Author Topic: 1/100 GMG AGX-041 custom  (Read 11257 times)

September 05, 2011, 07:49:09 PM
Read 11257 times

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • majorwilliams.blogspot.com
Finally I'm going to start this.  Instead of an afterthought of a project like I had originally intended, this will be a full project.  I am going to attempt minor weathering with the salt painting technique and some pigments.  Got any suggestions?  The hobby shop guy is pushing vallejo pigments on me.   Are they good?  I was considering the rust and oil set.

I painted a little today to see how the colors I was planning on using were going to look.  I say awesome. 

I've preshaded using Tamiya's medium blue and added white to get the "shaded" look.

Next I'm going to begin the panel line creation.  Then I'll probably give plastic plating a try.

You can be sure I'm planning some more tutorials (for my gundam building 101 series).  Any feedback you can give I always want/need!

C&C wanted!
Check out my blog for my latest projects and tutorials - http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

September 06, 2011, 04:46:16 AM
Reply #1

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
Nice!  looking good so far!  I do tend to like the Gerbera Tetra Kai over the regular version :lol:
Building Gundam Kits since 1995

September 06, 2011, 11:54:58 PM
Reply #2

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
So this is kind of the direction I want to be heading with this guy.

Upon looking at this photo though, I feel I may have been a bit too intense with my weathering.  However, the lens was super zoomed in.  The piece looks stunning in real life, and it was a beta test really. 

How do these steps look to all the weathering experts?

Metallic

Hair Spray, then salt

Black

White

Let it dry, then lightly brush off the salt.

Decals - scrape with knife to simulate decay

Rust

Oil Wash

As I begin to work through the pieces (and get different colored washes going), I'll be making a tutorial on how to achieve this look easily (and with a bit more grace haha).  It's not too bad, just lots of steps.

Random news: my wife is in nursing school now, so I have LOADS MORE TIME TO WORK ON GUNPLA  :rawr:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:57:03 PM by Major Williams »
Check out my blog for my latest projects and tutorials - http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

September 07, 2011, 12:16:04 AM
Reply #3

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Looks good to me, though I do agree on that it might be a little intense. I can't really judge it properly because this is just one small piece, but to me it looks like you maybe put on too much salt?

The rust looks really good, as do the washes. I can't really see the scraping you did on the decals, but I'm sure it achieves the right effect :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:17:35 AM by Sharkdog »

September 07, 2011, 01:59:55 PM
Reply #4

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
Looks like a good start Major Williams.
One thing that always bothers me about heavally worn and weathered Gundams, is
what the colour of "Luna Titanium" oxide would be.
 Grated other mecha more that likely could be of a Iron composite.
Just wundering??

September 07, 2011, 09:54:26 PM
Reply #5

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
I don't know what a "Lunatarian" is or anything about "Looney Terrarium's" but the wip is looking great!  :D   :razz:
Seems like you are going to make another killer piece.
I do agree about the amount of weathering. I think just because the kit isn't huge,so a little goes a long way. Maybe grind up your salt. That will help to downscale the damage and give a little more uneven look. Just a thought.
Looking great. Liking the vibrant rust and metal undercoat.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:02:50 PM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

September 07, 2011, 10:51:57 PM
Reply #6

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
I don't know what a "Lunatarian" is or anything about "Looney Terrarium's" but the wip is looking great!  :D   :razz:
Seems like you are going to make another killer piece.
I do agree about the amount of weathering. I think just because the kit isn't huge,so a little goes a long way. Maybe grind up your salt. That will help to downscale the damage and give a little more uneven look. Just a thought.
Looking great. Liking the vibrant rust and metal undercoat.
Cheers.

I think I love you.  I was not approaching this issue in this way - but I was aware it was there.  I'll give it a go and see how it works.  I'm thinking some water spray, or something, to reduce the kernel size and "square blocks".  And yes, after thinking I'm going to be started to weather slightly less here. 

September 07, 2011, 11:09:09 PM
Reply #7

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
 :lol:  Hope it helps. I also use Fasmask http://pics.towerhobbies.com/image/p/parr4281.jpg mixed with crushed salt in some chipping applications to reduce the uniform look too. Just remember to use and apply this mixture VERY sparingly and carefully. It can look really crappy,really fast. I think Fichtenfoo uses another kind of liquid mask as well. I have just always used fasmask in my RC phases and it's cheap.
That said,I dunno how that reacts with hairspray,etc? So I can't comment there.  

