Author Topic: Junkyard 'Dog  (Read 5924 times)

August 05, 2011, 06:33:48 AM
Reply #20

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks PetarB, yeah the saw does like it could so some serious damage! :-)

Next step is the billboard sign for the junkyard, this step was frustrating as hell, for various reasons (mainly my own stupidity! :lol:) so i'm pleased I kept going and worked through the annoyances!

I started by cutting some balsa planks and a couple of bits of square balsa dowel for to make the main body of the sign

The next thing I did was to create the artwork for the sign in Adobe Illustrator CS4. I purchased some decal paper and printed it out as a water slide decal and put it onto a thin sheet of white styrene and glued onto the front of the sign

I then cut some larger pieces of square dowel for the supports and legs, I cut the legs so scale wise the sign is about 15 feet tall

Now, this is the part where I lost my temper, it had been a fiddly job and was frankly doing my head in I used a crap load of superglue on this thing to hold it all together and of course it had soaked into the wood and thus the watered down ink wash I wanted to use wouldn't soak into those places and left some horrible big marks all over it.  My solution? Throw it in the bin, shout, swear a lot. :stupid:

After I'd calmed down a few hours later I did fish it out of the bin as I'd put a lot of work into it and felt stupid as I hadn't realised in the first place that I should just paint over it :doh:
So The next step was to spray it over with tamiya white

I was very pleased as where the wash had managed to saok in it acted as pre shading and I think it looked much better like this than bare wood anyway.
Then I gave the sign some light weathering with some mig pigments

Then using some zpoxy 5 minute epoxy glue (which I can highly recommend as an excellent glue much better than the double syringe type) I attached it to the base, and edged the sign with some styrene L channel which was also weathered with mig pigments.

Also did some light weathering on the back with more mig pigments.

Now to work on some of my junkyard details, thanks for looking.
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 05, 2011, 06:36:52 AM
Reply #21

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
That sign is badass, I really like how it turned out. The wooden backside looks fine to me!

August 06, 2011, 04:21:57 AM
Reply #22

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Shark.  Yeah it looks fine now its painted but before the white it looked a real mess! I would have taken a photo but at that stage I was too angry and it was in the bin! :lol:
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 06, 2011, 09:46:27 PM
Reply #23

Jin Seo

• Information
    • View Profile
The sign is simply awesome.  :twitch: It may be a bit to clean for the rest of the Diorama and the Votom?! But see for yourself.   

August 06, 2011, 10:55:59 PM
Reply #24

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Love this sign!  8)
Throw it Hard

August 07, 2011, 06:30:04 AM
Reply #25

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Grail appreciate it :-)

Thanks Jin yeah  I know its a little light, but because I went so heavy on the scopedog weathering I wanted to keep everything else light as a bit of contrast plus I didn't want it all to look like a big chipped rusty blur where nothing stands out particularly if you know what I mean

Thanks for the comments guys, more updates soon, its nearly done!  :D

August 07, 2011, 09:33:12 AM
Reply #26

Asmodeous

• Information
    • View Profile
I know I'm a little late but I have a question.  The ladder looks odd in the front.  Couldn't a simpler ladder be added to the backpack?  Like an aircraft ladder.  A simple single leg with rungs alternating on each side.  Same figure would work but it wouldn't interfere with the movement and detract from the front of the mech and would add a little to the back.  Just my 2 cents.

August 08, 2011, 01:44:56 AM
Reply #27

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Hey Asmodeous, no problem I like having peoples 2 cents!

I purposely wanted the ladder on the front as I took my inspiration from the large dump trucks that have ladders on the front like this : -

The hatch hinges from the shoulders so the ladder couldn't be on the back, as the guy would have to clamber over the generator and around the shoulders to get round to the front, and Jims Junkyard has tight health and safety regulations :lol:
As for the design of the ladder I really dont like those simple jet ladders, I wanted something a bit more beefy to fit with the feel of the mech and the work it now does.

I did think about how it would block the legs though, so I cut it in half and put some hinges on it to show that it folds in half when the guys in, overall I was going for looks over practicality, however the movement of a scopedog can never be that impeded anyway as it has wheels in the soles of its feet.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment, thanks for looking :-)

August 08, 2011, 05:21:57 PM
Reply #28

Asmodeous

• Information
    • View Profile
No prob.  In my mind I'll just make it detachable as to conform with my brain.  Heh  Great work though.

August 09, 2011, 02:54:30 AM
Reply #29

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
haha Thats cool Asmodeous, at the end of the day if everyones brain worked in the same way this forum wouldn't be the diverse collection of great modellers that it is.  Thanks again.

More updates soon :-)

August 09, 2011, 11:12:53 AM
Reply #30

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
I love where this wip is going. I also really dig the ladder in front in "dumptruck mode" :) It feels more real.I dig the folding idea too.
I've spent a lot of time around heavy equipment,and my friends family had a wrecking yard very similar to the sign. This brings me back to Jim's junkyard.   ;)  
Great work.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:19:27 AM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

August 10, 2011, 01:52:41 AM
Reply #31

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thank you Grail I appreciate the compliment :-), I must admit I'm really pleased with how the scopedog turned out.

Been working on a few details for the junkyard

I've got a few 1/20 scale palettes that I found on ebay a while back so I dirtied up one of those, and used a few bits and pieces from the tamiya pit crew set and the cheap model car I bought.

I created the nylon rope using some white cord and leaving it in some greyish blue tamiya overnight which gave it that cheap blue nylon rope look, hairsprayed and chipped the gas cylinder, but only lightly. The plastic bottle/container was just sprayed with olive green and then dry brushed with a lighter green and pigmented to dirty it slightly and blend the colours together a little more, I purposely left the seam line running down the middle of it so it looked just like a cheap plastic container.
The bonnet of the car was dirtied up with a dark clay based wash I use and then further staining was added using graveyard dirt mig pigment, the palette was dirtied up with a dark wash and pigments.
The tires were sanded down and pigmented to give a slightly worn look, the toolbox was left pretty clean and gloss coated to look new so as to contrast against the rest of the dirty stuff, it cant all be dirty and worn! :-)

Next I wanted a roll of chainlink fence in the background too so I rolled up some mesh that I cut at an angle to get the chainlink diamond pattern and sprayed it up with alclad gloss black primer ready for the metal finish.

Next step is to do some tools to put around the toolbox and put the metal coat on the roll of fence and then its time to sort out the layout.

Phew! Nearly there! Thanks guys more soon :-)

August 14, 2011, 11:47:19 PM
Reply #32

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Everything is now done and in place, thanks again for all the positive comments guys, heres a link to the completed diorama

http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6351.0

:-)