Author Topic: Halloween Nightmare!  (Read 3476 times)

August 08, 2011, 05:17:45 AM
Read 3476 times

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
Back when I was a kid (and dinosaurs still roamed the Earth) everybody went Trick or Treating.  It was an innocent time, before shitbirds and rapists and evildoers ruined it for everyone, and the scariest things were monsters and creatures and slimy things, not asshats who put razor blades in apples or rat poison in Pixi Stix.

Adam Dougherty (who is a 22 year old sculptor rapidly making a name for himself in the GK world) has created a series of four monster scenes that debuted at Wonderfest (the one in Louisville, not Tokyo) this year.  These kits perfectly capture that innocent time, when Halloween was for making your own costumes and running the streets for hours with your buddies, when parents stayed home and passed out candy until 10:00 at night.  I was privileged to get an early copy of Adam's first kit in the Halloween Nightmare series, the Mummy.

Each of these pieces is chock full of juicy detail, and the characters ooze personality, something we don't see in so many of the sterile kits produced these days.  At $200 each they're a bit steep for some folks, but I think they're worth every pfennig, and I've got the rest of the set on the way.

This is my pass at the first one.  Paint is all acrylic.  Most of the paint was shot with my Iwatas, but I did the fine detail work with a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity.  Leaves, candy, grasses, and foliage were hand-painted.

August 08, 2011, 05:18:09 AM
Reply #1

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile

August 08, 2011, 06:41:01 AM
Reply #2

manyueru

• Information
    • View Profile
    • plamonation
Awesome work and impressive kit. Love your painting on the dirty bandages, the vibrant colors on the cowboy cloths and how they contrast between them. Candies are a 'sweet' and colorful touch. Really nice. Thanks for sharing.

August 08, 2011, 08:33:08 AM
Reply #3

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Looks good. Cartoonish which I like and Halloween which I love. The rags on the mummy look great. SO what scale is it? $200 doesn't sound bad... unless it's like 1/20 scale.

August 08, 2011, 09:20:14 AM
Reply #4

Joa

• Joachim Höstlöf
  • Information
    • View Profile
Marc, I really Love your choice of colors!!!!!!
It's like .. the mummy is painted to look "real" while the trick or treater looks more like pulled from a cartoon palette wise.
I really, really dig it!

*edit .. oh, and Plus one! ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:20:54 AM by Joa »

August 08, 2011, 09:30:49 AM
Reply #5

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Beautiful, the rags do look great and so does the mummy's face! That guy's got mad skillz and your paintjob does justice to the quality of the sculpt.

August 08, 2011, 10:44:27 AM
Reply #6

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
Mike - its 1/20.

Joa - I got a Karma!  Wow, thank you!  Its been a coupla years since that happened.

Thanks, guys!

August 08, 2011, 10:47:44 AM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Mike - its 1/20.
Hahaha! Oops! That definitely makes the detail more impressive then.

August 08, 2011, 10:55:11 AM
Reply #8

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
Oops - brain fart.

I meant to say 1/6.  Doh!

August 08, 2011, 12:00:42 PM
Reply #9

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Oh, okay... whew! Then yeah, $200 is totally appropriate then. If at 1/20... you need a less greedy caster! :lol: Still nicely detailed.

August 08, 2011, 11:44:28 PM
Reply #10

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
The details are superb, down to the pattern on the bandana and even the handprint and initials on the concrete. The color for the candy is so vibrant. All the textures look so real and spot on.

September 03, 2011, 10:29:35 PM
Reply #11

e47art

• Information
    • View Profile
    • e47art
That's a great kit! Great work on the paint job. I like the bright colors on the kid and the subdued palate on the mummy.