I seem to use different weathering techniques for each project,so you never know what works. It's good that you test everything. Some people don't understand how much that helps.  
Looking great. Can't wait to see more dude.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 11:10:08 PM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

September 08, 2011, 03:07:27 PM
Reply #8

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
To Major Williams and Grail, my intent was to bring up a point of interest (maybe interest to me alone). If I have affended anyone I am truly sorry. I have nothing but the greatest respect for Major Williams' abilities and his works. JohnLogan

September 08, 2011, 04:39:43 PM
Reply #9

Kylew

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Plamo UK
Grinding up the salt will definitely work better for the scale, and I think you should focus the salt on the edged areas, as they'd naturally be the first parts to wear that aren't caused by collisions.

September 08, 2011, 05:02:31 PM
Reply #10

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
To Major Williams and Grail, my intent was to bring up a point of interest (maybe interest to me alone). If I have affended anyone I am truly sorry.
Dude,no worries. No offense taken by me for sure.   :razz: Razzy face = joking  :D  
I like weathered and clean Gundams,but I've noticed doing weathered ones usually attracts more crits from gundam purists that don't like to see things changed too much.
Since correct Gundam universe continuity doesn't matter to me,I tend to joke about stuff like that and the Luna Metal because I don't really know much about the Gundam series and I'm just giving you the gears.. It's all good man,I never thought you were offending.
Let's see some more Major Gundam stuff  ^_^
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:17:45 AM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

September 09, 2011, 01:50:14 AM
Reply #11

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile

September 14, 2011, 12:57:42 AM
Reply #12

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
Hah some mini drama up in here!  I tend to go with whatever I think looks cool for the model in my own opinion - this is, after all, art.  But I have wondered what truly used robots who've had an entire rough life on an asteroid would look like - without a lot of oxygen, but lots of work, grease, and chipping.  For this model, however, I will be going more for standard rust and oil fatigue.

Just started some prep work for other, more rusted surfaces.

Also, I acquired this handy tool:

Tested it out, pretty decent IMO for ~$6.  Better than anything I could get in a local shop.

September 14, 2011, 01:37:41 AM
Reply #13

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
That tool looks great! Hobbylinc? HLJ? I like the deep rust color too.
Throw it Hard

September 14, 2011, 02:08:33 AM
Reply #14

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
It engraves the forming block!

September 19, 2011, 08:33:00 AM
Reply #15

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
Thanks Grail!  The tool is from... I think eBay lol.

Well I got some new hardware that should help a bit on my projects, and I'm so jazzed about it I have to share it here.  I got a new Nikon D7000.  It really is a great camera body and takes video too!  I'll probably start taking some videos here soon.

Actual update time though - So I've figured about 25 steps in all starting from priming to finished for a full weathering.  I'm at about step 17 or so in the process on my 2 beta pieces, so bare with me.

Dunking the pieces in H2O makes the salt rub off easier, and allows the paint to be 'scratched' a bit more realistically too.

Pieces have been salted, panel lined, decal-ed, metallics painted, and a black wash for oil drips/water drips has been added.  Next is the brown wash and real fun work of weathering.

September 19, 2011, 02:47:20 PM
Reply #16

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
Great looking shots Major. Looking good :-)

September 19, 2011, 04:14:08 PM
Reply #17

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Thanks Grail!  The tool is from... I think eBay lol.
Why are you laughing out loud if you can't tell me the answer? That isn't funny you know. I may feel sad now   :lol: ;) :razz:

This is looking great Major.  8) The colors are sickness!  :yeah:
I love the red primer look underneath and the way it contrasts the military-ish blue/grey. The chipping is looking fantastic too.
One thing I noticed was what appears like larger brush strokes on the leg in the second from the bottom pic? I'm not sure what's up there from the pic,but sort of caught my attention, maybe check that out?

Otherwise,this is all up on's, like a boss :)
Awesome. Each model seems to be getting better by the way :)
Cheers

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:16:33 PM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

September 19, 2011, 11:11:24 PM
Reply #18

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I agree with Grail, the red rust under the dull grayish colour really pops and makes this look very very awesome :)
I really like how that AE decal turned out after scratching it up.

Grail, it should be pretty easy to find that (or similar) tools. They're known as Scriber Templates as far as I know. HLJ definitely carries a bunch, if you do a search for 'scriber template' (or even just 'scribe') you come up with these (and more!):

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGTP-1
http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMAB-03

September 19, 2011, 11:55:35 PM
Reply #19

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Grail, it should be pretty easy to find that (or similar) tools.
Thanks dude. Appreciate it. I actually have those ones though. I did mean the one the Major used in particular.
I'm mostly joking about it anyhow. No worries.

So will there be a base with this one ? The spacemen on the last build was such a nice touch to ground the kit.
Throw it Hard