Author Topic: Chinese airbrush  (Read 5004 times)

November 03, 2011, 08:42:33 PM
Read 5004 times

kat69

• Information
  • I WANT THAT KIT
    • View Profile
I just received an airbrush that I bought after trying yours as it was "CHEAP" on Fleebay. It's made by Veda (Chinese) and its link is here.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220838811745?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
It's an Iwata copy of the AB I really want to get. The Iwata is still on my Christmas list but I thought I would give this one a go. On first inspection I would say its better that my Paasche VLS. I only say this because the needle actually lines up with the air nozzle which my Paasche does not. I have been told I should order and new needle and seat for my Paasche, which I have done but this one looks good out of the box. It comes with a crown tip and a .2mm needle. The action to start the air is a bit heavy as I think the spring is too strong, but the action that increases paint flow is smooth. The nut under the tip is to fine tune the air flow so I am hoping to get the air flow where I want it and then just use the trigger as an on/off button.
I'll try it later today and mention how it goes......
If all else fails, it will be relegated to 'Dirty Duty' firing splatter and junk paint......

November 04, 2011, 05:20:24 PM
Reply #1

DrDazzle

• back to formula?
  • Information
    • View Profile
I think for most people, the HFT airbrush has proven to be a competent cheap route for those who can't afford some higher end brushes.

November 04, 2011, 06:19:36 PM
Reply #2

kat69

• Information
  • I WANT THAT KIT
    • View Profile
Yep, that's where I would place it Dr Dazzle. After a test flight last night, it proved itself as an inbetweener where comparing it to the VLS and an Iwata Eclipse. The VLS spays a nice wide pattern, so that's my workhorse. The Iwata sprays a nice, consistent fine pattern and the HFT sprays a fine pattern but it can throw a chunk of paint out when I start spraying so I have to start off the workpiece and move onto it. The one thing the HFT is good at is applying very light coat to build up color. The adjustable air screw really helps and the other air brushes I own don't have this feature, though I have seen adjustable air screws are now available on evilbay that fit between the hose and the air brush.

November 06, 2011, 10:58:18 PM
Reply #3

kat69

• Information
  • I WANT THAT KIT
    • View Profile
I've been playing with it over the last few nights and I'm getting the line thinner and thinner. I thought I had a serious problem the first night as I used some old paint as I thought, well, its only practice...... Big mistake! I did not realize the old paint could get so bad. As soon as I added thinners, all of the pigment went to the bottom and turned into a solid lump, like sediment. It blocked the whole thing up quite nicely. After a thorough clean I started again (with one more paint tin in the bin) and started off nice, but the paint was drying on the tip of the needle so I now use it with the crown off so I can just clean the tip as I go. Then I started getting what I thought was spatter, like it was sucking in air, but it actually water. I have a moisture trap on the air compressor, and thats always been enough for my Paasche but this gun didn't like it. I have since ordered a moisture trap for the gun. I tried again last night but there was still too much moisture in the air so I'll give it away until I get the new trap. I have plenty of airbrushing DVD's to keep me interested until the trap arrives.

November 10, 2011, 04:53:04 AM
Reply #4

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I've been using that ab airbrush for months, I think its great for the money.

Wow sounds like you've gone through the exact same thing as me! I take the crown off because I find it just gets in the way! and as for moisture I used to get that on mine even with a moisture trap on the compressor and bought an in line one too, that will solve your problem, it sorted mine totally I haven't had a moisture problem since and I purchased mine a year ago.
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

November 10, 2011, 05:55:51 AM
Reply #5

kat69

• Information
  • I WANT THAT KIT
    • View Profile
Great to hear that the moisture trap might fix it for good! I had another play tonight as I was watching an airbrush DVD and got inspired, but I still had the water spitting out. Apart from that I am really happy with the AB. When I bought it I was expecting a piece of rubbish but it's actually just what I wanted (when it's no spitting water). I have not used an AB that I could get nice tight lines with and tonight I thinned the paint right down, turned down the air pressure and had the smallest amount of paint coming out. I was able to get a dot the size of a full stop in this text. I could pull a line about the same thickness as the kids texta lines though I think I can get it tighter. It's a 0.2mm tip and I am using it with the crown off. I'll keep practicing.
Thanks for the info. Now I want the inline moisture trap even more but it's still in the mail.
All the best,
Scott.