Author Topic: GSB 1/100 Xeku Zwei Commision!!!  (Read 16538 times)

July 05, 2011, 06:21:47 AM
Reply #20

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
This is EXACTLY what I do.  It works really well.  I have the Core Works GP04 solid as a rock, even the back pack/propellant tanks because of how well this method allows for accurate pining. 

Everything looks great so far Matt! I'm really enjoying watching this build!
Building Gundam Kits since 1995

July 07, 2011, 05:05:53 AM
Reply #21

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Another small update.  I was able to get the left arm pinned last night.  It's just missing the little arm and fingers that hold the rocket.  I also started to pin the massive gun and test fit it. So far so good.  The gun is absolutely huge and weighs several ounces by its self.

If I have time I will try to get the right arm pinned tonight and see how the balance is.  Keep your fingers crossed.

SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

July 18, 2011, 09:08:03 AM
Reply #22

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
This weeks update!!! WE GOT LEGS!!!!!  Well he has had legs but now they are attached and he is standing all by himself.  I tried dong some work on saturday but I lasted a whole 5 minute sin my garage.  The themometer read 99 degree.  But yesterday it got down to a balmy 90 degrees so I got a lot accomplished.  I t may not look like much but I spent a good part of the day getting the legs pinned to the torso as well as getting the large back pieces roughed in and pinned to the torso.

For the feet I am using 1/4" aluminum rod and as you can see I have kept the rod long to hold the feet in position as I worked on getting the thighs lined up.

Once I had things lined up, I pinned the thighs to the waist using 3/32 brass rod.  I used a slightly smaller drill bit and in doing so I hope to avoid having to epoxying the legs to the body.  So far there are no weight issues.  Once the thighs where pined and fitting the way I wanted I epoxied the ankles together with 5 minute epoxy.  This will create a little more masking but I rather have him solidly standing.  He is solid as a rock.

I used 1/4" aluminum rod for the hinges on the large back pieces.  I ended up cracking one of the hinges in the process but some epoxy fixed it in no time.

Here is how he is looking.  You can really get a sense of the size of this guy.  Things are going smoothly but the heat has been terrible.  I hope to get the pinning finished in the next week or so then onto priming.

As always thanks for looking.

July 18, 2011, 01:28:04 PM
Reply #23

ZLuca

• I can't remember..
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kallamity.com
Fantastic work on a wonderful kit!
And looking for you will put covers of the "waffles" on front-skirts.  :lol:
Can't wait to see paint process on this beast man!

Luca

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:31:11 PM by ZLuca »

July 18, 2011, 02:18:28 PM
Reply #24

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Damn, I like this design so much!

July 18, 2011, 02:41:48 PM
Reply #25

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Fantastic work on a wonderful kit!
And looking for you will put covers of the "waffles" on front-skirts.  :lol:
Can't wait to see paint process on this beast man!

Luca

Thanks Z,  Yes there are covers for the missile launchers but they need some serious straightening. 

I can't wait to see paint as well.   :wacko:

July 18, 2011, 03:25:38 PM
Reply #26

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
So far so good... :-)

I am happy to read that you are having no issues with the legs, I was wondering how the legs would hold up the rest of the model.

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see the finished model.  8)
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

July 18, 2011, 06:32:39 PM
Reply #27

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Looking awesome Matt!   :yeah:   I'm sure your client is excited. I love your pinning technique. I may try that.
Normally I dab the drill hole with a drop of wet paint and do the same thing. It leaves me with a ring for a template. Do you have trouble with the sticky tac heating up and getting all stuck on any parts? Speaking of,please view my question coming up in the help thread..

Since you are taking video requests now?  :D  :shifty:   :razz: 
I would love to see some footage of somebody doing a boil and re-shape technique. Any chance? This is still a speed bump for me..  :doh:
I'm opening all my kits into the new garage (we moved) and I'm about to tear into a lot of fun big kit resin projects soon.
Really cool wip. Can't wait to see the rest, You are really doing a pro job as usual.  8)
Throw it Hard

July 18, 2011, 10:40:44 PM
Reply #28

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
This thing looks like a beast, definitely looking forward to seeing more.

