Author Topic: Paint storage question. Heaty garages.  (Read 3898 times)

July 18, 2011, 09:38:06 PM
Read 3898 times

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Hey guys.
I know some of you have some garages that get pretty hot. Do you store paint in there? Model kits?  
Matt M, I saw your vids and I see you store your models in cabinets in the garage. No meltdowns or anything?

We just moved and I have a garage setup finally. It isn't too hot.(probably about 25C  77-80F degrees at the highest)
I don't know of a temp those products like,I'm thinking that may be too hot to store my Thinners,Tamiya paint ,Alclad paint, etc.. ?  :unsure:
It's perfect paint drying temp,but I'm really unsure about storage. I can put them in the same type cabinets and/or on my paint rack. Or should I just bring them in the house?
I just don't want them to evaporate or dry out too quick. I have always had them in really cool places until now.

Same question for my expensive resin kits and plastics?
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks everybody,.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:40:36 PM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

July 19, 2011, 08:29:50 AM
Reply #1

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Hey guys.
I know some of you have some garages that get pretty hot. Do you store paint in there? Model kits?  
Matt M, I saw your vids and I see you store your models in cabinets in the garage. No meltdowns or anything?

We just moved and I have a garage setup finally. It isn't too hot.(probably about 25C  77-80F degrees at the highest)
I don't know of a temp those products like,I'm thinking that may be too hot to store my Thinners,Tamiya paint ,Alclad paint, etc.. ?  :unsure:
It's perfect paint drying temp,but I'm really unsure about storage. I can put them in the same type cabinets and/or on my paint rack. Or should I just bring them in the house?
I just don't want them to evaporate or dry out too quick. I have always had them in really cool places until now.

Same question for my expensive resin kits and plastics?
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks everybody,.

No meltdowns.  Even though it's hot it would take a lot more to effect the resin and as long as your paints are closed up tight they will be fine.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

July 19, 2011, 09:44:02 AM
Reply #2

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Thanks a lot! Appreciate the info  8)
Throw it Hard

July 20, 2011, 07:20:03 AM
Reply #3

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
I live in the same state as Matt (Texas) and where I live it's been around or over 100 F for several weeks now.  I store all of my modelling supplies in an uncooled storage shed with the exception of the decals.  Those are inside where it's relatively cool (I keep the thermostat at 75 F).  The reason I do this is I noticed some of them started yellowing after being in the heat for not too long.  I haven't had any problems with the kits, paint, thinner, etc at all yet (and they've been in there for well over 2 years by now).  I do have IP and resin kits out there, too.

July 20, 2011, 05:02:07 PM
Reply #4

Kylew

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Plamo UK
25 Celsius is perfectly fine. The room I store all my shop paints in, and I mix them up in often hits 32 Celsius and it doesn't have a detrimental effect on my paints at all. So that's many many litres/gallons of paints, thinners, primers and other things that are fine in the heat. :D

August 01, 2011, 08:56:46 AM
Reply #5

beaveren

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi of 108 here today...hate to think what the temp in the garage is...maybe I will move the thermomter out there just out of curiousity.  :pirate:

B

August 01, 2011, 09:11:15 AM
Reply #6

psecody

• Information
    • View Profile
Nice to see some more Texas folks on here. As soon as I read the original post I started wondering about doing that here haha (Arlington, Texas) but I don't think I could sit out in the garage long enough to do very much haha. I know my dad left his modeling supplies out in his shop where it got ungodly hot but his stuff is for RC planes so he doesn't have paints and stuff. Nice to hear if I need to move out there my paints won't all dry up though.