Author Topic: Rotary tool to sand?  (Read 2256 times)

Rawr_Bot

• View Profile
Rotary tool to sand?
« on: November 19, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
I was thinking of getting this rotary tool from harbor freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-97626.html#pr-header-97626) to grind and sand down kits. Do you think this will work for that? Thanks.

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Re: Rotary tool to sand?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:08:19 AM »
I would say if you are doing a lot of resin kits, this would be great and the price is right. If you are doing a lot of plastic, this may be a little overkill.
I rarely use my rotatory tool on normal plastic kits. That said, for the price, who cares?

Some caution though. I have bought a few cheap ones like this in the past. notice I say a few, as in, I no longer have them and now use only quality Dremmel products. The cheap rotary tools almost always have a chuck that fits weird/weak, and often they just spin all off-center and worthless for grinding without just tearing up your kit by bouncing/vibrating all over the place. Also, they are also almost always gutless. You can get a pretty sweet mid range Dremel MultiPro 2 Speed Rotary tool for about $40 or $50. A little more, but it will outlast many of the cheaper rotary stuff.

Again, for the price, who cares though right?
Hope that helps.
Throw it Hard

Father Ennis

Re: Rotary tool to sand?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:47:38 PM »
I agree that my Dremel tool is not something I use much on plastic kits but the big problem using any MOTO-tool is speed. It melts the plastic BEFORE it can grind anything !!!  You need a speed control either on the tool or a seperate device.  I did own a cheap tool from the dollar store. It was a cordless model and came with a ton of different bits. It ran only at one speed but a light touch made it worked great. Then it died. 
     If you want to go on the cheap, get a single speed Dremel and make a speed controller from a rotary light dimmer. Then you can just dial the speed you need.