July 19, 2011, 09:59:29 AM
Reply #29

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Looking awesome Matt!   :yeah:   I'm sure your client is excited. I love your pinning technique. I may try that.
Normally I dab the drill hole with a drop of wet paint and do the same thing. It leaves me with a ring for a template. Do you have trouble with the sticky tac heating up and getting all stuck on any parts? Speaking of,please view my question coming up in the help thread..

Since you are taking video requests now?  :D  :shifty:   :razz: 
I would love to see some footage of somebody doing a boil and re-shape technique. Any chance? This is still a speed bump for me..  :doh:
I'm opening all my kits into the new garage (we moved) and I'm about to tear into a lot of fun big kit resin projects soon.
Really cool wip. Can't wait to see the rest, You are really doing a pro job as usual.  8)

Yes I will be doing a video on straightening resin.  It's not super hard you just have to be careful not to over heat the resin that it turns to mush.  I will be doing a video once all the pinning is done and I have identified all the problem areas.

July 19, 2011, 10:08:34 AM
Reply #30

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Yes I will be doing a video on straightening resin.
Awesome!  Thanks!
It's not super hard you just have to be careful not to over heat the resin that it turns to mush.
Exactamundo... This is where I need to figure this out. I am getting scared of creating many mushy robots  ^_^
Throw it Hard

July 25, 2011, 04:39:35 PM
Reply #31

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Small update.  Armed and Dangerous!!!!  I didn't do a whole lot this weekend.  We had company and we had our 24th day in a row of 100 degrees or higher but I did spend some time last night getting the massive gun pinned and fitted to the arm.

It's just freaking huge.

I hope to get the other arm pinned during the week.

As always thanks for looking!!!

July 27, 2011, 10:53:43 AM
Reply #32

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I really like how this mech looks and that gun is huge!

Great build so far, following with interest! :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 12, 2011, 06:52:16 PM
Reply #33

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
It's so tiny. :razz: Looks like a beast to work on and keep together. Heavy chunks and all.

September 19, 2011, 04:30:03 PM
Reply #34

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Another update!!! No pics but a video instead.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIqbD6iQpho

September 19, 2011, 05:20:34 PM
Reply #35

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Nice! Looking good. Great vid info. I may start doing these out of lack of typing prowess. :) Cool unique kit too.
I love that you sand prime sand. etc. I can imagine that smooth feeling finish on your clean kits. Cool.
So as a gauge you don't go higher than 400 on your clean kits before final primer? Just curious. I heard a rumor that Bono does up to like 1600. :twitch: :wacko:
I see you prefer rattles primer. Me too. I use Duplicolor and Krylon. I also love the spray tops. It makes all the difference in the world.

It was Major Williams that did the Hi Nu bust with PLamo. I am more and more interested in these paints though.
I just saw the other kits you smashed out hella fast and that color looks SWEET!
Sooo.. Resin warping vid!  :yeah:
Half of my G Sys kits are older(with what seems like a lot of flash and warping issues)and I have a bitch of a time finding a sweet spot trying to fit parts and not melt them down.  :doh:  haha.
Cheers dude. Excellent project wip.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:14:33 AM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

September 19, 2011, 06:52:08 PM
Reply #36

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Hey man, thanks for looking.  I do 400 for the first round of sanding and then re-prime.  If it looks good thats it, other wise I will hit it with a 1500 micro clothe to smooth it all out.  I find that with a dull finish 400 scratches do not show up in the end product.  For gloss finish you have to go higher,  1000 would be high enough for gloss. 

I am not sure what Bono does but his works are the smoothes I have ever seen.  I just don't have the patience to do that.

September 20, 2011, 12:18:41 AM
Reply #37

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
I am not sure what Bono does but his works are the smoothes I have ever seen.  I just don't have the patience to do that.

Yeah, 1000 is pretty high,and really pretty awesome for a smooth finish. There was a guy called KYY on another site I used to check out,who painted smooth like Bono. I heard it was by using each grit from 400 all the way to 1600.. that's bananas.  :twitch:
Can't wait to see the rest of your wip.
Throw it Hard

September 20, 2011, 05:08:58 AM
Reply #38

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
Lookin' SAAAAAAAAWEEET!  Keep up the good work dude!  8)
Building Gundam Kits since 1995

September 24, 2011, 09:28:52 PM
Reply #39

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
For kits that have a lot of pieces like this how do you keep straight which piece is which and the handedness? For instance, there are probably at least a few parts that are nearly identical on both the left and right side. And in general how do you keep track of so many parts?