasn't a Gundam...  it was a stock car that my aunt/uncle bought for my 10th birthday.  I had black/yellow testor's paint markers which I crappily painted it up with, and some red paint (it came with a jack and a fuel can).  I had still had that thing up until about 3 years ago when it broke during a bunch of moves, and I was in a rough place so just threw it out.  Wish I had kept it for inspiration  :)

My first Gundam kit(s) I bought at Target almost exactly 10 years ago, and they were HG 1/144 Freedom, 1/144 Rick Dom II, Alex, and one other I can't remember off the top of my head.  I still have them around here somewhere, most likely in my parts box.

Jiloo

• | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 03:31:44 AM »
My first attempt at modeling was about 25 years ago. Or even earlier.
I was around 10 years old and didn't do any painting. But I remember my two first models.
It was russians space craft Vostok-1 capsule. Even with Jurji Gagarin figure inside. Second was huge Concorde model.

Today I'm almost 40 and started modeling again just a year ago. It all happend because of Armored Core model kits. A was a game fan, like, forever and bring some models with me from my trip to Japan.

MT Hopper

• New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 07:18:25 AM »
An Aurora model kit of the AT-6 Texan I believe, done about 1959.

Skinopulent6

• Skin Opulent
  • New Poster
  • http://www.skinshining.com/skin-opulent-reviews/
    • View Profile
    • http://www.skinshining.com/skin-opulent-reviews/
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 02:26:20 AM »
Skin Opulent So avoid direct publicity to the solar from around 1pm to approximately 4pm, the most dangerous time, particularly in summer time. Use a very good hat and lengthy Skin Opulent  sleeved shirt. Use sunscreens sparingly, as they can contain chemicals which themselves can be nasty to our pores and skin and in a few instances are suspected of being dangerous.  For more ==== >>>>>>   http://www.skinshining.com/skin-opulent-reviews/